Help need to setup HT - Epson tw 8100

I just got the 8100 delivered today morning.
Dont have the mini theatre room ready yet , so need to test it on bedroom with a white backdrop cloth and putting the projector on the bed.

Okay ?

Dont have the mini theatre room ready yet , so need to test it on bedroom with a white backdrop cloth and putting the projector on the bed.

Okay ?

Not okay.

Projectors are very sensitive. That Epson might feel offended because the room is not ready yet. What if it doesn't like your bedroom? It may take it to heart and will always be sad, resulting in washed out colors and heavy on blues?

Okay ?

Congrats! From which City you bought it & how much did you pay?

Hope you are enjoying your first night with your Epson!! ;)

Bhubaneswar. Price : 1.31 lacs.

And I just tested it on a white screen by keeping the projector on the bed , around 15 feet from the screen wall.

Awesome QUALITY.

12 feet screen it was .

The projector is meant to be flipped upside down when mounted high. that's how its designed.

Even if it has the same lens shift for above and below the Center of the lens?

I got a fairly low end wall mount, so maybe its coz of that, but mine is just not stable enough to keep the projector from tilting/moving a few mm (resulting in the image not fitting the screen perfectly) even if all I did was adjust the zoom and focus ring (which are pretty tight and require some force to move). If I was using a fixed screen with black velvet (or something similar) as the screen border, I probably wouldn't have minded the image spilling a little out of the white screen area. But the black paint simply doesnt work well enough to hide the image if the PJ projects onto it. I found that too much of a distraction personally.

The only down side I can see of placing the PJ on shelf is that you'll need a stool to stand up on whenever you need to fiddle with the PJ physically (zoom, focus, filter cleaning). Other than that, I can't really see any other reason to flip it. Is there any reason you think the PQ will be affected negatively if its placed high up on a shelf instead of flipped on a mount?

Last edited:
Bhubaneswar. Price : 1.31 lacs.

And I just tested it on a white screen by keeping the projector on the bed , around 15 feet from the screen wall.

Awesome QUALITY.

12 feet screen it was .

Finally! Congrats! Btw, What happened to that 1.23L offer??

Not that I mind you paying as much as me (1,30,500). Ever since I saw the 1.23L price mentioned on the forums, I was kind of kicking myself for not negotiating a bit more. Glad to know that its still selling for the same price. Ofcourse, its bound to go down soon enough but itbeingthe same price almost 2 months later is more than good enough for me. :D

Now time to figure out how big a screen you want. :)

Even if it has the same lens shift for above and below the Center of the lens?

I got a fairly low end wall mount, so maybe its coz of that, but mine is just not stable enough to keep the projector from tilting/moving a few mm (resulting in the image not fitting the screen perfectly) even if all I did was adjust the zoom and focus ring (which are pretty tight and require some force to move). If I was using a fixed screen with black velvet (or something similar) as the screen border, I probably wouldn't have minded the image spilling a little out of the white screen area. But the black paint simply doesnt work well enough to hide the image if the PJ projects onto it. I found that too much of a distraction personally.

The only down side I can see of placing the PJ on shelf is that you'll need a stool to stand up on whenever you need to fiddle with the PJ physically (zoom, focus, filter cleaning). Other than that, I can't really see any other reason to flip it. Is there any reason you think the PQ will be affected negatively if its placed high up on a shelf instead of flipped on a mount?

I did not mean to say putting projector top on shelf won;t work. It would certainly work, but as I see it, there are certain shortcomings with it too.
  • Projector movement: If you have decent subs and room is all closed, there is quite a bit of air pressure in the room and it does shake the projector. Over the time, you will lose focus. I need to get up once in a while and adjust focus. Not that picture becomes too much unfocussed, but even a slight defocus is noticeable for me. It just need a little touch to bring it back in focus, but its there. I guess if ts just kept on shelf it could be an issue.
  • As you rightly said, you will need to get up on the stool to access the menu + keys.
  • Lens performance: We all know that lens performance is optimum at mid point. Like Zoom in makes picture brighter but reduces contract, zoom out makes picture dim but improves contrast. Lens midpoint is the place where lens is sharpest and picture is optimum. Same applies for lens shift. Lens shift is meant to adjust the picture little bit. At extremes, no lens puts out best performance.
  • IR: IR is meant to be shooting upwards from projector. When high on shelf, it will be shooting up on ceiling instead of down. This may not matter much, but you can verify with your 3d performance.

You can still get a big shelf and mount the projector inverted to it. You don;t have to keep it on the shelf. Just drill holes in the shelf and mount it. If that's not feasible, then go ahead and put it on shelf. Performance won't be that bad and it will certainly not be noticeable.

My reason for shelf isn't aesthetics but all the points that you mentioned. In my (inexperienced) opinion, the epson is much more suited for shelf placement than flipped. It was much easier to set it up and adjust zoom, focus & lens shift when it was placed on the table than it is on the mount right now which is a nightmare in comparison. Maybe its the mount that I have? Which one are you using? Does it not shift position slightly when you try to adjust zoom/focus? Mine shifts a few mm everytime I touch it and that results in the image shifting a few cms vertically or horizontally (sometimes both) :eek:

As far as lens performance is concerned, wont it be more or less the same in both flipped and normal positions as long as the placement is the same? Instead of using say 20% vertical lens shift upwards, I'd now be using the same 20% lens shift downwards. So what difference it'll make if I place it normally instead of flipped?

Also, as far as IR is concerned, that point is mute as well as the new epson's use bluetooth for 3d glasses.

Not arguing here. Just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by placing the PJ on the shelf instead of getting it mounted in my new room :)

seems the bottom price of Tw8100 from all the info on threads seems to be 1.3 L

need to wait if someone has beat this offer of 1.3L

My reason for shelf isn't aesthetics but all the points that you mentioned. In my (inexperienced) opinion, the epson is much more suited for shelf placement than flipped. It was much easier to set it up and adjust zoom, focus & lens shift when it was placed on the table than it is on the mount right now which is a nightmare in comparison. Maybe its the mount that I have? Which one are you using? Does it not shift position slightly when you try to adjust zoom/focus? Mine shifts a few mm everytime I touch it and that results in the image shifting a few cms vertically or horizontally (sometimes both) :eek:

As far as lens performance is concerned, wont it be more or less the same in both flipped and normal positions as long as the placement is the same? Instead of using say 20% vertical lens shift upwards, I'd now be using the same 20% lens shift downwards. So what difference it'll make if I place it normally instead of flipped?

Also, as far as IR is concerned, that point is mute as well as the new epson's use bluetooth for 3d glasses.

Not arguing here. Just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by placing the PJ on the shelf instead of getting it mounted in my new room :)

You are right about IR. I still confused it with 5010/TW8000 which uses IR.

About the mount, it should not move when you touch it. your mount may not be that sturdy. I use a Monoprice mount and its quite sturdy.

guys - there are several models in the US - 5020UB, 5010UBE etc. Which model is available in India and what prices? What is the availability/ price for wireless HD latest model?

Also - how do you find the black levels of this projector? Can I watch a dark scenes from movies like dark knight in slight ambient light?

I believe you can just go for wall shelf mount and that's where the lens shift capacity of 8100 comes in handy. That's one of the reasons why even I'm planning to buy 8100.

I have been following the pricing of 8100 from past couple of months and its shocking to get quotes from 1.7 to 1.3 but all quotes from dealers in Bangalore only. I hope I get the deal for 1.25 or something in coming months when I buy it.

For 3d glasses you can buy samsung active shutter 3d glasses for 1. 5 k each it has the same effect and ppl are happy about it. You can buy one and check it out.

Thanks harshi_n, bought 4 Pairs of Samsung 3D Glasses 4100GB & they work perfectly fine with Epson TW8100 & costs 1/5th of the price of Epson 3D Glasses.

In delhi, I am getting the 8100 for 1.16L + 12.5% tax. Didn't confirm about the 3D glass, though I think it has one included. I'll confirm it again today. Also remember, this is the price dealer quoted me. Haven't even negotiated yet.

Thanks a lot. Atleast we know that we can have a second price other than 1.25L.

Thanks nsinghal for sharing.

Keep posted about your negotiated price.

So we have moviemaniac(mumbai) and sash & harshi_n(bangalore). Let us keep compiling till Feb and keep checking with other dealers and share in this forum.

Guys there is a good news for all of you!

One of my local Epson store said with tax, he can give it for 1,23,000 rupees.

Again its with tax. And shipping extra, if shipped outside bhubaneswar.

Let me know, if anyone interested and I can ask him for bulk pricing too.

Guys, I am interested in this. If this is still on let me know. Or atleast please share contact of from where to buy in Mumbai.

Also, i read about zooming, what do you call when, for eg in my case, if you want to place it at 14 feet distance and the image is 135, and you want to reduce it to 100 does that rob of brightness or does it increase it. I am assuming that zoom goes both ways.

Friends,
I got the 6100 yesterday.
Here are my initial impressions:
1. I got it from B'lore for 98,500. IM me if you want details on the dealer etc. Very satisfied with the buying experience (dealer).
2. The build quality of the projector is excellent. The moment you look at the packing, the actual projector, accessories, you'll be proud of your decision for sure. I must congratulate Epson.
3. There is one 3d glass bundled - i haven't tried it.
4. I have placed it inverted on a high shelf and flipped the image. I'm getting a 94" image from 12 feet distance without engaging the zoom. I am going to try the zoom. The thing is the projected image is a little too high and now i must move the projector down (place it below the shelf somehow). Or probably i need to angle it in such a way that the lens is pointing down and so that i can project where i want. i now realize that lens shift is a big deal. If i had lens shift this problem would go away with the turn of a knob.
5. If budget is not a constraint, pls consider the 8100 just for the lens shift. Trust me, it is worth the money you spend.
6. I have not bought the screen yet, i will buy the biggest size that i can project - with zoom and all. Do you guys have any suggestions about zoom? Will it interfere with image quality or something?
7. I'm now projecting on a dark maroon wall and the image is still good!! Goes to show how capable it is. Waiting to see it in action on a real screen.
8. That's it for now, i'll post more details as i progress further.

The site says something about horizontal keystone for the 6100 and shows it displaying a picture right at the center from the corner of a room. Whats that feature all about. If it works well, do we really need the 8100 if its lensshifting that is the only differentiation that we are looking at. I mean if the other differentiators are not the ones that are affecting the purchasing decision.

I want to buy the 8100 soon that is within 2 weeks time. What has been the best quote so far? I spoke to one Mr. Ashish today from Varay here in Mumbai and he said Rs 1.30 lacs incl tax
Am visiting his place in the weekend

I want to buy the 8100 soon that is within 2 weeks time. What has been the best quote so far? I spoke to one Mr. Ashish today from Varay here in Mumbai and he said Rs 1.30 lacs incl tax
Am visiting his place in the weekend

So am I in Mumbai. When you visit Varay, tell him you require two sets. I am going to speak to a gent tomorrow. I will tell him the same. Lets buy the best deal.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back