Help protect my hi-fi

hauntedhunter

Hi All,

Recently there have some issues in my apartment and there is lot of voltage fluctuations and more than that lots of spikes & sparking sound coming from the plugs ( my digital led clock keeps blinking along with the sparking sound) :sad:

Please suggest me what I should do to protect my system.

(Sadly in my room I have only one plug point and TV,DVD,amp,Laptop,Worldspace..all hooked up to that single point)

Please suggest a cheap but effective solution :)

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

Recently there have some issues in my apartment and there is lot of voltage fluctuations and more than that lots of spikes & sparking sound coming from the plugs ( my digital led clock keeps blinking along with the sparking sound) :sad:

Please suggest me what I should do to protect my system.

(Sadly in my room I have only one plug point and TV,DVD,amp,Laptop,Worldspace..all hooked up to that single point)

Please suggest a cheap but effective solution :)

Thanks in advance
Hauntedhunter,
I am also facing pretty much the same issues. So waiting to get pointers from the gurus on how to protect my avr, tv, laptop etc

You seem to be affected by three problems. So let us attack them one by one.

1. Sparks. This is usually the effect of loose contacts inside the sockets, and the plug not fitting inside the socket well. You have to open the box with the switches and sockets, check which connections are loose and tighten them. If the sockets are very old, I would replace them immediately. If you see any burnt or blackened wire, I would snip them off, and attach good quality new electrical wires.

Also see if you can buy a new socket and a matching plug that fit each other well. For example, MK makes a three pin plug that has a slightly larger brass tube at the tip that fits smugly into the MK socket.

If you are using two pin plug in a three pin socket, use a adaptor. I have found MX 864 (MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac) to be one of the best. I have seen some people use a pen to open the plug and insert the two pin plug inside. Usually if you touch the plug, it will shake a bit. The plug should always fit tight.

Another way to solve this issue is to get a good quality distribution or extension board that accepts both two and three pin plugs. But again, to ensure the plug of the board fits well in the socket, you may need to replace the plug.

2. Voltage Fluctuation This can only be corrected by a stabiliser. Calculate your total consumption, and get a suitable stabiliser.

3. Spikes When you get a stabiliser, some of them have spike protection built in. Similarly some distributions boards have spike protection built in.

Cheers

You seem to be affected by three problems. So let us attack them one by one.

1. Sparks. This is usually the effect of loose contacts inside the sockets, and the plug not fitting inside the socket well.

I got this extension custom made using good quality switches and a good fuse and all and have been using this same board for more than a year now,but seeing these issues for last couple of weeks only.The plugs are a little loose though and yes it is true that I'm hooking two-pin plug into three pin socket's( the one with five holes with a 1-2-2 arrangement ).Could this be the issue?
( Checked the plug and wires,nothing seem to be damaged :sad: )

The plugs are a little loose though and yes it is true that I'm hooking two-pin plug into three pin socket's( the one with five holes with a 1-2-2 arrangement ).Could this be the issue?

If you are getting sparks there is loose contact somewhere. You see electricity will pass easily through a contact if it is well made. Otherwise it will jump from a live wire. Also please check that your earthing is correct and properly connected.

You should get a good electrician to look at the issues.

Cheers

3. Spikes When you get a stabiliser, some of them have spike protection built in. Similarly some distributions boards have spike protection built in.

Cheers

Venkatji

Correct me if I'm wrong but stabilizer will only protect against surges. For real spike protection one needs an isolation transformer. At least that was what I was led to believe earlier.

Regards

Venkat Sir,

Instead of using MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac for each of the component,
can I use something like this MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac ?
Will the general two-pin plugs ( I have a DVD player , Worldspace Radio , Tata Sky , CRT TV etc. ) fit properly in these ? Because many times I have faced this problem of buying a socket and then seeing that the plug fits a little loose in the socket.

(Have one more question : Can I feed one such power strip through another one of the same kind ? )

Please help.

Instead of using ...... for each of the component, can I use something like this ...... ?
Will the general two-pin plugs ( I have a DVD player , Worldspace Radio , Tata Sky , CRT TV etc. ) fit properly in these ? Because many times I have faced this problem of buying a socket and then seeing that the plug fits a little loose in the socket.

It certainly can, though I would advise you to test it with a few two pin plugs before you buy it. I have been using a strip from a company called Oxygen, and it has special sockets for two pin plugs. In addition, the three pin sockets are made to take Indian, US, British, and two pin plugs. But even then I see two problems. One; if the US plug has one side larger for polarity, it will not fit into the socket. Second: some of the Japanese two pins plugs are loose even in these strips. That is why I use the MX 874 on the strips also.

oxygenpowerstripaz2.th.jpg

(Have one more question : Can I feed one such power strip through another one of the same kind ? )

You can, but be careful of how much load you put on the strip. Otherwise, they will also blow. Stick to the specifications provided in terms of the load you can put on the strip.

Cheers

Correct me if I'm wrong but stabilizer will only protect against surges. For real spike protection one needs an isolation transformer. At least that was what I was led to believe earlier.

What you are saying is correct. An isolation transformer can protect up to 50 or 60 thousand joules. This is needed in areas which are prone to thunder and lighting. Generally, in times when there is constant thunder in the rainy season, I disconnect all non essential electrical apparatus including audio and video systems.

On the other had, for everyday use, power strips are available that use diodes and capacitors that can provide up to some 6 or 7 thousand joules. These are caused by transients in the power supply, as well as other apparatus such as A/c, Washing Machine etc.

In addition certain stabilisers such as the Krykard servo stabiliser have Built-in Spike & Surge suppressor, and RFI Filter as an option.

Cheers

Venkat is right. For normal protection, any good quality spike protector should do.

I have all my gear connected to a APC UPS through a spike buster. Ok , I hear people saying 'reduced dynamic range', 'noisefloor', etc but its better than leaving my precious gear unprotected

Incidentally, with no CD playing but CD player switched on, amp switched on and turned all the way to full volume I dont hear any noise from the speakers. So what's the unheard noise thats heard when people say you will hear noise when hi-fi is connected to an UPS!

I got this extension custom made using good quality switches and a good fuse and all and have been using this same board for more than a year now,but seeing these issues for last couple of weeks only.The plugs are a little loose though and yes it is true that I'm hooking two-pin plug into three pin socket's( the one with five holes with a 1-2-2 arrangement ).Could this be the issue?
( Checked the plug and wires,nothing seem to be damaged :sad: )

A lot of int'l products 2 pin plugs are loose.The pins are thinner

Now you can get a MX plug where Male is size of 2 pin Plug and female is socket where these Loose Plugs fit.
Unfortunatly I do not have MX part No.

Best thing is this MX plug fits in bottom 2 Pin Plug of 3 pin plug!!! As you can observe acyually 2 Pin Plug and bottom 2 pins of 3 pin plug are slightly different ( The distance is different.

The price of these "tightning" plugs are Rs 18 Each at Champion Rubber -@ Lamington Road - these are good for Imported adapters too - I must have bought lease a dozen

Also MX has one premium power strip @ Rs 550 .It has EMF /RFI/Noice filter protection ( I dunno what it is but It look very Good):eek:hyeah:Seems important for Me though....I hope it offer better protection

Last edited:
Images of said plugs - I included US 110 V to Indian converter too...

Last edited:
Hemanth, though the two pin adaptors do the job, I have, after a lot of experience, found that the three pin adaptor I mentioned provides better stability. The price difference is hardly 18 or 20 Rupees.

The issue with the two pin adaptor is that in a three pin socket, they themselves become loose at times. In addition, in modern sockets where the earth has to be plugged to open the socket, it becomes an issue to use these adaptors.

@HauntedHunter, I am afraid Oxygen do not have a website. If you are very keen, I can see if I could courier a few pieces from here. Last time I checked they were about 300 Rupees each.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back