help req for good Stabilizer for my onkyo ht 3300 system

Hi,

you can go for vguard digi 100 which is 3 amps capacity (max 690 watts) and priced at about rs. 3000/-.

This stab can only be used for the receiver as the receiver consumes about 500 watts, if you want to use even for a lcd & dth & dvd/blu ray player then a 6 amps (1380 watts) is recommended, priced rs. 5500/- known as digi 200.

i suggest you buy the digi 200 as in the future if you would buy additional gadgets you can connect to it.

Appu,

+1 to saketb's suggestion . Go for digi 200 and you are set for more devices too..

But buy it with bill and warranty.. I'd also recomend using an MX / Belkin surge protector along with the stab...

MX surge 6 port with filters will be 650/-

Kittu

Appu,

+1 to saketb's suggestion . Go for digi 200 and you are set for more devices too..

But buy it with bill and warranty.. I'd also recomend using an MX / Belkin surge protector along with the stab...

MX surge 6 port with filters will be 650/-

Kittu

kittu,
surge protector should be connected before the stabilizer or after it?

Last edited:
Stabilizer -> Surge - > HT components.

Hi, please shed some light on this. I am currently using an 8 socket gold series belkin surge protector to connect all my equipments - avr, crt tv, dvdp, tata sly +. I am not using a stabilizer, however my pc is connected to an apc 650 w apc (just informing). My society offers power backup from their big size generator. Backup switches within a few seconds of power cut. I have no idea on regular voltage, fluctuations, generator voltage etc. Can you please explain if and why I need a stabilizer in my scenario and despite a surge protector? Expecting a detailed explanation, please.
(sent from mobile device)

@Kittu, others - Please advise me on the above post. Counting on you heavily, do not want my setup to suffer due to any negligence but at the same time do not want to spend on something that might be mostly redundant. So need your technical explanation and advice please.

I have 2KVA Servo Stabilizer whose o/p is given to all sockets except High Power ones (AC / Fridge) . Do I need to buy separate stabilizer for my LCD+HT+Digicomp ?
Also when light goes off and Inverter kicks in , LCD restarts and we watch it for an hour or so on Inverter power. Inverter is not sine wave , am I killing my LCD ? What you guys suggest ? Should I get UPS instead for LCD and its components ?

I have 2KVA Servo Stabilizer whose o/p is given to all sockets except High Power ones (AC / Fridge) . Do I need to buy separate stabilizer for my LCD+HT+Digicomp ?
Also when light goes off and Inverter kicks in , LCD restarts and we watch it for an hour or so on Inverter power. Inverter is not sine wave , am I killing my LCD ? What you guys suggest ? Should I get UPS instead for LCD and its components ?

Abhi,

Caliculate the power consumption of all your items and if they are below 2kva you should be fine. And is your inverter good enough to supply power to all these items .... ? The better recomendation is to use the pure signwave inverter or ups for AV equipments.

HTH
Kittu

Inverter battery does not hv anything written on it but its huge , and inverter is savision make... Which ups do u suggest for AV components ?

~Spica Tapatalk~

I Think you should go for APC UPS for all your AV components....All branded UPS have internal MOV bank (Metal Oxide Varistors) which protect the equipment from surge & spike.....Moreover, APC line interactive UPS have AVR inside (Automatic Voltage Regulator) which takes care of power fluctuations also..

I dont understand why are we after UPS? Is it for backup or protection from fluctuations?

If it is for backup, go for good online ups which is a very costly affair. Else go for a good stabilizer something like servo or equivalent with atleast 40-50% extra as reserve (at full load).

Note: You should never use any line interactive UPS for your AV power protection, its better connect directly to the power line

Last edited:
I Think you should go for APC UPS for all your AV components....All branded UPS have internal MOV bank (Metal Oxide Varistors) which protect the equipment from surge & spike.....Moreover, APC line interactive UPS have AVR inside (Automatic Voltage Regulator) which takes care of power fluctuations also..

Yes and you can price match the cost of AV gear to UPS ;) (expensive)

I dont understand why are we after UPS? Is it for backup or protection from fluctuations?

If it is for backup, go for good online ups which is a very costly affair. Else go for a good stabilizer something like servo or equivalent with atleast 40-50% extra as reserve (at full load).

Note: You should never use any line interactive UPS for your AV power protection, its better connect directly to the power line

Line Interactive is a cheaper option than online and should always use it to safeguard your costly equipments.....LI UPS have voltage regulator inside it which is a must for managing the fluctuations....
A normal LI ups of 1KVA cost around 11K with 10 min backup and an Online UPS would cost you around 21K for same backup time

Line Interactive is a cheaper option than online and should always use it to safeguard your costly equipments.....LI UPS have voltage regulator inside it which is a must for managing the fluctuations....
A normal LI ups of 1KVA cost around 11K with 10 min backup and an Online UPS would cost you around 21K for same backup time

No comments.

IMHO, please dont invest in a LI UPS for your AV equipments just for protecting them. Use a good stabiliser instead. If LIs can do the work as you have told, life would be more easier. :)
Its like blindly going for ULIPS for investments by avoiding the term insurance and Mutual Funds directly which is far more cheaper than the ULIPS.

Note: A projector requires a UPS to protect the bulbs, a LI is the cost effective option, but should be connected after the stabiliser.

Last edited:
Alright , after reading above posts I'm evenmore confused :S , Ideally i dont want to spend more than 5k on the UPS if at all its needed ! I already have servo !

If you already have a servo stab and dont require any backup for any equipments like projector, spending on a UPS is a waste.

Edit: From ur old post it seems you have connected the servo stab to the entire house except heavy loads. You have an inverter also (Hope it is having more capacity than the servo stab). I suggest you use the servo for AV only and use a separate line from the mains to feed to avoid any load differences because of other equipments in the house. Moreover running any AV equipments from inverter is not at all recommended.

But if you require backup, i think connecting a LI UPS after servo will not be a problem, but for running the full AV setup requires high powered UPS (not more than the servo stab capacity) and will be expensive. For you, it would have been better going for an Online UPS instead of buying a servo (since you require backup).

Now what i suggest is to connect

Mains>> Inverter>>Full House except all AV components
Mains>>Servo>>SineWave UPS (better avoid this component or restrict the connection only to a few)>>AV equipments

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back