Help in stereo set up

amit505

Hello all forum members,

I am new to the forum and a newbie in this field.
So I need help in setting up a stereo set up for my room. I've a pair of speakers from my Sony FH B190 system. I am looking for an amplifier to power these speakers.
My budget is 7-8K which can be stretched a little bit. Can anyone help me find a good amplifier. I've heard good reviews of Norge 4242. Also is there a way how I can connect my creative 2.1's sub woofer to the amplifier via tape out or any other way just for some extra bass?

Taking baby steps at becoming an audiophile, shall also upgrade the speakers in the near future.

Thanks and Regards,
Amit

Hi Amit,

Since you are from Mumbai, it will be a good idea to take your speakers and CDs to Norge at Mahim. You can then get an audition and decide. I think the 4242 should be OK, but you need to check the ratings of your speakers before you decide on a suitable amp. Mr Bajaj of Norge is very knowledgeable and would help you out in this regard.

Hello Amit,
Welcome to the Forum. For your Speakers you could check with NorgeAmp or any Pre owned amps from Nad, ,CA,Sansui.
I do See a Add in OLX for Sansui au x501 , which would fix within your budget.- I dont have any relation with the Seller- Just informing you.

2.To connect your Sub from Amp, You need a Sub Out and its a rare functionality available in basic Stereo amps. Also your 2.1 would be connected through only 2 RCA pin for right and left, which will feed the Sub woofer without a dedicated connection from DVD to 2.1.

A good Amp should give you enough Bass, Just try setting stereo and go for sub in case you are not satisfied.

Hello all forum members,

I am new to the forum and a newbie in this field.
So I need help in setting up a stereo set up for my room. I've a pair of speakers from my Sony FH B190 system. I am looking for an amplifier to power these speakers.
My budget is 7-8K which can be stretched a little bit. Can anyone help me find a good amplifier. I've heard good reviews of Norge 4242. Also is there a way how I can connect my creative 2.1's sub woofer to the amplifier via tape out or any other way just for some extra bass?

Taking baby steps at becoming an audiophile, shall also upgrade the speakers in the near future.

Thanks and Regards,
Amit
You have not mentioned about the power ratings of the speakers, but overall I think it will be better to go in for Norge 2060, they will be better able to drive the speakers than 4242.

Regarding creative subwoofer, it can be used using the recording out of the Norge amp, but provided your creative sub woofer has it's amp and volume and other controls in it, and not on the front speakers. As per specifications of Norge, the rec out of Norge amp is a line level out (not pre out) and it gives out exactly that what is put into either of the inputs of the amp, so we can assume that your creative sub should work fine. But finally it will be better to check it out practically.

If not a Norge, try OLX... They are flooded with used goods (both stereo & AVR)... for a 7 - 8K budget, you might easily find a stereo amplifier with pre-outs too...

Later you can add a DAC to improve your performance than upgrading your speakers...

Thank you guys for your prompt reply and sorry for reporting late.
Finally a month back I bought the Norge 4242 connected to my Sony FH B190 speakers powered by my PC via 3.5mm converter.
Have to still connect and check out the sound quality through the Pioneer DVD.
Till now am satisfied with the sound quality.

I tried connecting the creative sub woofer through the tape out using a converter, however the bass response is very minimal. The sub does work but the thump is minimum though the bass knob is on max. Since it was not that useful I've disconnected the sub.
Any specific reason why this would be happening?

The Sony speakers do have nice bass but don't go too low like the creative sub used to.

Regards,
Amit
search

You have not mentioned about the power ratings of the speakers, but overall I think it will be better to go in for Norge 2060, they will be better able to drive the speakers than 4242.

Regarding creative subwoofer, it can be used using the recording out of the Norge amp, but provided your creative sub woofer has it's amp and volume and other controls in it, and not on the front speakers. As per specifications of Norge, the rec out of Norge amp is a line level out (not pre out) and it gives out exactly that what is put into either of the inputs of the amp, so we can assume that your creative sub should work fine. But finally it will be better to check it out practically.
It's a question regarding Rec out and Line out. Can we use Rec out from an integrated amplifier to send signal to another integrated amplifier or active speaker. Hope there will be no harm to the preamp sec of the other/second integrated amplifier or the active speaker. I have seen that REC out the signal is consistent with considerable volume. There must be a difference between Line out and Rec out, which is more safe for the kind of connection I am talking about.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back