help plzz ... need to buy a music system but having a tight budget.

asim86

hii, everyone i am new to this forum and anovice wrt music system architecture.But i have been reading the discussion on this forum for quite a sometime now and gained a little knowledge.I am interesred to buy a music system having a budget of Rs. 30,000.Here are my status:

I have an old sony micro system.I am planning to buy an amplifier and connect the speakers of the sony with it and also buy a woofer to connect with it.tthe speakers each have 50watts rms and in fine conditions and wooden made.
I will use the system only and only for music(especially insrumentals,trance...).
Plz suggest me .I am not in the mood to buy a ht now,i am interested in bookshelf speakers and amplifiers that support 5.1
I am also open my option for onkyo microsystem package...are the worth buying for...
thnx

hii, everyone i am new to this forum and anovice wrt music system architecture.But i have been reading the discussion on this forum for quite a sometime now and gained a little knowledge.I am interesred to buy a music system having a budget of Rs. 30,000.Here are my status:

I have an old sony micro system.I am planning to buy an amplifier and connect the speakers of the sony with it and also buy a woofer to connect with it.tthe speakers each have 50watts rms and in fine conditions and wooden made.
I will use the system only and only for music(especially insrumentals,trance...).
Plz suggest me .I am not in the mood to buy a ht now,i am interested in bookshelf speakers and amplifiers that support 5.1
I am also open my option for onkyo microsystem package...are the worth buying for...
thnx

asim, Now you have got me all confused. You say you want only music and dont want to be bothered with a home theatre and then you say you want a 5.1 amp!
Or is it that you want to buy an AVR with 2 speakers for music now, and later expand it to 5.1 speakers and watch movies?:)
I think you had posted your requirement on another thread and I had replied.
You could try the marantz nr1501( i have heard it, its good for music and decent for movies too, can decode hd audio too!) for 25-30k and pioneer vsx519(i havent heard it but our forum members report it to be good). Add to it a pair of CA s30 speakers and you are good to go. You can add the rest of the speakers including sub later.
A decent sub will set you back by around 20k.

For ONLY music,

Norge 2060: 8 K
Wharfedale 9.1 / 9.2 BS : within 15 K

23 K would provide you with everything on 2 channel/stereo ... just more than sufficient ......... if room is moderately sized ... say, within 150 sq.ft.

yeah later on i would like to upgrade....but for stsrt i would go with bookshelf speakers....
could u give me a estimate of the speaker u mentioned .

If upgrade is on your mind, then,

Pioneer VSX 519K (AVR): 20 K approx.
Wharfedale 9.1 or 9.2: 12 - 15 K approx.

You can add a centre, rear surrounds (pair) and sub as and when the pockets permit, in a phased manner.

Like Marantz, the Pioneer is wowwww .. for music and pretty good for movies too. Have'nt yet sat for a full movie since January, when the Pioneer came in. Just into the stereo mode of the Pioneer AVR and sub for music most of the time.

+1 to that.
Adividyarthy, I was referring to you in my earlier post in this thread. Good you responded here.
Asim, have an audition of both these AVRs and see what you like. As for speakers,
CA s30 -8k
Wharfedale 9.1-13k

yeah later on i would like to upgrade....but for stsrt i would go with bookshelf speakers....
could u give me a estimate of the speaker u mentioned .

Hi Asim,
Based on comments on this forum (not my personal experience) I suggest you go for marantz nr1501 presently. Add your Sony speakers to it and you've got a two channel system.

As and when you have more budget ...
1. Exchange Sony speakers with Wharfedale 9.2. (@ 15k approx)
2. Add Wharfedale SW 150 subwoofer (@ 20k approx)
3. Add Wharfedale surround and center speakers (@ ?? chk with other members here)

and when you have still more budget... get ready to invest in decent two-channel setup starting with a good stereo amp. So now you have so much to look forward to in future!

Regds,

thanks ....but since i am new to this music concept so my querry is that will the amplifier of marantz give a decent surround sound with my sony speakers which have 50w rms each...since my budget is low so buing a marantz avr would cover my entire budget for now.....again wht about the after sales services here or any where in india ...i live in kolkata....

Last edited:
Instead of getting constrained with your budget, think of what you need for your music setup in a long medium term. Biggest component that would make a difference is speaker. So spend entire current budget on 2 decent bookshelfs and buy amp layter in next 6 months. I would suggest you to audition some speakers with decent amp and then also with your amp which I hope you should be able to carry around with you for auditions. You can try quads as well.

Last edited:
Ashim ,

I think you should visit these particular shops at Calcutta, take an audition of some combinations and buy what you like. I guess that would be better rather than sticking to this forum too much. You should find something suitable in 30k ( 10% tolerance ) .

1. SKS Traders
52A, Sarat Bose Road, ( Opposite Padmapukur, Calcutta Motor Vehicles)
Kolkata, India - 700025
Telephone: +919831163529

Please try a combinations of Amplifier (Cambridge Audio, Nad, Marantz), CD Player ( Marantz, CA ) and speakers (Wharfedale).

2. Promise Instruments
45, Shakespeare Sarani ( Opposite Kalamandir )

Try all sorts of Onkyo stuffs with a combination of Jamo speaker .

3. If you want Denon ( 30k would be a less budget for a Denon Combo )

Profx
16/2 Hindustan Road , Gariahat
Kolkata - 700029

4. Can also have a visit to Sonodyne showroom at South City Mall , 4th floor.

So go to these places, have an audition and I am sure you will have your system ready within that budget.

wht about Onkyo TX SR_506 ?wht its price??or onkyo tx sr575?and marantz have any service centres here?

Hi asim,

Onkyo AVR's are good only for movies and certainly not for music.As suggested by friends here, go with either a Marantz or a Pio AVR.

cheers,
sri

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back