Help need to setup HT - Epson tw 8100

I want to buy the 8100 soon that is within 2 weeks time. What has been the best quote so far? I spoke to one Mr. Ashish today from Varay here in Mumbai and he said Rs 1.30 lacs incl tax
Am visiting his place in the weekend

am from Pune . Check the deal for 3 now !!

Spoke to a couple of more people and Ashish from Varay. The price recd is 88000 + tax on 6100 & 1.3 tax incl on 8100. As per the epson rep the shift lens feature is not of much consequence and even the 6100 has a bit of placement flexibility as well, I am now considering the 6100 seriously as that would save a much valued 35 K which can be put to good use for music system and speakers.

Do you guys feel that there is any significant difference in 6100 and 8100 other than contrast ratio and lens shift. Other projectors from epson have a contrast ratio of even 5000:1 and the 6100 claims its ratio at 40000:1 vs 8100 of 320000:1.

Editing...

On the screen front what is recommended for this setup 4:3 or 16:9?

Spoke to a couple of more people and Ashish from Varay. The price recd is 88000 + tax on 6100 & 1.3 tax incl on 8100. As per the epson rep the shift lens feature is not of much consequence and even the 6100 has a bit of placement flexibility as well, I am now considering the 6100 seriously as that would save a much valued 35 K which can be put to good use for music system and speakers.

Do you guys feel that there is any significant difference in 6100 and 8100 other than contrast ratio and lens shift. Other projectors from epson have a contrast ratio of even 5000:1 and the 6100 claims its ratio at 40000:1 vs 8100 of 320000:1.

Editing...

Great :)
I spoke to Fairdeal today and they gave me a quote of 1.32 but with one pair glass included

I think its a significant contrast ratio change but then again its an individual choice as to how much one prefers :)

Guys there is an exhibition happening in BKC where even the epson projectors are on display. I plan to go there tomorrow to finalise my choice. If possible we can land together to try and negotiate a better deal. Wot say?

Editing...

The diff is image quality is huge between the 8100 & 6100... Consider this... The diff in price between the 8100 & 6100 is about $1100-1200(60-65k) in the US but still ppl recommend buying the 8100 over the 6100 there... Over here the diff is only 30k which makes it a no brainer in my book... 6100 is a good projector & U will be able to enjoy it no doubt but going for the 8100 would give u the image quality & satisfaction that u have bought the best projector in ur budget... BTW the diff is black lvl performance alone make the 8100 a much better choice... For many years now, the black lvl performance of the epson top end series has been unmatched in this range to many years now... Infact to find better black lvls one has to spend 3 times the price of the tw8100...

The diff is image quality is huge between the 8100 & 6100... Consider this... The diff in price between the 8100 & 6100 is about $1100-1200(60-65k) in the US but still ppl recommend buying the 8100 over the 6100 there... Over here the diff is only 30k which makes it a no brainer in my book... 6100 is a good projector & U will be able to enjoy it no doubt but going for the 8100 would give u the image quality & satisfaction that u have bought the best projector in ur budget... BTW the diff is black lvl performance alone make the 8100 a much better choice... For many years now, the black lvl performance of the epson top end series has been unmatched in this range to many years now... Infact to find better black lvls one has to spend 3 times the price of the tw8100...

Thanks Raja for your input. Definitely in two minds. I had initially thought of the 8100 only because of the lens shift, but now that I am placing the projector right in the center, i want to become a little budget conscious.

As per the website:-

The difference is basically between 8100 and 6100 is as follows

- Higher panel size in the 8100 (same tech and make)
- Superior focal length in the 8100
- Better zoom ratio
- Better throw ratio
- Lens shift in the 8100 vs vertical and horizontal keystone correction in 6100
- Superior contrast ratio 320K in 8100 vs 40K in the 6100
- 100 Ansi lumens brighter than the 6100 at 2400
- I/O trigger out in 8100 vs none in 6100
- Frame interpolation (in 2d mode only)

Now the 6100 has the following in addition to 8100
- 2 10W Speakers
- Auto color mode
- 1 RCA Audio input
- 1 USB Memory

Rest all specs are almost similar, or the difference does not seem to be consequential.

I am looking for setting it up in a 12x14 room, where the zoom and the larger panel might not make a difference.

I and Moviemaniac had saw the 8100 in actionwhere we spoke with the Epson sales person yesterday. According to him,
- the contrast ratio however higher it is, is relevant only in a completely dark room. Throw in ambient light, and there is little to say in terms of difference.
- Both the 6100 and the 8100 perform equally well.
- Epson generally extends the warranty on the lamp as well for the complete warranty period

So, the next step is to see the 6100 in action and then take the final call.

Thanks Raja for your input. Definitely in two minds. I had initially thought of the 8100 only because of the lens shift, but now that I am placing the projector right in the center, i want to become a little budget conscious.

As per the website:-

The difference is basically between 8100 and 6100 is as follows

- Higher panel size in the 8100 (same tech and make)
- Superior focal length in the 8100
- Better zoom ratio
- Better throw ratio
- Lens shift in the 8100 vs vertical and horizontal keystone correction in 6100
- Superior contrast ratio 320K in 8100 vs 40K in the 6100
- 100 Ansi lumens brighter than the 6100 at 2400
- I/O trigger out in 8100 vs none in 6100
- Frame interpolation (in 2d mode only)

Now the 6100 has the following in addition to 8100
- 2 10W Speakers
- Auto color mode
- 1 RCA Audio input
- 1 USB Memory

Rest all specs are almost similar, or the difference does not seem to be consequential.

I am looking for setting it up in a 12x14 room, where the zoom and the larger panel might not make a difference.

I and Moviemaniac had saw the 8100 in actionwhere we spoke with the Epson sales person yesterday. According to him,
- the contrast ratio however higher it is, is relevant only in a completely dark room. Throw in ambient light, and there is little to say in terms of difference.
- Both the 6100 and the 8100 perform equally well.
- Epson generally extends the warranty on the lamp as well for the complete warranty period

So, the next step is to see the 6100 in action and then take the final call.

So did you guys bargained on the Group Buying pricing ? Also any ideas on expected launch date of BenQ W1500 in India ? Is it worth to wait ?

According to him,

95% of the time if not 100, you will be seeing the movie in a completely dark room. Ambient lighting if any is something which never reflects on the screen or doesn't distract you while watching the movie. Maybe its my personal opinion.
& I could be wrong here but a higher contrast ratio will in fact help in a slightly lit up room.
Anyways its you're money on the line so do demo & gd luck with ur final choice :)

That's the view of not only the epson guy but also of many on avsforums. Contrast ratio is only valid in a completely dark room. Even a little light contrast ratio goes flying out.

So did you guys bargained on the Group Buying pricing ? Also any ideas on expected launch date of BenQ W1500 in India ? Is it worth to wait ?

Hi MZB yes we tried our bit but will push in more aggressively for a better deal when we are meeting him next in this week :)

Colour me surprised!

I was looking for prices for this in Singapore and while searching I stumbled back to this forum and see that the prices in India are lower than in Singapore!

I am looking to buy this as well, so count me in if there is a group buy (looking to buy immediately :) ). I'm from Bangalore btw.

I'm not really familiar about where to buy this from, can someone who has bought this in bangalore please guide me about it?

Colour me surprised!

I was looking for prices for this in Singapore and while searching I stumbled back to this forum and see that the prices in India are lower than in Singapore!

I am looking to buy this as well, so count me in if there is a group buy (looking to buy immediately :) ). I'm from Bangalore btw.

I'm not really familiar about where to buy this from, can someone who has bought this in bangalore please guide me about it?

Do you need this immediately? The reason for asking this is most of the time we think of buying immeditely and then think of planning the other parts of the HT components after purchasing the PJ.

Someone in this forum informed that the warranty for bulb for EPSON is three months from purchase.

So if in excitement we buy the PJ without the other components we might have the PJ without proper use.

Ofcourse it is a different case if you care not planning a dedicated room for HT or you have an existing setup.

we will PM you the contacts.

Do you need this immediately? The reason for asking this is most of the time we think of buying immeditely and then think of planning the other parts of the HT components after purchasing the PJ.

Someone in this forum informed that the warranty for bulb for EPSON is three months from purchase.

So if in excitement we buy the PJ without the other components we might have the PJ without proper use.

Ofcourse it is a different case if you care not planning a dedicated room for HT or you have an existing setup.

we will PM you the contacts.

I guess I need to provide more info about the reasons behind the statement above:
In terms of setup I do have an old 5.1 setup (which I hardly use) and a stereo setup which I'm running now (Marantz PM-7004 with JBL Studio 580). I'll be sticking to that for the foreseeable future.

In terms of room, its a bit complicated :)
I'm currently living in Singapore but plan to return back to Bangalore next year. The urgency is because I am traveling to Bangalore next week and I was hoping I could carry it back with me. Ofc I could buy it later as well (or even wait for the next model)

Either ways I will wait for inputs from members here on the deal.

I have the 6100 and really i have been trying to find any shades of grey in the blacks but have failed so far. I have watched Skyfall blu-ray, which has great reference dark scenes, numerous times only to try and find if i can spot some weakness in black but nope. I wonder how Bond's suit could have been blacker than what i see with 6100. It is pitch black!!! I'm sure the experts are not lying but really i don't know how i can see blacker blacks than what i'm seeing. Our forum member Harshi_n took a demo of both 8100 and 6100 and couldn't notice any difference either. My point is please demo both before plonking the cash. You might be able to spot the difference or you might not - so why shell out extra.
Lens shift is another story altogether and is a killer feature to have. Lack of lens shift can give you headaches during installation - but once installed i guess you don't really fiddle with it much.
Zoom is more than adequate in 6100 except if you have terrible installation restrictions (ex: for some reason you MUST hang the PJ 6 feet from screen but sit 20 feet away so need a bigger screen).

Friends,
Pls do check out Optoma HD 25 before you make a decision. It has got great reviews and priced reasonably too. The latest issue of AV Max has a review of this one and if i'm not wrong the MRP quoted was 1.1 lakh - you could easily get it for less. I think i even saw an ad on that mag from an Indian dealer - i'll check again and post.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back