Help me decide CDT or CDP

jigarpatel

Hi Everyone

I am in search of a suitable CDT or CDP for my Home Stereo. My budget is 50000 to 120000.

My Current System
Source:
Intel NUC, Google Chromecast Audio, TV -> All connected to DAC
DAC: Danafrips Ares II
Integrated Amp: Naim Nait 5si
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 225

My requirement:
1. play Compact Disc - Must.
2. play SACD - optional ( DAC does support native DSD playback ).

My Shortlists:
1. Matching CDP from Naim cd5si
2. Marantz SA8005
3. AudioLab 6000CDT
4. Cambridge Audio CXC v2
5. Sony x700 - Blu-ray player would be welcome, but priority is CD playback SQ.
6. Marantz ND8006 - it's CDP and Streamer and DAC, Again priority is CD playback SQ, Also I don't want another DAC.

My confusion or require more information from audio experts
Naim cd5si is natural partner with Naim Nait 5si vs CDT connected to DAC -> which one will give better SQ.

I understand Naim cd5si is natural partner with Naim Nait 5si -> will give sound signature because of different DAC used.
and CDT connected to my DAC will give familiar sound signature with more details.

Hi Everyone

I am in search of a suitable CDT or CDP for my Home Stereo. My budget is 50000 to 120000.

My Current System
Source:

My requirement:

My Shortlists:
2. Marantz SA8005
3. AudioLab 6000CDT
6. Marantz ND8006 - it's CDP and Streamer and DAC, Again priority is CD playback SQ, Also I don't want another DAC.

Naim cd5si is natural partner with Naim Nait 5si vs CDT connected to DAC -> which one will give better SQ.

I understand Naim cd5si is natural partner with Naim Nait 5si -> will give sound signature because of different DAC used.
and CDT connected to my DAC will give familiar sound signature with more details.

Hi Jigar,

At that budget I would suggest change your speakers as you will get a bigger upgrade. Something like the kef ls50 would give you much better sound.

If you still want a cd player go for a proper cd player as it will have some resale value. Unfortunately even at 1.2L the best cd players probably would be from naim and Cyrus unless your open to buying a used one.

... change your speakers as you will get a bigger upgrade.

+1 to this suggestion.

Your speakers are several classes below the rest of your chain. 225s are nice and warm and decent sounding for the price but clearly the bottleneck in your audio chain.

+1 to this suggestion.

Your speakers are several classes below the rest of your chain. 225s are nice and warm and decent sounding for the price but clearly the bottleneck in your audio chain.
I understand, due to current situation will not be able do demo of speakers. Even had good talk with my friend, he also suggested to invest in speaker and buy blu-ray as transport.

Any one have experience in using sony udp-x700 as CD transport, worried about resampling 44.1 khz cd output to 48 khz.
Since manual mentioned only 48/96/192 khz. Attaching screenshot from manual.

Sony udp-x700 manual page 21.jpg

I would also go with the same suggestions as above, get a good speaker for that price for the best impact as that is the bottleneck even now and may be even more so in the future with a dedicated CDT

Speakers are available on Hifimart or maybe with other dealers and anything in the 60-1L range would work great. eg Fyne audio ,Dynaudio etc which should match your amp.

I believe most of the new Blueray players do a great job as a CDT. Do make sure you get a good digital cable ( Optical or Coax) with it and there are threads in the forums with some good advice on those.

I would suggest to go with Audiolab CDT and a Wharf Evo 4.2. You will get both of tehm for INR 120 to 130k from hifimart .
Ps. I have not heard both of them, but going with the reviews, they seems really good.

Hi Everyone

My Current System
Source:

My requirement:

My Shortlists:
2. Marantz SA8005
3. AudioLab 6000CDT

Hello,

I am vivesh!! I noticed something strange here with your current configuration. Great to know that you bought the audiolab cd transport. It must be sounding great there is no doubt about it as I own a audiolab 6000n streamer of same family, so I know it.

Here two things I like to make you aware.
First eliminate the chromecast audio device from your chain. This is not a good sounding streamer!! It is just okay for its price. If you do not notice that yet please do a comparison between your cd transport and chromecast audio by playing the same track. You will hear day and night difference.

Secondly the wharfdale 225 are good speakers but I am not sure they are transparent enough to let you see the subtle difference between your new cd transport and any good cd player!! If possible go for floorstanders from wharfdale.

By the way if you want to buy a new budget streamer you should consider allo digione player. It sounds great and it will wipe off chromecast audio in sound quality when you will connect that to your external dac. I have one with me and it is just one month older in top notch condition. I am looking to sell it.

Thanks,
Vivesh

Hi Vivesh,

Thanks for your advise,
First eliminate the chromecast audio device from your chain. This is not a good sounding streamer!! It is just okay for its price. If you do not notice that yet please do a comparison between your cd transport and chromecast audio by playing the same track. You will hear day and night difference.
I do understand chromecast audio is not so good, however I am using for spotify and amazon music exploratory music only for that I don't require good streamer. May be in India once we have lossless streaming then it would be good time to invest in good streamer.
For my critical listening I am using Intel NUC with Daphile, all my music in WAV or FLAC.

Secondly the wharfdale 225 are good speakers but I am not sure they are transparent enough to let you see the subtle difference between your new cd transport and any good cd player!! If possible go for floorstanders from wharfdale.
As pointed out by many FM, I know wharfedale 225 is weakest link in my chain. I already have plan to upgrade to better floor-standing speakers.
However due to current COVID situation, audition of speaker is not possible, hence the upgrade of speaker will come later.

The shorter the path the better it is. Again the fewer the clocks and cables in between the clocks the better it is unless it's a matched system from the likes of dCS! In simple terms keep it simple looks for great single box cd player.

Hi Jigar,

Have you received Audiolab 6000CDT? What are your first impressions? How do you like the pairing with Naim amp?

Thanks,
Shyam.

Build Quality:
  • Excellent build quality, very sturdy.
  • You can't hear CD spinning.
  • No issues of skipping of tracks or not reading disk.
  • Fast CD loading time.

Compression: Intel NUC (Ripped CDs) vs AudioLab 6000CDT
Intel NUC Setup: Daphile OS (Loaded into RAM), Songs (Loaded into RAM), Songs are ripped using EAC. -> USB DAC
AudioLab 6000CDT Setup: AudioLab 6000CDT -> Coaxial DAC.

Below initial impression is what I feel better compared to Intel NUC Setup
Bass: Very controlled and detailed, In bass I noticed bigger improvement.
Mid-range: Better tone and vocals are clear.
High Frequency: More airy and detailed.
Sound-stage: Major improvement in sound stage, instrument separation is very good. Little bit bigger sound stage.

Below are some improvement points, I am nitpicking it, none of them are deal breaker.
  • Instead of rubbery type coating on body I would have loved matte type coating, something similar Naim Nait 5si or Denafrips Areas
  • Front power LED is very bright
  • After inserting CD, it does not start playback automatically. You have to press "Play" button.
  • Remote could have been better designed ( or could only be CDT specific ), bag ergonomics of remote very long remote.

Overall I am very happy with AudioLab 6000CDT purchase.

Below two point never consider while buying CDT or CD Player, but it's good human factors to consider.
  • There is good feeling associated with picking your CD, putting into CD Player and listen to it.
  • it's simple way for my parents to play songs, no fiddling with smart phone app.

Build Quality:
  • Fast CD loading time.

Intel NUC Setup: Daphile OS (Loaded into RAM), Songs (Loaded into RAM), Songs are ripped using EAC. -> USB DAC

Sound-stage: Major improvement in sound stage, instrument separation is very good. Little bit bigger sound stage.

Below are some improvement points, I am nitpicking it, none of them are deal breaker.
  • Instead of rubbery type coating on body I would have loved matte type coating, something similar Naim Nait 5si or Denafrips Areas
  • After inserting CD, it does not start playback automatically. You have to press "Play" button.
  • Remote could have been better designed ( or could only be CDT specific ), bag ergonomics of remote very long remote.

Below two point never consider while buying CDT or CD Player, but it's good human factors to consider.
  • There is good feeling associated with picking your CD, putting into CD Player and listen to it.
  • it's simple way for my parents to play songs, no fiddling with smart phone app.
Thanks. That's a great summary. Couldn't agree more about the feeling of putting a CD in the player. Plus the satisfaction of browsing through the liner notes.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's a great summary. Couldn't agree more about the feeling of putting a CD in the player. Plus the satisfaction of browsing through the line notes.
Thats what the Vinyl folks also say ! The CD had an added convenience of a remote control and one did not have to go over to flip it. And now streaming takes convenience to the next level :)

Build Quality:
  • Fast CD loading time.

I too have a streamer (and a CD transport. the Sound quality of the transport is far better but the convenience of the streamer is really compelling.
From all I have read, computer audio needs a lot of investment of time/effort and not necessarily money to get right very much like a Vinyl setup.

CD transports also do need some effort especially around power and vibration control especially around isolation.The smallest of ground vibrations can make an impact and simple solutions like a half filled cycle tube under the CDP or even 1/2 cut squash balls can help isolating it,

Back