Help need to setup HT - Epson tw 8100

nSinghal- Thank you for your post-- I learned something new about the 5020 / 8100 projector. Can you share a picture of your mount and projector?

@nSinghal-- I know it is a PITA to ceiling mount a Projector-- But that is the way the projector is designed to be installed.

If you end up placing the on a high shelf- then you will need to keystone correction to compensate the image

Another option is to flip the projector on the high shelf-- this is identical to mounting it on the ceiling

The TW8100 has lens shift so it won't need keystone correction to be placed on a shelf...

Let me know, once you get back today and we can discuss. Thank you.

Hi All,
I had been to demo of both 6100 and 8100.Both the projectors looked extremely good and 8100 is huge. I made them play the same source on both the projectors and tried to see the difference but myself and my friend could not find any drastic difference.

Experts can let me know what I could have missed.
Content 3D - LG bluray demo
Content 2D - Some HD content songs played from blu ray.

The major difference is Lumens & Contrast Ratio
Brightness 2300 lumens
Contrast Ratio 40000 :1

Brightness 2400 lumens
Contrast Ratio 320000 :1

Lumens : Since both were demoed in dark room could not find a major change and even in future I would rarely use it in daytime and also my living room where i plan to use projector is pretty dark anyway.so I guess not a major issue

Contrast Ratio : Afaik this feature boils down to see the black things black but somehow my mind was focussed on seeing other colors and might have missed out to see the difference or probably the video source was not the ideal one to compare.

Since my plan is to have a projector for living room for 110 " screen size or 8" * 6" screen size I felt 8100 is a huge projector to be wall mounted and might look odd so I will probably go for 6100 suits my need.

But I'm curious to know from others as to what I should have been really comparing with these projectors to see the difference.Even the guy there suggested difference can be hardly seen so go for 6100 probably now with the extra amount I will spend on better screen :)

@ Soamz : There are more than 5-6 setup so you can see demo of all huge screen sizes ( 10 feet ,11 feet etc .. width wise ) .I did not specifically ask for a 150" inch screen though as the person who showed me was talking in terms of feet and was relatively new.
The quote of 1.23l for 8100 you got is the best till now. Amazing!!
Can you update the cost of 6100 from the dealer as well ?

Last edited:
nSinghal- Thank you for your post-- I learned something new about the 5020 / 8100 projector. Can you share a picture of your mount and projector?

Here you go...
imageopfr.jpg

A total waste of 4000 bucks :sad:

Anyways, here's 3 images to showcase its lens shift capabilities.

Aligned to my screen...
imagewsz.jpg

Max vertical lens-shift upwards (PJ mounted upside down). Notice the bottom most part of the image showing above the screen at the top.
imagevat.jpg

Max vertical lens-shift downwards (PJ mounted upside down).
imagefqn.jpg

Hi All,
I had been to demo of both 6100 and 8100.Both the projectors looked extremely good and 8100 is huge. I made them play the same source on both the projectors and tried to see the difference but myself and my friend could not find any drastic difference.

Experts can let me know what I could have missed.

The 6100 doesn't have lens shift and has a smaller zoom range. So its going to be lot more limited in its placement.
Black levels and contrast are supposed to be better in 8100 but guess first time PJ buyers like you and me probably won't notice the difference right away.

Harsha, thanks for posting your detailed review. This cleared a lot of doubts in my mind. Being a newbie to proj based HT, i think i won't really notice much difference in picture quality - i'm not a critical viewer, i think 6100 would be enough in terms of picture quality.
@nsinghal, thanks for the great pictures buddy. I had only heard of what lens shift can do, but these pictures are a revelation.
I think lens shift is the only killer feature for beginners like myself between 6100 and 8100. The kind of placement options is mind boggling. But is that enough to shell out an additional 30k is to be pondered. I'm very close to making a decision :)

Harshi,

Please be assured that a huge projector will not look odd etc but will make the room look more better because it is a lovely looking gadget.

V.

Since my plan is to have a projector for living room for 110 " screen size or 8" * 6" screen size I felt 8100 is a huge projector to be wall mounted and might look odd so I will probably go for 6100 suits my need.

just bought the epson 8100W for 1.31 lakhs incl VAT and installation and transportation (plus 1 pair of 3D glasses free) so i think 1.23 as the OP suggested is in fact very good. ill post reviews of my 8100 once its hooked up. also bought liberty grandview manual screen 133" @ Rs. 16K (again incl VAt and installation and transport). i think i am overpaying ont he screen but thats OK, more important to trust the source than pich couple of K's on a multi lakh purchase !!

just bought the epson 8100W for 1.31 lakhs incl VAT and installation and transportation (plus 1 pair of 3D glasses free) so i think 1.23 as the OP suggested is in fact very good. ill post reviews of my 8100 once its hooked up. also bought liberty grandview manual screen 133" @ Rs. 16K (again incl VAt and installation and transport). i think i am overpaying ont he screen but thats OK, more important to trust the source than pich couple of K's on a multi lakh purchase !!

Congrats rishabh on the purchase and also for sharing on the forum. How much did he quote for an extra 3D glasses?

Do post some pic after installation!

Enjoy!:yahoo:

Friends,
I got the 6100 yesterday.
Here are my initial impressions:
1. I got it from B'lore for 98,500. IM me if you want details on the dealer etc. Very satisfied with the buying experience (dealer).
2. The build quality of the projector is excellent. The moment you look at the packing, the actual projector, accessories, you'll be proud of your decision for sure. I must congratulate Epson.
3. There is one 3d glass bundled - i haven't tried it.
4. I have placed it inverted on a high shelf and flipped the image. I'm getting a 94" image from 12 feet distance without engaging the zoom. I am going to try the zoom. The thing is the projected image is a little too high and now i must move the projector down (place it below the shelf somehow). Or probably i need to angle it in such a way that the lens is pointing down and so that i can project where i want. i now realize that lens shift is a big deal. If i had lens shift this problem would go away with the turn of a knob.
5. If budget is not a constraint, pls consider the 8100 just for the lens shift. Trust me, it is worth the money you spend.
6. I have not bought the screen yet, i will buy the biggest size that i can project - with zoom and all. Do you guys have any suggestions about zoom? Will it interfere with image quality or something?
7. I'm now projecting on a dark maroon wall and the image is still good!! Goes to show how capable it is. Waiting to see it in action on a real screen.
8. That's it for now, i'll post more details as i progress further.

Last edited:
6. I have not bought the screen yet, i will buy the biggest size that i can project - with zoom and all. Do you guys have any suggestions about zoom? Will it interfere with image quality or something?

Assuming you are at 12 feet as you mentioned-- You are looking at a screen size between 77 inches to 124 inches for a 16:9 diagonal screen- using the zoom.

The projector is bright enough at 12 feet that any screen size in this range will work--

You other room dimensions may dictate- the size of the screen that you can actually use

Friends,
I got the 6100 yesterday.
Here are my initial impressions:
1. I got it from B'lore for 98,500. IM me if you want details on the dealer etc. Very satisfied with the buying experience (dealer).
2. The build quality of the projector is excellent. The moment you look at the packing, the actual projector, accessories, you'll be proud of your decision for sure. I must congratulate Epson.
3. There is one 3d glass bundled - i haven't tried it.
4. I have placed it inverted on a high shelf and flipped the image. I'm getting a 94" image from 12 feet distance without engaging the zoom. I am going to try the zoom. The thing is the projected image is a little too high and now i must move the projector down (place it below the shelf somehow). Or probably i need to angle it in such a way that the lens is pointing down and so that i can project where i want. i now realize that lens shift is a big deal. If i had lens shift this problem would go away with the turn of a knob.
5. If budget is not a constraint, pls consider the 8100 just for the lens shift. Trust me, it is worth the money you spend.
7. I'm now projecting on a dark maroon wall and the image is still good!! Goes to show how capable it is. Waiting to see it in action on a real screen.
8. That's it for now, i'll post more details as i progress further.

Congrats! :clapping: on your purchase

Enjoy so share your experience during installation for the benfit of others.

Yeah, that's one of the major reasons I went for 8100 instead of 6100. Guess it'd have been fine if I was using the PJ in a dedicated HT room but for a non dedicated room, that huge vertical and horizontal lens shift can come in real handy.

Zooming will rob you of upto 30% brightness if you use max zoom. 50% zoom will only take away 10% brightness though. Try to place the PJ as close to the screen as you can (while making sure you get the intended screen size too). But don't fret much even if you have to use max zoom. 30% sounds like a lot but I didn't find the brightness drop that noticeable when I tried it last week. Unless you have two setups and compare them side by side, you just won't notice.

Even I have plans to buy TW6100/8100 from Delhi during March end because of budget constraints.

What would be the max screen size (16:9) possible from a throw distance of 16.5 ft (from lens to screen) for TW6100? I am looking for 130" size, would the picture still be of great quality even in 3D mode as well? It would be a dedicated room with complete darkness (basement).

No you won't. What are you talking about? This epson has the same lens shift for both moving the image up and down vertically. It won't matter if its turned upside down or not as long as the height of the PJ on the shelf is the same as it'd be with the mount.

Also, this particular PJ certainly wasn't designed to be mounted upside down. From what I've read in avsforums, you'll be dealing with a lot more convergence issues when its flipped.

Like I said, no need to flip it upside down with this PJ. Please look it up.

@Soamz: yeah, just make sure its centred on the back wall horizontally and you'll have no issues even if you place the PJ at over 10 feet high.

@nSinghal; Can you elaborate on what kind of convergence issues we can face if we mount 8100 upside down? I have bought this last month for 1.32 lacs Tax Paid with 1 pair 3D Glasses & planning to mount on Wall soon so I'm just curious if I should go for a Wall mount upside down or just place it on a specially made shelf upside up only?

The Pricing of Epson Home Projectors in India are not transparent, I got quotes in the range of 1.24 to 1.63 lacs for the same product from different dealers in Rajasthan. Placed order for 1.24 lacs with a local dealer but he never delivered at that price so had approached Epson's branch head & got it billed from the distributor for 1.32 lacs which they say is a very special price for this product & they cannot offer this price to anyone else even on my recommendation. But as I can read in this forum, many people have bought it for similar price in other parts of India so I guess it was just another marketing gimmick.

Overall this projector is awsum, exceeded all my expectations. Hooked a Sony BD490 3D Bluray Player with it, 2D/3D IQ is as good as any Multiplex. I have ordered Mediabridge 15M High Speed HDMI Cable from US though Ebay India for 5K. I have not installed screen but painted my wall with Base White Asian Premium Plastic Paint as I want a projection of 12 feet width with 16:9 ratio, so placing a 12' instalock screen is not practical & fixed screens are very expensive.

Now I'm planning to buy TWO more 3D glasses, distributor here is quoting 5K each, shd I go for it with this price?

@nSinghal; Can you elaborate on what kind of convergence issues we can face if we mount 8100 upside down? I have bought this last month for 1.32 lacs Tax Paid with 1 pair 3D Glasses & planning to mount on Wall soon so I'm just curious if I should go for a Wall mount upside down or just place it on a specially made shelf upside up only?

The Pricing of Epson Home Projectors in India are not transparent, I got quotes in the range of 1.24 to 1.63 lacs for the same product from different dealers in Rajasthan. Placed order for 1.24 lacs with a local dealer but he never delivered at that price so had approached Epson's branch head & got it billed from the distributor for 1.32 lacs which they say is a very special price for this product & they cannot offer this price to anyone else even on my recommendation. But as I can read in this forum, many people have bought it for similar price in other parts of India so I guess it was just another marketing gimmick.

Overall this projector is awsum, exceeded all my expectations. Hooked a Sony BD490 3D Bluray Player with it, 2D/3D IQ is as good as any Multiplex. I have ordered Mediabridge 15M High Speed HDMI Cable from US though Ebay India for 5K. I have not installed screen but painted my wall with Base White Asian Premium Plastic Paint as I want a projection of 12 feet width with 16:9 ratio, so placing a 12' instalock screen is not practical & fixed screens are very expensive.

Now I'm planning to buy TWO more 3D glasses, distributor here is quoting 5K each, shd I go for it with this price?

I believe you can just go for wall shelf mount and that's where the lens shift capacity of 8100 comes in handy. That's one of the reasons why even I'm planning to buy 8100.

I have been following the pricing of 8100 from past couple of months and its shocking to get quotes from 1.7 to 1.3 but all quotes from dealers in Bangalore only. I hope I get the deal for 1.25 or something in coming months when I buy it.

For 3d glasses you can buy samsung active shutter 3d glasses for 1. 5 k each it has the same effect and ppl are happy about it. You can buy one and check it out.

Well, the easy solution will be to flip the PJ upside down and see the image for yourself. I found that I had to use re-set the convergence no matter if I flipped the PJ or if it was sitting on a table. But, if you read the avsforums, a lot of people reported that convergence becomes a lot worse when its flipped upside down. In either case, you'll need to set it as most probably you won't be lucky enough to have a perfectly aligned LCD. It'll take about 10 min to fix so not really a deal breaker IMO.

In case you don't know what convergence is, look at the image from less than two feet away. You'll notice that where you should have seen a white pixel, you'll see red blue and green side by side instead. Depending on how bad it is with your particular projector, the difference between all three can be less than 1/4th of a pixel width to upto 1.5 times the pixel width. Anything more and you'll need to get it replaced. Upto that much difference, you can digitally realign the panels(though not perfectly but close enough) so the company won't replace it. Once you've realigned the LCDs (using the projector settings accessible by remote) the picture will appear much sharper than before.

But, that's not why I recommended using a shelf. I had a lot of issues aligning the image with my screen when it was flipped upside down. First it took a hell of a time to make sure the PJ is horizontally and vertically aligned to the screen. Everytime I thought the image was perfect and asked the technican to tighten the screws, it moved again a little bit (due to the screw tightening) and picture went off by a few centimetres. Even when I finally managed to align it perfectly, the moment I touched the zoom or focus on the projector, it moved a few mm again resulting in the image again not filling the screen perfectly. In the end I decided to just deal with a non aligned image as I knew I don't have to use the PJ on the mount for too long (moving to a new home soon). With the same PJ placed on the table, it took me all of 5 minutes to get the perfect image on the screen. That's why I recommended it to be placed on a flat surface instead of hanging down on a mount.

For 3d glasses, the price is the same for epson's official ones even if you get it from US. But like harshi said, samsung glasses work fine too. They cost about 1500 bucks so its worth a try. Get one and see if you find them good enough.

Last edited:
Thanks harshi_n & nSinghal for your valuable inputs, I'l mount it on shelf then.

For 3D Glasses, did anyone test Samsung 3D Glasses on Epson TW8100? If anyone can confirm that it really works like Epson 3D Glasses then it will be a sure shot buy for me.

Also, Samsung has TWO different 3D glasses models i.e. 3050GB & 4100GB, while the main difference between them I suppose is that 3050GB comes with a rechargeable battery while the later has a replaceable battery which last for 150 Hrs. Apart from that, is there any other difference? If not, then which one should I buy? The price difference if just Rs.500 & I'm sure I wont exhaust batteries worth Rs.500 in 5 years even if I buy the 4100GB, what's ur take on this?

The projector is meant to be flipped upside down when mounted high. that's how its designed.

About convergence - Epson has pixel alignment and it works in both tabletop as well ceiling mounted. The problem reported at avs is however about the way alignment works. In tabletop (right side up), there are no issues with pixel adjustment. However, when its flip mounted on ceiling, the alignment works differently. It shows you a rectangular box, and we are to move the lines. But the line moves in opposite corner to where the block is. If the block is on left, and you move lines, the lines will actually move on the right side (mirrored). That's like a bug. But once you figure it out, its easier to work that way.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back