Help Me please!!!!

Sriram88

Hi All,

I am new to this site and I have a serious problem... Some one plz plz plz help me.

I purchased samsung 32EH5000 LED tv a week back. This is my first HD tv and now I went to purchase a home theatre. I have always wanted to get a powerful home theatre system preferably YAMAHA YHT 196.

But on speaking to my Samsung dealer today i came across a serious drawback in my TV.

1. SAMSUNG EH 5000 does not support optical connections. So thats ruled out.
2. SAMSUNG EH 5000 Does not support ARC Out either and hence hdmi audio streaming for telivision channels is also ruled out.
3. What the sales rep suggested is to buy an Audio jack splitter which when connected to audio jack... Splits as white and red socket to which he asked me to connect the home theatre system. My big question is WILL IT NOT DEPRECIATE MY YAMAHA HT AUDIO OUTPUT???
4. I also want to connect my XBOX and get 5.1 o/p
5. The next big problem is there is only one row of Audio Video jack ports behind TV which is already used by DTH Service

Could some one please suggest me as to what I can do given the conditions and also enjoy a good HT EXPERIENCE. I already feel I made a bitter mistake by choosing this telivision model.

Some one bail me out please... Suggest a connection pattern and if possible a good speaker option for my limited connectivity.

Thanks in advance !!!!!

Hi All,

I am new to this site and I have a serious problem... Some one plz plz plz help me.

I purchased samsung 32EH5000 LED tv a week back. This is my first HD tv and now I went to purchase a home theatre. I have always wanted to get a powerful home theatre system preferably YAMAHA YHT 196.

But on speaking to my Samsung dealer today i came across a serious drawback in my TV.

1. SAMSUNG EH 5000 does not support optical connections. So thats ruled out.
2. SAMSUNG EH 5000 Does not support ARC Out either and hence hdmi audio streaming for telivision channels is also ruled out.
3. What the sales rep suggested is to buy an Audio jack splitter which when connected to audio jack... Splits as white and red socket to which he asked me to connect the home theatre system. My big question is WILL IT NOT DEPRECIATE MY YAMAHA HT AUDIO OUTPUT???
4. I also want to connect my XBOX and get 5.1 o/p
5. The next big problem is there is only one row of Audio Video jack ports behind TV which is already used by DTH Service

Could some one please suggest me as to what I can do given the conditions and also enjoy a good HT EXPERIENCE. I already feel I made a bitter mistake by choosing this telivision model.

Some one bail me out please... Suggest a connection pattern and if possible a good speaker option for my limited connectivity.

Thanks in advance !!!!!

You can get a cheap mediaplayer to play movie contents dumped on HDD.
If you have DTH-HD,then connect digital out of it to Yamaha.
This should work.

This is not really a big problem, you can output the sound sources directly to the HT system from the respective sources (STB, dvd player, media player etc.) and simply put the TV internal mute on. Connect the video wires directly to the tv... Problem solved!

Edit: just read your post and you are saying the tv has only one set of video inputs (if I have understood correctly). Given that, u simply need to buy a hdmi switching capable AVR, whereby all your sources will connect to the AVR, and you can simply connect the TV to the HDMI out of the AVR. I am not aware of your budget, if you mention that, the members here would be able to help you out with suggestions

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
YHT 196 has 3 hdmi in and 1 hdmi out and 2 optical in. Your tv has 2 hdmi in. What is the problem here. You can connect all your devices hdmi devices like blyray, dvd , stb etc to the hdmi in of the reciever and also the xbox optical in to the reciever. The hdmi out on the reciever would go to your tv's hdmi in and you'll have everything working.

Maybe i'm missing something here as i do not see a problem at all. ARC is required if you play content from your tv's usb port if it is capable of playing video files, so that you can transfer the audio to the reciever.

Maybe i'm missing something here as i do not see a problem at all. ARC is required if you play content from your tv's usb port if it is capable of playing video files, so that you can transfer the audio to the reciever.

I was also getting confused till I realised that the OP is looking at connecting an 'output' from the TV to the AVR.

OP, the TV must be the last point in you AV chain.

Connect the STB to your AVR, and an HDMI cable from the 'out' of you AVR to the TV. That is all you have to do. A TV can never be a source.

An HDMI carries digital signal, so don't worry about the TV not having a digital out.

Cheers

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

I guess i have been misleaded by the sales rep.

What I heard from him was that my tv cannot be connected to home theatre system via hdmi for getting a 5.1 o/p on dth channels (espn, star etc) as my tv does not have ARC OUT. In order to get the output I need to plug the speakers into the audio jack which would degrade the sound effects. All this conversation I had with sales rep were on basis of a samsung home theatre model under 20k but then I made up ma mind to go for Yamaha reading reviews here.

But now to clarify my understanding In order for me to enjoy a 5.1 HT sound out put what i need to do is
Connect my Yamaha HT to TV via HDMI (I believe absence of ARC Out would not inhibit this step)

Connect ma DTH, Xbox and DVD player to Yamaha via HDMI (one at a time)

While playing movies from USB on tv would the above step apply for getting o/p on HT?

My tv's connectivity options as listed in Samsung is

dts 2.0+Digital Out - Yes (dts 2.0 Only)
HDMI 2
USB 1
Headphone 1
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV)
1 (Common Use for Component Y)
RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input) 1

Is absence of Digital Out some thing critical I am missing?

Please correct me If any of my understanding is wrong.

I have narrowed down on Yamaha 196 after checking a reviews here and also today had a demo of it.

My budget is 25k. In this range is there any other models better than Yamaha YHT 196.

THANKS!!!

Doesn't your TV have a HDMI connection ? You need to connect all your sources (Like Xbox, blu ray player) to your Yamaha receiver and connect your receiver to TV using a HDMI cable.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

What I heard from him was that my tv cannot be connected to home theatre system via hdmi for getting a 5.1 o/p on dth channels (espn, star etc) as my tv does not have ARC OUT. In order to get the output I need to plug the speakers into the audio jack which would degrade the sound effects. All this conversation I had with sales rep were on basis of a samsung home theatre model under 20k but then I made up ma mind to go for Yamaha reading reviews here.

But now to clarify my understanding In order for me to enjoy a 5.1 HT sound out put what i need to do is
Connect my Yamaha HT to TV via HDMI (I believe absence of ARC Out would not inhibit this step)

While playing movies from USB on tv would the above step apply for getting o/p on HT?

HDMI 2
USB 1
Headphone 1
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV)

I have narrowed down on Yamaha 196 after checking a reviews here and also today had a demo of it.

My budget is 25k. In this range is there any other models better than Yamaha YHT 196.

THANKS!!!

Also demo Onkyo HT-S3500............very good value for money!!!

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it.

HDMI 2
USB 1
Headphone 1
Component In (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite In (AV)

THANKS!!!

Yes if you play movies via your usb sound mb default will be from your tv not your HT. But I dare say the usb movie playing feature on the Tvs are quite useless, u will be far better served with a cheap media player like even the asus o play mini

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Kaushik,

Thanks for your advice. However there is still some thing puzzling.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterglossary/g/Audio-Return-Channel-Arc.html

With reference to this article i understand that since my TV does not have ARC out, HDMI connection between my TV and Yamaha HT could not be established so as to cater the audi demands of other devices connected to Yamaha HT. Or along wth an HDMI do i need to establish any other uplink conenction from Yamaha HT to TV?

Is my understanding right or am i missing some thing??

You are mistaken about ARC feature. You don't need ARC to enjoy 5.1 sound from your devices. Connect all your devices to AVR using HDMI and decoding will be done by AVR. ARC or optical out in TV is needed only if you use TV USB for playback.

okay...here's a quick primer for you...

Typically what you would do is to connect your source (DVD player, Set top box etc.) to your AVR (the big ugly box thingy that's usually called the home theater). The AVR is then connected to your speakers (5.1 - 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer or some similar combination). the AVR is also connected to a display (TV or a projector).

In such a scenario, the sound is not expected to come from your TV but from your speakers. The TV is for the video bit.

What the salesman might be talking about is connecting the audio out of your TV to the AVR. That is needed if your TV is connected to the cable TV or TV antennae directly. Or if you are playing some stuff from a USB stick connected to your TV. That is rarely the case these days (well at least the former scenario).

So is that a dealbreaker? absolutely not. IMHO, your TV is fine. Just do some more research on home theaters to learn the nuts and bolts (here's a good place to start) and go have fun.

Thanks Xaviour, so in this case i understand your explanations on the connections to be made from devices viz Xbox, DTH etc to AVR.

From AVR what mode of connection do i need to establish with TV, HDMI would suffice??

Connect all devices to AVR using HDMI
Connect HDMI out of AVR to TV

Did you buy Yamaha 196? It seems an old model. Latest version of Yamaha is 296. You need to check whether the AVR supports audio over HDMI. Some old AVRs don't support HDMI audio.

Hi, Thanks. I am yet to buy scouting between Yamaha and Onkyo...yet to decide... appreciate your suggestions, if any.

Sriram,

Please don't panic. As explained by many earlier, your TV should be the last point in the chain. Once the connected to the Monitor Out (HDMI) of the AVR, the TV will show the pictures and if its speakers are not muted, then the sound too. But once you have an HT in place you do not need to the TV speakers at all, so go to its menu and turn off the TV speakers (or reduce the TV volume till you figure that out).

Just to repeat, connect your set top box (STB) video and audio out to one of the 'in' ports of the AVR (your AVR will have the option of connecting more than one source). If the STB has an HDMI out it is just one cable with an HDMI connector at each end, but if it does not then connect the Red and White (audio) and the Yellow (video) 'OUT's to the respective 'Source In' of the AVR. This type of 3-Wire (or 2-Wire for Audio only) connector is also known as the RCA cable. (A google image search will shown you many examples)

Most modern AVRs will have an option of connecting the Display (the TV, in your case) with an HDMI OUT, also called Monitor in some AVRs. This should be preferred. However the AVR will also have an option of connecting through an RCA Cable, should the Display lack HDMI in.

I'm sure you would have figured it all out anyway, but I thought I'll throw some free 'gyan' your way. :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back