Help needed to choose between Panasonic TH-P50S60D and Samsung 51f5500!

djaytg

I am planning to buy a Plasma tv in the coming days. I have narrowed down into two choices : Plasma TV VIERA TH-P50S60D and Samsung 51f5500. Panasonic P50S60D doesn't contain 3D and costs around Rs 79,000 whereas the Samsung 51f5500 with 3D (blu ray player free)costs around Rs 75,000. Can you tell which one to choose and why not to choose the other one? I saw a thread named "Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in", Can anyone tell me should i be worried about his and if yes, why should i be worried about this?

Last edited:
I am planning to buy a Plasma tv in the coming days. I have narrowed down into two choices : Plasma TV VIERA TH-P50S60D and Samsung 51f5500. Panasonic P50S60D doesn't contain 3D and costs around Rs 79,000 whereas the Samsung 51f5500 with 3D (blu ray player free)costs around Rs 75,000. Can you tell which one to choose and why not to choose the other one? I saw a thread named "Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in", Can anyone tell me should i be worried about his and if yes, why should i be worried about this?

go for the panasonic s60....deeper blacks and well saturated colours than the samsung...even sd is better on the s60 than the samsung....s60 is even brighter than the samsung in their accurate picture viewing modes....in short s60 has better picture quality than the samsung....

go for the panasonic s60....deeper blacks and well saturated colours than the samsung...even sd is better on the s60 than the samsung....s60 is even brighter than the samsung in their accurate picture viewing modes....in short s60 has better picture quality than the samsung....

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much would you rate the two plasmas perform on SD?

panasonic anyday in plasmas. Whatever be the rating, did you demo them? Do it so, you will find the difference!

Got a 50s60. Been enjoying it for past 2 months. Its a nice TV. But I feel f5500 has the vfm edge right now. Demo with known material and decide.

51F5500 can be bought below 70K now in bangalore.
It is a feature rich PDP with Smart and 3D.
Please also look at 51F5500 Owners thread.

51F5500 : WhatHifi Awarded best budget television in the 47inch-57Inch category.
What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Awards 2013: Best Televisions | whathifi.com
5 Star review by Whathifi:
Samsung PS51F5500 review from the experts at whathifi.com

50S60 is a also good TV. But it is non 3D non smart. It may be lower on features at 79K.

You can demo both and take a decision

Lets see what cnet has to say about an important aspect of plasma tv. The bright room performance.

"Where the Samsung F5500 disappoints is in bright room playback. I don't know of anyone who dutifully turns off all the lights and closes the curtains every time they watch TV, and the Samsung is worse than any TV we've recently tested with the lights on -- and that includes the also-heliophobic S60."

Went for a few shops today. Most of them didn't have a demo piece. The lowest offer i got on Panasonic TH-P50S60D is Rs. 74,000(croma said Rs. 86,000:rolleyes:) and on Samsung 51f5500 is Rs. 70,000(inclusive of Bluray player). So, i was not able to find a shop with both models for comparision!

go for the panasonic s60....it edges the samsung in many ways like better black levels....better colour saturation....better brightness....better SD performance...
overall the image looks very rich on the panasonic than the samsung....trust me i have done a detailed demo of both these tvs....

Both S60 and F5500 performed good for SD.
As per my demo of S60 and F5500 the colour rendition of F5500 was much better than S60. Especially indian channel programs with lot of colours looked better in F5500. Reflection issues are equal in both TVs as there is no AR coating.

This is what CNET review on color accuracy ( comparing F5500 to S60 )

"Color accuracy: Color performance of the F5500 was mixed, but generally it rated well and especially in comparison to the Panasonic S60. Where the Samsung had the S60 licked here is that low level colors were "truer" as the S60 had a tendency to make shadows green. I believe I personally would trade the slightly worse black levels and shadow detail of the Samsung in this case for better color overall"

"It's been neck and neck between Panasonic and Samsung for several years when it comes to the picture quality of the company's respective plasmas, and in the F5500 this trend is set to continue. While it's better than the Panasonic S60 in some ways -- color especially"

The black level may be better in S60 as panasonic plasma have that edge.
But the measured black levels reported in CNET for both 5500 and S60 is 0.004.

Better you check both TVs and buy which you like.
F5500 surely wins on VFM and features. S60 has 3 yrs warranty a big plus and less features.

A difficult task now for choosing between the two as both are good sets.
Now if somebody wants a bigger size, slightly better bright room performance and don't care about 3d can go with panny.
Slightly better colours in a dark room and a little more detail in dark scenes can go with sammy.
Sammy and panny have totally different picture processing. They both are plasmas does not meen they both have identical picture.
Personally I always felt that sammy pictures have more soap opera effect than a panny. Again, people may like this.

Panny processing gives me a cinematic experience. Added to that a darker image of panny (with details preserved) masks any halos and decompression artifacts of low resolution videos.

Personally I feel that sammy picture processing engine, over zeolously redraws every edge of the picture to give that oversharpened look and brings out too many details in the dark, all with same intensity. Less intelligent gradations.

What about "Image Retention and Burn-in" issues in both? Do i have to worry about this?

not with the panny....keep the pixel orbitor ON always...
cnet reviews
s60-excellent(4 stars)
samsung 5500-very good(3.5 stars)
now you know which tv to go for...

A difficult task now for choosing between the two as both are good sets.
Now if somebody wants a bigger size, slightly better bright room performance and don't care about 3d can go with panny.
Slightly better colours in a dark room and a little more detail in dark scenes can go with sammy.
Sammy and panny have totally different picture processing. They both are plasmas does not meen they both have identical picture.
Personally I always felt that sammy pictures have more soap opera effect than a panny. Again, people may like this.

Panny processing gives me a cinematic experience. Added to that a darker image of panny (with details preserved) masks any halos and decompression artifacts of low resolution videos.

Personally I feel that sammy picture processing engine, over zeolously redraws every edge of the picture to give that oversharpened look and brings out too many details in the dark, all with same intensity. Less intelligent gradations.

s60 has much better shadow detail than the sammy...colours are not well saturated on the sammy....colours appaear too mild on the sammy even on hd.....panny s60 colours look very rich,vibrant and punchy....

Which is more suitable for day light viewing or with lights on? Panasonic s60 or samsung 5500? Which one has high reflection?

I don't need 3d so which Tv has better Pq?

Do panasonic give 3 yr warranty for plasmas?

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back