Help in choosing a 5.1 setup

PB 2000 was available for 95k before the lockdown. After the pro series has come out, the prices of the earlier models should have gone down. It's not worth paying anything above that. Also from the main dealer or websites, the prices are generally high. When you personally talk to a dealer and show interest, you do get a decent discount. At least I had got a 25k discount.
The prices of everything in general from laptops to speakers have increased.
Also if you have a good understanding with your neighbours don't worry about traveling vibrations. Everything can be sorted out amicably. Just concentrate on getting a good subwoofer. Since Movies without a subwoofer ain't no fun as certain lfe tracks are specifically put in for the purpose of enjoying them with subs which you won't even get from most of the big floor standers.

The PB-2000 is available for around that same price (after discount). If what the Pro offers is not worth the extra 14-15K, I'll take it off the list. :)

Each room is different. You'll have different modes, which maybe you can correct with two subs if you go that route. Not sure how well it'll work at your place though, but worth looking into. Walls will have different resonant frequencies, where their sound attenuation will drop to 15-20 dB. So even if the absorb the rest and prevent your neighbor from hearing, the resonant frequencies will leak out. Even if it works for someone else, it might not for you.

I have had trouble with noise from neighbors, which I managed to stop, but low frequency noise from gym in the next building and then from a restaurant across the road has been a PITA.

Let me give you another example. Went to a theater to watch a horror. They have a popular club below them. Low frequencies could be heard from the pub inside the theater. Never went there again.

If you get a monster sub that can hit 20 Hz even at 60-70 dB during a film, that's going to leak out. To whom and where, that depends. Even if the brick wall can attenuate it; don't know how much, because most sound attenuation data doesn't measure for such low frequencies; you can have most of it leaking from your main door for example if you're in your living room or your windows, and then reach your neighbors.

Mmmm. :) Will have to see I suppose.

Mmmm. :) Will have to see I suppose.

Here's an example. Now it's not a brick wall, but you can see how the noise reduction levels drop rapidly at lower frequencies. Doesn't go below 31.5 dB. A 20 Hz sound wave is a powerful wave. If it's absorbing 40 dB at 60 Hz, which is actually not bad at all, and I'll wager it's better than a brick wall of similar depth, the absorption at 31.5 Hz is lower than 20 dB.

Maybe you should get one with a return policy.

Here's an example. Now it's not a brick wall, but you can see how the noise reduction levels drop rapidly at lower frequencies. Doesn't go below 31.5 dB. A 20 Hz sound wave is a powerful wave. If it's absorbing 40 dB at 60 Hz, which is actually not bad at all, and I'll wager it's better than a brick wall of similar depth, the absorption at 31.5 Hz is lower than 20 dB.

Maybe you should get one with a return policy.

Does anyone offer a return policy? :O

Does anyone offer a return policy? :O

Dealers do abroad. Not sure if anyone will allow here.Maybe you can get one from a friend for testing or some member here. Even if it's not the same sub, doesn't matter. Just get a sub hat reaches 20 Hz. Play pink noise at 80 dB and see what leaks out.

The PB-2000 is available for around that same price (after discount). If what the Pro offers is not worth the extra 14-15K, I'll take it off the list. :)

As compared to the earlier PB/PC 2000 series, the Pro series has a newer driver, little more amplification(which does not matter), app control (apparently a lot can be done here to fine tune the sub to your liking) & port tuning options(sealed or ported mode).

I talked to a few vendors. Everyone is quoting two issues :

1) Increase in dollar rates
2) Imported/Distributor increasing price

I am not sure if anyone is providing any of those subs for the prices people are talking about. :(

I talked to a few vendors. Everyone is quoting two issues :

1) Increase in dollar rates
2) Imported/Distributor increasing price

I am not sure if anyone is providing any of those subs for the prices people are talking about. :(
What is the maximum you are willing to spend on a subwoofer ?

Right now, I guess yes. But I am not sure if I want to. Have to move in 11 months. :)
Why I am suggesting dual is you don’t have to crank the volume high in a dual set up and worry about vibrations. With a dual set up the bass will be smooth. Since you are going to move after 11 months plan accordingly. Have you finalised what type of house you will be moving and what room you will have the HT set up?

Difficult to predict the kinda house I'll be moving into. :) But, dual subs seems impractical right now. :)
Ok but i would advice to plan accordingly to the new house you will be moving. Right now your set up is going to be in a big room but in the new house if you are going to set it up in a smaller room you have lot of options for a much lesser price. Since you are interested in sealed sub look at REL HT series. HT1205 has a mrp of 99k but you should be able to get 15% discount. It is a 12inch 500 watts sealed sub. I would advise to plan according to the new room since you are sure that within 11 months you will be re-locating

Ok but i would advice to plan accordingly to the new house you will be moving. Right now your set up is going to be in a big room but in the new house if you are going to set it up in a smaller room you have lot of options for a much lesser price. Since you are interested in sealed sub look at REL HT series. HT1205 has a mrp of 99k but you should be able to get 15% discount. It is a 12inch 500 watts sealed sub. I would advise to plan according to the new room since you are sure that within 11 months you will be re-locating

Mmmm. Lemme think. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back