Help me decide: Denon vs Marantz

Amarendra

Hi,

Need your inputs on deciding between the following:

1. Marantz SR5007: INR 48k
2. Denon x2000: INR 55k (before discount)

Theres also the new Yamaha (675) which is expected to be available by end July for INR 45k (with step down transformer) for the US model.

Intend to use with Monitor Audio MR series (yet to buy) after transferring my existing Monitor Audio M2 as rear speakers.

I have heard the Marantz 5007 and the Denon 2113 (earlier version of the x2000). However both were at different locations with different speaker sets. Hence a comparison is becoming difficult. I heard the Marantz with the tiny Boston Acoustics speakers and some small Boston book shelves which were placed at ceiling height. I heard Denon with Jamo floor standers.

Room size is about 23X13

Use: Music: 50% and Movies: 50%

Some of the dealers gave very negative feedback about Marantz on account of malpractices and lack of service support- but not sure how true this is.

Also some dealer mentioned that the Marantz will find it difficlut to drive floor standers since Marantz amps are weak and best for stereo use. However Marantz has that premium aura around it which is why I am not keen to discount them in a hurry.

Let me know your views.

Have both the 5007 and 2113 with me. Speakers, cables, source remaining constant, for me its the Marantz all the way. For music and movies both.

For your room size, it would be prudent to opt for the step ups.

Thanks Shuv- do you think that the Marantz is better for music ? That seems to be a common understanding. Also did you face any issues with the 5007. Did you find the 5007 underpowered compared with the 2113

Amarendra, the 5007 is definitely better for music. Its just a week old, hence can't comment on reliability. Neither feel underpowered for my room size. But yes, the Marantz does seem to have a slightly higher headroom vis-a-vis the 2113.

Build quality of the Marantz is also better than the Denon. Remote, GUI etc is rather similar.

Speakers are Focal Chorus standmounters FYI.

Thanks Shuv- do you think that the Marantz is better for music ? That seems to be a common understanding. Also did you face any issues with the 5007. Did you find the 5007 underpowered compared with the 2113

I am using Marantz SR5006 AVR with MS Aviano 6 FS. It is fine for music and movie.I think so it able to drive FS some limit .

Can someone suggest me avr for jamo c607 setup. I am thinking about sr5007 or denon 2313 or x2000.

having heard the c 607 with a denon 231*i would recommedit all the way
nice speaker
that the denondrives it effortlessly

Between Marantz and Denon, atleat till x006 models, I prefer marantz for their music capabilities.

I would not discount Yamaha either, if your general listening levels more than medium. Yamaha 673 sounded really good in a loud music set up.

Hi,

Need your inputs on deciding between the following:

1. Marantz SR5007: INR 48k
2. Denon x2000: INR 55k (before discount)

Theres also the new Yamaha (675) which is expected to be available by end July for INR 45k (with step down transformer) for the US model.

Intend to use with Monitor Audio MR series (yet to buy) after transferring my existing Monitor Audio M2 as rear speakers.

I have heard the Marantz 5007 and the Denon 2113 (earlier version of the x2000). However both were at different locations with different speaker sets. Hence a comparison is becoming difficult. I heard the Marantz with the tiny Boston Acoustics speakers and some small Boston book shelves which were placed at ceiling height. I heard Denon with Jamo floor standers.

Room size is about 23X13

Use: Music: 50% and Movies: 50%

Some of the dealers gave very negative feedback about Marantz on account of malpractices and lack of service support- but not sure how true this is.

Also some dealer mentioned that the Marantz will find it difficlut to drive floor standers since Marantz amps are weak and best for stereo use. However Marantz has that premium aura around it which is why I am not keen to discount them in a hurry.

Let me know your views.

Let me state what I am aware of.

1. Marantz SR5007 is 100 watts-per-channel and Denon 2113/X2000 is 95 watts watts-per-channel. So both are almost on par.

2. There is a wide spread gossip/rumor that both Denon and Marantz share the same hardware platform (as both come under one single company).

3. I have heard Marantz SR5006 while auditioning few bookshelf speakers and I was comparing it with an integrated amp. I must say that Marantz wasn't too behind. I felt the sound being warm and nice. Of course it is unfailr to compare Marantz SR5006 with a dedicated amp.

4. Even let's say both Denon and Marantz are equally good, I would still go for Marantz SR5006 for the simple reason that it has 7.1 channel pre-outs. Pre-outs are found only in higher end Denon models (3313 and above). This would help you to connect an amplifier in case you upgrade your speakers.

5. Finally, I would say forget every thing and take time for audition. Also, you will find both Marantz and Denon easily for audition. I would suggest you buy your speakers, take it for along with you for audition as well. I personally feel both Denon and Marantz are equall good, but it may differ with you.

6. Regarding Yamaha, they are equally good. SO again go for audition.

denon/marantz/ yamaha are equally good amps for music. you may decide on listening. However, denon is better for movies among the three.

Hi, finally picked up the Marantz 5007. Also buying the Monitor audio M4 floorstanders as fronts and transferring the Monitor audio bookshelves (M2) as surround. These floorstanders are 6 ohms 91 db speakers. Will this be too much load for the Marantz?

I am not very knowledgeable in this matter but I think 91db represents good sensitive speakers and the Marantz should be able to drive them nicely. Do let us know how the combo fairs.

Hi Amarendra, I used to drive my magnats 92db with the Marantz SR3001 - 65 watt avr in a fairly big room, never had to cross the half way volume mark, not to worry at all. Your avr is more than enough even for difficult speakers.

without going into service and warranty details, I would go with Marantz if you prefer a warmer sound. They work great for music as well as movies. But you can't go wrong with either. I would demo both and then decide.

Congratulations Amarendra, that is nice AVR. Try playing around with the Source Level for different sources. And, if you manage to connect this to a network, please let me know. Can't figure it out.

Hi, finally picked up the Marantz 5007. Also buying the Monitor audio M4 floorstanders as fronts and transferring the Monitor audio bookshelves (M2) as surround. These floorstanders are 6 ohms 91 db speakers. Will this be too much load for the Marantz?

A very good AVR you have bought. You shouldn't have any problem as such driving your floor standers which have a very good sensitivity. Congrats !!!

Hello,
I am currently planning to buy Marantz 5007/ Denon X2000 and Jamo 626 5.1 speaker includes Jamo Sub 310/360. I live in NCR region, can somebody suggest a good shop from where I can buy this?
The price mention here is almost year old for Marantz 5007. The quote that I got is very high. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back