Help in Upgrading floor standing speakers

If it's purely for music then dont look any further than a stereo amplifiers.
Kindly state your budget so the members can suggest wisely.
Elacs are power hungry speakers so choose wisely.
Budget is approx 50000 can stretch a bit.
But then i will also be using it for movies partly. I still can take back my old avr and leave it for movies. And buy a new stereo amp seperately. Then my budget will go down to 35000 for the amp.

DenonAVRx2500 H available on amazon at around 57000. Will it be a good optio

Budget is approx 50000 can stretch a bit.
But then i will also be using it for movies partly. I still can take back my old avr and leave it for movies. And buy a new stereo amp seperately. Then my budget will go down to 35000 for the amp.
I did the same. Realised after spending a lot that stereo is my first preference.
Look for marantz pm6006 or nad c326bee in that budget. These are some highly regarded entry level amplifier.

I did the same. Realised after spending a lot that stereo is my first preference.
Look for marantz pm6006 or nad c326bee in that budget. These are some highly regarded entry level amplifier.
Thanks alot for the advise. Will the marantz sufficiently power the elacs

You can go with Marantz SR5012 now as it's available for great price on Hifimart. Marantz avr are more detail and insighful and soundsignature more towards musical side . Later on you can add two channels power amplifier if required or front speakers. i.e. Elac dubut F6.2 are powe hungry speakers as mentioned by FM. In this way you can have best of both the worlds within your limited budget and can have great scope for future upgrade in terms of power amplifier . Adding power amplifier for front channels will give you better musical experience and will enhance movie watching experience as you have more power for remaining channels.

Thanks for the reply. Today sold my old avr. And have just ordered the elac debut 2f6.2. So now i am looking for a reciever to match the speaker. Would really like a suggestion from you . needs a good powered amp.
OK, let me throw some theory out there for consumption.
You may read this and eschew or toss it out the window :)

Speakers are rated at a particular operating range and max power.
In case of ELAC Debut 2F6.2, the sensitivity is 87dB and max rating is 140W.
This tells me that the max SPL possible by this speaker is about 108dB.
This is 108dB at 1 meter at max power rating.

Typically one would need an SPL of 80-90 dB for music listening at seating position.
So you are covered in this aspect from a speaker point of view.
80-90dB, in my opinion, is quite loud, but your ear/room experience may be different.
Ideally, a speaker operating below its 60-70% of max SPL is a happy one.
The LF driver excursion (start/stop) is well controlled, etc, etc.
In theory, these ELACs may need 25-50W of clean power to shine and excel.

Now coming to the power amplification part.
Amps are quite happy when they are not pushed beyond 50-60% of their rated power during continuous listening.
Peaks are different; a speaker nominally loading an amp at say 30-40W and occasionally demanding 50-60W is normal.
When driven hard, amps become unhappy, heat up, cause distortion, clip, etc, etc.
Clipping is dangerous, as it can damage LF drivers and tweeters in speakers.
When clipping occurs, woofers will complain audibly, tweeters will silently die.

I have not personally heard out the speakers selected by you, so can't comment on its behavior.
If I were to choose a stereo amp or an AVR, I would look for a power capability in the range of 50-80Wpc minimum.
Reason being, if an amp can do, say 80W max, it will behave reasonably well in the 25-50W nominal operating range.
Stereo amps usually specify what they can support at 8 ohm and 4 ohm loads, full frequency range
AVRs usually specify only 8 ohm loads, full frequency range.

ELACs are 6 ohm nominal, don't know minimum.
FMs who own these towers can chime in with better understanding of matching amps/AVRs.

Cheers,
Raghu

You can go with Marantz SR5012 now as it's available for great price on Hifimart. Marantz avr are more detail and insighful and soundsignature more towards musical side . Later on you can add two channels power amplifier if required or front speakers. i.e. Elac dubut F6.2 are powe hungry speakers as mentioned by FM. In this way you can have best of both the worlds within your limited budget and can have great scope for future upgrade in terms of power amplifier . Adding power amplifier for front channels will give you better musical experience and will enhance movie watching experience as you have more power for remaining channels.
Thanks for all the inputs. It has been a great learning experience. The Marantz is rated at
180w at 6 ohm , 1khz, 1% 1ch driven
160w at 6 ohm , 1khz,0.7% 2ch driven
100w 8 ohm , 20 hz-20khz, 0.8% 2ch driven.

Will this be able to sufficiently drive the elac

Typically one would need an SPL of 80-90 dB for music listening at seating position.
80-90dB, in my opinion, is quite loud, but your ear/room experience may be different.

Amps are quite happy when they are not pushed beyond 50-60% of their rated power during continuous listening.
Peaks are different; a speaker nominally loading an amp at say 30-40W and occasionally demanding 50-60W is normal.
When driven hard, amps become unhappy, heat up, cause distortion, clip, etc, etc.
When clipping occurs, woofers will complain audibly, tweeters will silently die.

I have not personally heard out the speakers selected by you, so can't comment on its behavior.
If I were to choose a stereo amp or an AVR, I would look for a power capability in the range of 50-80Wpc minimum.
Reason being, if an amp can do, say 80W max, it will behave reasonably well in the 25-50W nominal operating range.
Stereo amps usually specify what they can support at 8 ohm and 4 ohm loads, full frequency range

FMs who own these towers can chime in with better understanding of matching amps/AVRs.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks alot raghu.
Thanks for all the inputs. It has been a great learning experience. The Marantz is rated at

Thanks alot raghu.

The highlighted one is the only spec that makes sense. Others are page fillers.
In theory, it should be a good pairing. Maybe FMs who have similar pairings will be able to confirm.
Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
Great write-up Raghu.
M also eying elac unifi b5 bookshelf which is rated at 4 ohms. The amp I am trying to pair it with is Peachtree decco 125 which is a class d 120 WPC amp. Do u think it should be enough or just enough?
Some say that these speakers need real power to shine. Unable to find any audition feasibility in Bangalore :-(
Apologies for deviating a bit from OP's intent. Can start a new thread if need be

Great write-up Raghu.
M also eying elac unifi b5 bookshelf which is rated at 4 ohms. The amp I am trying to pair it with is Peachtree decco 125 which is a class d 120 WPC amp. Do u think it should be enough or just enough?
Some say that these speakers need real power to shine. Unable to find any audition feasibility in Bangalore :-(
Apologies for deviating a bit from OP's intent. Can start a new thread if need be
OP has audition constraints due to remote location.
In Bangalore, try Dynox in Rajajinagar. They deal with ELACs.
An active hear out will give you an idea of what you're chasing.
Cheers,
Raghu

thanks alot for the advice. Just ordered the Marantz SR5013 from Hifimart. If not for your advise I would have not made this choice. So thanks alot for your valuable input.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back