help needed setting up new ht

sasank

Hi everyone,

im new to this forum.i wanted to set up a new ht in my house.My journey started couple of weeks back.i initially wanted to buy yamaha yht 2910 which is priced around 40k.i was new to this world.i thought it was a better one.i dont know anything about avrs and speakers.once i auditioned it,i didnt like it.I understood that i need to increase my budget for the better quality im looking for.And the bug bit me hard and deep.i was following and reading different threads in this forum.This provided a lot of information.thanks to everyone.Now i request you all in helping me to buy a good ht.Let me give you few details.

1)room size:- 20ft(length)x12ft(width)
2)sitting position:-17 to 18 ft
3)using samsung 43" tv
4)it is not a dedicated room.i want to set up in the living room.
5)Looking to setup 5.1.2 atmos system.
6)budget:-around 1.5lakh for total setup including avr
7)im looking for floor standing speakers in the fronts.
8)im looking for good crystal and detailed sound rather than loudness.
9)my requirement is for movie experience (movies 75% and music 25%)

thanks everyone in advance.

.I understood that i need to increase my budget for the better quality im looking for.And the bug bit me hard and deep.i was following and reading different threads in this forum.

Unfortunately yes..It so happens sometimes, you will need to shell more than your budget..

6)budget:-around 1.5lakh for total setup including avr

But, i see 1.5 Lacs is a very good budget to complete 5.1.2 system (AVR + speakers)..

Since you anyways will have a subwoofer, overlook Floorstanders.. A subwoofer is much efficient then a floorstander in reproducing lowest bass..

4)it is not a dedicated room.i want to set up in the living room.

Not necessarily have to be dedicated room, living room is equally good enough..

5)Looking to setup 5.1.2 atmos system

Consider, speakers that have wall mount capability.. It saves lot of spaces & negates the money for dedicated speaker stands that you will need to spend otherwise..

A 5.1.2 capable AVR ranges between 50K - 100K, depending on features.. Some have dual HDMI outputs.. If you don't need one, you can always settle for an AVR that has single HDMI output.. Also take in to account the number of devices that you will connect to it..

What is your source for movies? Is it BR Discs (or) BR Rips ?.. If BR Rips how would you play them ?..

Also an in-ceiling speakers is preferred to enjoy Atmos / Dts X.. If you don't have false ceiling, you may have to consider getting a bookshelf & mounting on ceiling with brackets..

Unfortunately yes..It so happens sometimes, you will need to shell more than your budget..

But, i see 1.5 Lacs is a very good budget to complete 5.1.2 system (AVR + speakers)..

Since you anyways will have a subwoofer, overlook Floorstanders.. A subwoofer is much efficient then a floorstander in reproducing lowest bass..

Not necessarily have to be dedicated room, living room is equally good enough..

Consider, speakers that have wall mount capability.. It saves lot of spaces & negates the money for dedicated speaker stands that you will need to spend otherwise..

A 5.1.2 capable AVR ranges between 50K - 100K, depending on features.. Some have dual HDMI outputs.. If you don't need one, you can always settle for an AVR that has single HDMI output.. Also take in to account the number of devices that you will connect to it..

What is your source for movies? Is it BR Discs (or) BR Rips ?.. If BR Rips how would you play them ?..

Also an in-ceiling speakers is preferred to enjoy Atmos / Dts X.. If you don't have false ceiling, you may have to consider getting a bookshelf & mounting on ceiling with brackets..
hey,@elangoas .thanks and i appreciate your patience for writing this elongated answer.i have read your suggestions in many different threads.and i also liked your diy ceiling atmos speakers setup(with box set up).now coming to the above discussion,let me be clear about the following so that you can help me with your valuable advice.

1)im looking for speakers for long time use.i cant change it atleast for 5 years..because my initial budget was only 40k.im trying to stretch it to my max limit.
2)in this case i want to go with good floor standing speakers and after listening to them in my living room,then only will look to invest on sub woofer basing upon my actual requirement.
3)i think i need only one output hdmi.i request you to suggest me avrs suitable to my budget.
4)as of now my source of bluray are br rips only as i cannot invest in blueray player and discs.i want to connect them with my laptop.
5) i request you to suggest me good avr and speaker set up.i will mention you about the auditions which i took.

thanks in advance.

and i also liked your diy ceiling atmos speakers setup(with box set up).

There are bit of hassles in doing the enclosure box & mounting them on ceiling in your living room.. If you prefer to do this route, you can do it..

However for simplicity & ease of use, i would suggest you to consider a satellite speaker mounted to ceiling with brackets..

1)im looking for speakers for long time use.i cant change it atleast for 5 years..because my initial budget was only 40k.im trying to stretch it to my max limit.

perfect... Can understand that..

2)in this case i want to go with good floor standing speakers and after listening to them in my living room,then only will look to invest on sub woofer basing upon my actual requirement.

Movies have dedicated LFE channel (x.1) which are handled by subwoofer.. So you will need a subwoofer for it.. A FS will eat away 35% (50K) of your budget or more.. Sure a FS also can reproduce bass, but not as good as subwoofer for movies..

Are you trying to skip subwoofer & live with 5.0.2 set-up because of budget?..

3)i think i need only one output hdmi.i request you to suggest me avrs suitable to my budget.

The least expensive 5.1.2 AVR would be Pioneer VSX 932 (47K)..There is Yamaha RXV 583, Onkyo 676 for more price..However suggest you to consider Denon x 1300 / x 1400 may be for slightly more.. Marantz SR 5012 also, which is always expensive..

4)as of now my source of bluray are br rips only as i cannot invest in blueray player and discs.i want to connect them with my laptop.

You can skip the investment on Blu Ray player when you have no discs (or) when you will not buy them in future.. Hope your laptop has HDMI output.. If not you can add an Android TV box for <= 5K, which support playback for almost every media file..

5) i request you to suggest me good avr and speaker set up.i will mention you about the auditions which i took.

I would suggest Taga Harmony Platinum series for speaker & subwoofer for they are excellently priced.. (or) a brand of your liking..

Last edited:
Are you trying to skip subwoofer & live with 5.0.2 set-up because of budget?..
No.im not going to skip subwoofer or run a set up like 5.0.2.why i said that was in case if at all my budget is not sufficient to my liking then i want to invest in good floor standing speakers. then i will slowly build the system.i will add the sub woofer later basing upon my requirement and budget.

let me give you the details of auditions i have taken..

1)yamaha yht 2910- completely ruled out

2)polk audio tl1600 5.1 with yamaha htr 3067

3)yamaha ns-f71 floor standing speakers
yamaha ns-p350 center & surround speakers
yamaha sw-100 powered subwoofer

4)yamaha ns-8390 floor standing speakers
yamaha ns-p51 center & surround speakers
yamaha sw-100 powered subwoofer

5)earthquake f-12 sub woofer

6)accusound

7)jamo s 807,s 83,s 803,s 810,6.5 cst

8)jamo s626 5.1 system with sub 210,6.5 cst
and the finally came to taga
9)in taga-listened to 606 se,616 floor standing speakers and the finally azure f-100
with platinum series with platinum series c-100 as center and platinum series s-100 as surround.

please give me your opinon on the above list or if at all i need to consider any other brands.
thank you.

It's better initially go for bookshelf sub 5.1 combo and later on add good floor standing speakers as budget permit and use existing bookshelf as surround back speakers. Like Polk RTiA3/1/CSiA4/DSW550i or Wharfdale Diamond 225/220/220c with receiver from gray market to save few thousand rupees

hey,thanks for your suggestion @rpmahale .

do you really think 1.5 lakh budget is not sufficient for my set-up? as i said earlier i cant change speakers in the next 5 years.so i dont want to take bookshelves and later on upgrade to floor standing speakers.so i prefer only floor standing speakers.please suggest me anything in floor standing speakers only.please give me your opinion on the above mentioned speakers.i dont know about wharfdale much.but i think they are expensive for my budget.and i dont know what is meant by grey market.can you please share light on that?i mean pros and cons.thanks dear.

Once you enter into this world you will never stop buying new components. This is an endless upgradation, it is better to purchase components wisely from beginning so that upgradation will not take place soon and you will be happy with your system for longer time..
With your budget of 150k, you can buy better quality Floor standing speakers and AV receiver else better quality satalite subwoofer system and AV receiver.. else better quality four bookshelf and center speakers with av receiver... It's up to you which route you prefer... Later on you can add better quality remaining components to complete your home theater and can avoid upgradation...
For AV Receiver and speakers it depends on you which brand you like..If I am at you place than
For Option 1
Denon AVR 3400 or Marantz SR5012 or Pioneer SC LX 502 ( 70-80k)
Speakers
KEF Q700, Elac F5, MA Bronze 6, Paradigm Monitor 9, Polk RTiA7
Later add surround, Center and Sub
For Option 2
Def Tech ProCinema 1000/ M&K
Later add Front tower speakers
For Option 3
KEF Q300/Q100/Q center
Elac B6/B5/B center
MA Bronze 2/1/center
Polk RTia3/1/CSiA4
Later add Front tower speaker and subwoofer.
You can expect 15 to 18 ℅ discount on MRP if purchase all from one dealer ...
Most of the buyers make same mistake of purchasing all in initial budget and purchase average sound quality products and later keep on upgrading....... Avoid.
Hope this may help you

Gray means without bill and warranty. Some dealers have that option, you can ask if possible. In this way you can save 15-20k on your receiver. Mostly speakers are not available without b&w... Before making deal make sure you are very well aware of it.. else you may end up in regrets

Check Klipsch horn speakers if you want theatre sound.. Great Dynamics..
Subwoofers are must for movies unless one is buying some very expensive speakers which can go below 30hz and these speakers need clean power at 4 ohms .. which an avr will struggle.

as i said earlier i cant change speakers in the next 5 years.so i dont want to take bookshelves and later on upgrade to floor standing speakers.so i prefer only floor standing speakers.please suggest me anything in floor standing speakers only.

Am not dissuading you from buying floorstanders, but suggesting on how it would be used..

Assuming you would get a floorstander & subwoofer, it is a general setting in the AVR (bass management) to label/set ALL the speakers as "Small".. Effectively diverting the bass <= 80Hz from all speakers to subwoofer, which they are more capable reproducing.. So in that case, you are effectively using the floorstander as a satellite speaker.. Defeating the purpose of floorstander..

But, if you are considering the FS for aesthetic appeal, vow factor, you should buy them.. It is more visually satisfying, fashion over function..

I understand you have increased your budget from 40K to 150K INR.. So choose wisely & not litter them chasing brands assuming they would be better than affordable priced ones..

You may also consider adding/accomodating a 2nd subwoofer if you would like to adjust (increase/decrease) bass to your taste..

Last edited:
Assuming you would get a floorstander & subwoofer, it is a general setting in the AVR (bass management) to label/set ALL the speakers as "Small".. Effectively diverting the bass <= 80Hz from all speakers to subwoofer, which they are more capable reproducing.. So in that case, you are effectively using the floorstander as a satellite speaker.. Defeating the purpose of floorstander..
hey,im very much confused.what is the purpose of inventing or people buying floorstanding speakers with such huge costs when they act as mere satellite speaker?

hey,im very much confused.what is the purpose of inventing or people buying floorstanding speakers with such huge costs when they act as mere satellite speaker?
It is for people who plan to use them without subwoofers.. With a good amp.. etc

finally im deciding to go with taga harmony...
azure f-100 floor standing speakers(44k),
platinum series c-100 v2 as center(15k) and platinum series s-100 v2 as surround(20k).about subwoofer not yet decided.

can anyone please tell me how good these speakers are and is it a good option?

finally im deciding to go with taga harmony...
azure f-100 floor standing speakers(44k),
platinum series c-100 v2 as center(15k) and platinum series s-100 v2 as surround(20k).about subwoofer not yet decided.

can anyone please tell me how good these speakers are and is it a good option?
Go with Klipsch for movies.. take my word.. they are fantastic for movies..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back