Help in choosing a 5.1 setup

Nope. :) So far I have managed to audition the Q Accoustics QB12, a Paradigm one (don't remember the model as I was not exactly looking to audition it), XTZ 12.17 and SVS SB/PB 2000s.
Call up Santosh from Prosonics (+919900068654) who can set you up for an audition with Rythmik subs. Do a quick read on Rythmik website to get an idea of the models offered and why they're good.

Okay...you are referring to 3030i right.

I have personally experienced 3050i and can vouch for its vocals and pinpoint centre imaging. The only thing I did not liked about it was it's stand. It's clumsy and the provided rubber sleeve makes it to wobble a bit on concrete floors. I had to purchase additional metal spike rest for it.

What avr would you be using?

Yeah, 3030i. :)

I thought the 3050i had metal spikes ? And additional rubber sleeves ?

The AVR I have in mind as of now is the Denon X3600H.

Last edited:
Call up Santosh from Prosonics (+919900068654) who can set you up for an audition with Rythmik subs. Do a quick read on Rythmik website to get an idea of the models offered and why they're good.

Ok, lemme see. A question though - is it very different from the SVS, XTZ etc ? Performance wise... Cost wise ? (I mean, yeah, there is a possibility that it might sound different to me)

Ok, lemme see. A question though - is it very different from the SVS, XTZ etc ? Performance wise... Cost wise ? (I mean, yeah, there is a possibility that it might sound different to me)
It is competitively priced. With most speakers, you gotta hear it to like it.

One more question. How does the vibrations generally travel? In my apartment, we share a wall with our neighbour. Its a solid wall (should be some kinda brick) and is around 6" thick. This wall would run along the right side of the HT. Once I setup the HT, I'll definitely talk with them to figure out the "limits", but still, do you guys think that this could be a major problem?

I have Q Acoustics 3050i and 3090Ci and a Xtz 12.17 edge sub.
I think the sub is great for movies.
Yesterday i was watching True Lies, and the scene where Arnold Schwarzenegger lifts off in the F- 16 ( Or was that Mig ? ) you literally feel its taking off in your room lmao.
I have this sub since almost a year now and i find it really good for movies. It pressurizes the room enough and my room is an open kind, opens to the whole house. Few days and im taking my system in a dedicated sealed room for HT and lets see how it performs there.
I say, if you get the Edge for a proper price, just grab it. And Yes im going duals with the Edge in sometime.
Btw, are QA 3030i available ? Need to get them for surrounds and rear surrounds.

One more question. How does the vibrations generally travel? In my apartment, we share a wall with our neighbour. Its a solid wall (should be some kinda brick) and is around 6" thick. This wall would run along the right side of the HT. Once I setup the HT, I'll definitely talk with them to figure out the "limits", but still, do you guys think that this could be a major problem?

Low bass is hard to stop. It can travel long distances. In apartment, with a shared wall, you shouldn't be getting a sub in my opinion. Plus, it's not just your next door neighbour you'll have to worry about, but the ones above and below you too.

Certain vibrations do go through walls. You do get sound isolators for subwoofers which are supposed to isolate these vibrations from the floor/walls. Pls don't order the sound path isolators from SVS from Amazon as they are being sold at a ridiculous price.

These may reduce the vibrations to a certain extent. I am sure other FM's can chip in how to reduce these vibrations in a cheap & effective way. Another way to reduce vibrations is to activate the "LFC" (low frequency containment) setting in the receiver(Marantz /Denon) especially for late night listening.
Pls also hear the Rythmik subs as another FM has suggested as they are a reputed company. Also do not discount the subs of FM's @ Vivek Batra & Love4sound & the other FM's. Evalute all the subs & dont make a hasty decision. Go for the best for your room, tastes & budget.

Certain vibrations do go through walls. You do get sound isolators for subwoofers which are supposed to isolate these vibrations from the floor/walls. Pls don't order the sound path isolators from SVS from Amazon as they are being sold at a ridiculous price.

These may reduce the vibrations to a certain extent. I am sure other FM's can chip in how to reduce these vibrations in a cheap & effective way. Another way to reduce vibrations is to activate the "LFC" (low frequency containment) setting in the receiver(Marantz /Denon) especially for late night listening.
Pls also hear the Rythmik subs as another FM has suggested as they are a reputed company. Also do not discount the subs of FM's @ Vivek Batra & Love4sound & the other FM's. Evalute all the subs & dont make a hasty decision. Go for the best for your room, tastes & budget.

Cheap and effective ways to reduce vibrations please. :) And once I have the setup ready, I'll directly go to my neighbors place and check.

And as per general consensus (here and in other forums), I decided to increase my budget to accommodate a better sub. I hope it would last 15 years. :p

I am seriously considering the PB-2000 Pro. After a little bit of reading, inputs from the dealer at Home Cinema and inputs from the SVS "sound experts", I felt that it gives me a lot of options and controls. It's "sealed" mode looks promising (if/when needed that is).

And about the subs from the other FMs. Though I personally don't have anything against getting them, the Mrs. rejects the idea of getting used stuff above a certain price point. :)

I have Q Acoustics 3050i and 3090Ci and a Xtz 12.17 edge sub.
I think the sub is great for movies.
Yesterday i was watching True Lies, and the scene where Arnold Schwarzenegger lifts off in the F- 16 ( Or was that Mig ? ) you literally feel its taking off in your room lmao.
I have this sub since almost a year now and i find it really good for movies. It pressurizes the room enough and my room is an open kind, opens to the whole house. Few days and im taking my system in a dedicated sealed room for HT and lets see how it performs there.
I say, if you get the Edge for a proper price, just grab it. And Yes im going duals with the Edge in sometime.
Btw, are QA 3030i available ? Need to get them for surrounds and rear surrounds.

Did not find the 3030i listed anywhere.

How much did you get the Edge for?

Cheap and effective ways to reduce vibrations please. :) And once I have the setup ready, I'll directly go to my neighbors place and check.

And as per general consensus (here and in other forums), I decided to increase my budget to accommodate a better sub. I hope it would last 15 years. :p

I am seriously considering the PB-2000 Pro. After a little bit of reading, inputs from the dealer at Home Cinema and inputs from the SVS "sound experts", I felt that it gives me a lot of options and controls. It's "sealed" mode looks promising (if/when needed that is).

And about the subs from the other FMs. Though I personally don't have anything against getting them, the Mrs. rejects the idea of getting used stuff above a certain price point. :)
Wat offer did u get for pb2000 pro? Mrp 1.3L in their site which is quite high.

Low bass is hard to stop. It can travel long distances. In apartment, with a shared wall, you shouldn't be getting a sub in my opinion. Plus, it's not just your next door neighbour you'll have to worry about, but the ones above and below you too.

:|

I am at a loss for words. Suggestions from people with HTs living in apartments?

I am at a loss for words. Suggestions from people with HTs living in apartments?
Myself and a lot of fm’s here are having the HT set up in apartments. You are getting to confused, paranoid. Just fix a budget for a sub and get the best available. Don’t worry to much as we can calibrate it to not disturb the neighbors.
1.1 as of now from one vendor. Expecting a quote from one more. Need to see if I can get it down to 1L.

Might also go for the PB-2000 which was cheaper. :)
1L itself is very high and IMO not worth it. One FM I know recently got a PSA 15inch for 1.17L sealed sub. If you don’t know PSA I can assure you they make beast of subwoofers which are even better then svs. Look at rythmik lvx12 which is fairly priced . If you are willing to spend a lakh or more go for the sealed PSA. If you want to spend 80-90k go for the rythmik or the pb2000

Last edited:
1.1 as of now from one vendor. Expecting a quote from one more. Need to see if I can get it down to 1L.

Might also go for the PB-2000/XTZ 12.17 Edgewhich were cheaper. :)

PB 2000 was available for 95k before the lockdown. After the pro series has come out, the prices of the earlier models should have gone down. It's not worth paying anything above that. Also from the main dealer or websites, the prices are generally high. When you personally talk to a dealer and show interest, you do get a decent discount. At least I had got a 25k discount.
The prices of everything in general from laptops to speakers have increased.
Also if you have a good understanding with your neighbours don't worry about traveling vibrations. Everything can be sorted out amicably. Just concentrate on getting a good subwoofer. Since Movies without a subwoofer ain't no fun as certain lfe tracks are specifically put in for the purpose of enjoying them with subs which you won't even get from most of the big floor standers.

Last edited:

Each room is different. You'll have different modes, which maybe you can correct with two subs if you go that route. Not sure how well it'll work at your place though, but worth looking into. Walls will have different resonant frequencies, where their sound attenuation will drop to 15-20 dB. So even if the absorb the rest and prevent your neighbor from hearing, the resonant frequencies will leak out. Even if it works for someone else, it might not for you.

I have had trouble with noise from neighbors, which I managed to stop, but low frequency noise from gym in the next building and then from a restaurant across the road has been a PITA.

Let me give you another example. Went to a theater to watch a horror. They have a popular club below them. Low frequencies could be heard from the pub inside the theater. Never went there again.

If you get a monster sub that can hit 20 Hz even at 60-70 dB during a film, that's going to leak out. To whom and where, that depends. Even if the brick wall can attenuate it; don't know how much, because most sound attenuation data doesn't measure for such low frequencies; you can have most of it leaking from your main door for example if you're in your living room or your windows, and then reach your neighbors.

Myself and a lot of fm’s here are having the HT set up in apartments. You are getting to confused, paranoid. Just fix a budget for a sub and get the best available. Don’t worry to much as we can calibrate it to not disturb the neighbors.

1L itself is very high and IMO not worth it. One FM I know recently got a PSA 15inch for 1.17L sealed sub. If you don’t know PSA I can assure you they make beast of subwoofers which are even better then svs. Look at rythmik lvx12 which is fairly priced . If you are willing to spend a lakh or more go for the sealed PSA. If you want to spend 80-90k go for the rythmik or the pb2000

Mmmm. The PB-2000 goes a little over 90. And as mentioned, lemme see if I can audition the Rythmiks. :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back