HFV Pune meet

. I agree on the synergy part though. :)

Yes,I have started believing that one should get whole system from same company than to get components from different & match them. That's why many have started thinking of powered speaker which has matched inbuilt amp.

Why the **** did i attend this meet?? now i am not able to stand my speakers :sad: they are not bad... but now having heard the purer sounds ... it is going to be a while to get used to them again.

o_O Whats..a sony GR-8 mini hifi bookshelf speaker from 1998 doing there! :O Who's is that?!

I have a pair of those too lol. They suck compared to other proper bookshelves but compared to present day mini hi-fi sony's they're 10 times better. Still though, surprised to see them!

@corElement - now u know the culprit :)

But ....... whaaaaaaaaaat a day !!! there is no way one would get to demo so many equipment and their combinations at one go.

i was eagerly looking forward to this day to meet everyone that i hv know only through your posts and ofcourse Viki ! though i met all of you for the first time (except Viki) but truly felt that i've been knowing many of you since long. what amazed me was the amount of knowledge each of you had and eagerness to share it.

My pick of the day? CA-S30, ProACs & Pass B1... managed to rekindle the DIY fire in me !

i am looking forward to the next mini and mega meets... hopefully i'll have something worthwhile for demo by then.

Sincere thanks to you all Viki, Denom, sonosphere Spiro, Santy, Hemant, Sachin, Omishra, Mr. Zed, Hari, sann, Flash, ruenigma, rohitmusic, theredcommando, atharva (cheers !), Mubeen Bose......

Cheers !

I'm not saying that AP is super refined amp and thus would sound ordinary under sub optimal listening conditions but it sure would be more sensitive to the environment than the likes of Norge, if that is what it is pitted up against. I've heard Norge and am fairly well aware on where it stands. I agree on the synergy part though. :)

BTW, it is not clear on what the APs were paired with. It would help understand better on what could've caused the anomaly.

Captain .
Considering the price point of 80k approx. we all expected a lot more from AP> Period.
Yes listening conditions , Speakers /Room acoustics etc play a very important part. However the same holds true for other speakers and amps as well
However all said and done .
((in the Pre + Power combos))
Norge + Pass B1
ElectroCompaniet Power + Pass as well as with Emotiva Pre
Rotel Power + Emo Pre

All sounded better than the AP>
Yes it is unfair to compare ElectroCompaniet / Krell etc in the same league as AP

AP's were paired with a multitude of speakers. I guess Denom would post the details soon.

Last edited:
@ Pune buddies - you rock...you simmply rock n roll n jive n hipper than hip hop!!!

thank you all for arranging such a memorable treat !! it's not a meet it is treat!!

@ viki - you are the king man!! Never saw such an gracious host ! Thanks for everything , the arrangement and tolerating for inconvenience! and the party in the eve was real rockin one! btw I may pan to be at GNR and will keep ya posted..

@ atharva - I like ur motto - I may not have gear but I have beer !!! No gear - only beer!! men you promised something and kept the promice! we need more n more friends like you!

@ sonospeare - like your devotion to arrannge and being the controller without overpowering - really appreciate

@ ruenigma -- always pleasure to meet. what issue we discussed ( non audio) we will discuss ...we need you in mumbai meet for ur DAC collection!!! also let us hope our proposed breakfast meet at microbrewery will take place!

@ denom - fantastic arrangements!!as always

@ omishra - my jaw was dropped before I heard ur equipment!! just for the fisnish! again it dropped when I heard it! keep it up! and please please if you are upgrading -- least give a quote! I hope I will buy ur stuff someday!

@ sachin - thanks for the standing offer of night stay ... man In a cruel city of mumbai we do not have time for ourselves !! hope to visit your place soon!

@ manvendra - my visit to your place is to due! nice to see ya again!

Rest of the pune gang , you are a fantastic lot! I like the well behaved and understanding nature! the number was large but we fit ourselves in available space ... and everyone tolerated each other! I think that is called values! ( I do not want to repeat that molestation complaint - of sitting on lap:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: - I mumbai meet - where plenty of seating was available!

In all a memorable meet which I will cherish for long!!

PreScript: I reached on time!!! (expression: Jaw dropping on floor... er make that two floors below) ...this time I changed my shirt too

Hi All,
Most of what I wanted to say has already been said in previous posts by other FM's so I won't repeat and bore the readers... presenting some thoughts I would like to share...

So many things change, yet so many remain the same...
The pillars that have remained same:
- Viki, the benevolent umbrella, above all overgrown kids..
- The venue (its more like HFV family room, complete with 'shady" corner near the "Bar" (Next upgrade: Bargurl :D)
- The camaraderie among HFV attendees... irrespective of age /background /etc... Half the attendees were volunteering on one thing or the other to maintain tempo of the show :thumbsup:
- The spirit of HFV (Something like this does exist... you can't see it, but its there :eek:hyeah:)

The changes:
- Practically speaking there is no such thing now as Pune HFV meet or Mumbai HFV meet... It's Pune-Mumbai chapter now. There is no division... the union is seamless... And all this is thanks to Mumbai Bhai's and their Duracell Bunny stamina :clapping::clapping::clapping:
- DIY stands neck to neck with pro-stuff (Thanks Omishra and Hari Iyer) :clapping::clapping::clapping:
- More of regular aspects.. (more people, more gear, more HT demos) :cheers:

Viki, Denom, Santy, Ruenigma, Mr. Zed, Pavan1957, Askii, Sachin, Mubeen, and all attendees...
you make this one day drive the next 365 days...
Thanks a lot!!!

Captain .
Considering the price point of 80k approx. we all expected a lot more from AP> Period.
Yes listening conditions , Speakers /Room acoustics etc play a very important part. However the same holds true for other speakers and amps as well
However all said and done .
((in the Pre + Power combos))
Norge + Pass B1
ElectroCompaniet Power + Pass as well as with Emotiva Pre
Rotel Power + Emo Pre

All sounded better than the AP>
Yes it is unfair to compare ElectroCompaniet / Krell etc in the same league as AP

AP's were paired with a multitude of speakers. I guess Denom would post the details soon.

Captain

After listening to stunning pairing of B1+Norge, we immediately tried AP Pre + Norge Power and Pass B1 + AP Power with same set of speakers. Majority of FM's felt that nothing came close to B1+Norge.

Nothing against AP but it just did not striked....

Maybe the synergy.... Focal+B1+Norge was an amazing combo. However when we tried Focals with Emotiva Pre+Rotel Monoblocks which is an expensive combo, SQ was not anywhere near to Pass B1+Norge.

But Emotiva Pre+Rotel Monoblocks combo with ProAc rocked viki's house. I personally felt that they sounded better than his Krell 300.

Firstly many many thanks to Viki. hats off to his family for putting up with us for one more crazy event.

Denom - u did a wonderful task of keeping the demo schedule running, freeing Sono for his detailed recording of expert opinion. Hope to get a detailed report from both of you.

Hats off to Sarang, Rohit, Santy, Cyclops, Zed & the rest of the gang for pitching in with the important work. An of course Atharva for lifting the spirits :D of the meet. We teetotallers enjoyed seeing you guys enjoy their KOGTs.

Friend's father is hale & hearty after the operation. But another case has now cropped up & so will be busy helping there from tomorrow. I will return to the thread in a few days.

See u all.!!

OT here ....... the Krypton TL FS is currently being fed (though temporarily) by the integrated Norge 1000 ... instead of the mightly Krell kav400xi. Just giving the Krell some rest! Must say, I do not have any complaints. The SQ, though more 'rounded' is 'lushier' and the sound colouration isn't all that bad either. So, it is all about the combination ... which speaker to what amplifier. It is very difficult to get to the right synergy as per ones 'ears' and music taste, as not only it has to be the synergy of the speaker with the amp, but also the interconnects and the source too.

Audio is as BAD as air-conditioning! Just too many parameters to satisfy to get to the right solution! :mad:

Last edited:
After listening to stunning pairing of B1+Norge, we immediately tried AP Pre + Norge Power and Pass B1 + AP Power with same set of speakers. Majority of FM's felt that nothing came close to B1+Norge.

Nothing against AP but it just did not striked.
I have full faith and trust in our fellow FMs and fully respect their opinions. In fact, I'm not trying to defend the APs and I have no association or interest in AP products. However, having owned the same combo and also B1 and having experimented with the B1 and the AP Pre with AP and Class D Power amps, I'm perplexed as to how the AP combo got trounced so comprehensively. That is why I had asked if you guys could pair the B1 with AP Power.
However when we tried Focals with Emotiva Pre+Rotel Monoblocks which is an expensive combo, SQ was not anywhere near to Pass B1+Norge.
I wish you had also paired the B1 with Rotel monoblocks.

I have full faith and trust in our fellow FMs and fully respect their opinions. In fact, I'm not trying to defend the APs and I have no association or interest in AP products. However, having owned the same combo and also B1 and having experimented with the B1 and the AP Pre with AP and Class D Power amps, I'm perplexed as to how the AP combo got trounced so comprehensively. That is why I had asked if you guys could pair the B1 with AP Power.

Even we trust your hearing Captain. Not only you, but there are so many good reviews on the forum for AP products. We were all so eager and set to hear the AP products.

Since there were so many gears, unfortunately we did not had much time to try more speakers, change various source, change various IC, etc...

I wish you had also paired the B1 with Rotel monoblocks.

Me too. By the time Rotels Monoblock came out (probably 8.00 pm), Omi had left with B1. We should have requested him to keep B1 with us and collect it next day.

Since there were so many gears, unfortunately we did not had much time to try more speakers, change various source, change various IC, etc.
Other day when me and Rajiv met Srinisunder for some auditioning, the topic came up and we felt the same. Too many gears would lead to lack of focus on the music being played.
By the time Rotels Monoblock came out (probably 8.00 pm), Omi had left with B1. We should have requested him to keep B1 with us and collect it next day.
Too bad, may be this can be addressed in the forthcoming Mumbai meet.

Last edited:
I remember the event last year, but somehow couldn't manage to attend this time...missed a GREAT event:mad:, rather greater this time with more gears, more people, more knowledge! this time. Hope everybody enjoyed a lot.:clapping:

Even we trust your hearing Captain. Not only you, but there are so many good reviews on the forum for AP products. We were all so eager and set to hear the AP products.

Since there were so many gears, unfortunately we did not had much time to try more speakers, change various source, change various IC, etc...

To put a long story short :) and what ever little knowledge I have in front of all you gurus my humble understanding:
1. We are actually comparing two completely different "sounds" - tube based Vs solid state.
2. Passive pre by nature is more true to source and transparent.

The transparent sound is simply great so I love it where as when I need music that needs to create warmth/mood I would prefer the tube/analog way (and it may not be for everyone).
So the A/B needs to be between Apples to Apples. :) In my case I love both A & B sounds depending on what I am listening to. Like there are "ragas" for different times of day so there is "sound" for different moods and tube based sound has very specific characteristics based on what ever I have heard till now :)

Also the only way to have a good picture and to do justice to any equipment is to spend time with the equipment :) As they say "time is the biggest healer" ;) Sometimes spending time with the equipment can help understand its strengths and weaknesses (especially the subtle ones) which may not be quite evident in first impressions over a shorter span of time by doing Ad-hoc testing.

So if it creates any confusion we always have a chance to verify things as the equipment is not going anywhere and always available for listening impressions... :) So relax... and enjoy the music...! :)

Warm Regards,
Rohit

DEMO NO.1

SOURCE: BERESFORD GATORISED CAIMAN(COST: 16K APPROX, FROM BERESFORD, UK) (BTW IT IS DISCONTINUED & NEW MODEL CALLED BUSH MASTER)
AMP: EMOTIVA X-100A MINI (COST: 19K EX MUMBAI, THROUGH AVENUE SOUND)
SPEAKERS: SONY GR8?
CABLES: WSS ICS + SOMMER 16 AWG SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
FM CYCLOPS1234 WAS KEEN TO HEAR HIS SPEAKERS WITH ANOTHER AMP, HIS AMP BEING THE NORGE 2060, SO HE REQUESTED US TO HOOK UP HIS SONY SPEAKERS. WE HEARD 1 TRACK & THAT WAS END OF IT AS, 1) IT WAS A WARM UP TO START THE MEET, 2) TRIED TO SHUT UP THE AUDIENCE AS THEY WERE CHATTING A LOT BUT SEEING THE SPEAKERS IT FAILED & 3) THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE IN THE MARKET.
ASKED AROUND, NO ONE INTERESTED EVEN TO MAKE A COMMENT !
MY VIEW: NICE TP BUT NOT NICE WHEN WE HAVE SOO MUCH GEARS TO DEMO. FEEL SAD FOR FM CYCLOPS1234 AS THE NEXT DEMOS WHICH FOLLOWED HAVE SHATTERED HIS PEACE OF MIND FOREVER & THAT THE UPGRADITIS BUG HAS HIT HIM H A R D :eek:hyeah:

DEMO NO.2

SOURCE: BERESFORD GATORISED CAIMAN
AMP: EMOTIVA X-100A MINI
SPEAKERS: PSB IMAGE B4 (COST: 21K, LAKOZY/ROHIT ENTERPRISE-PUNE)

OBSERVATIONS:
NARROW SOUNDSTAGE, CLEAN VOCALS, POOR INSTRUMENT SEPARATION. SPEAKERS COULD BE BETTER THAN THEY SOUND IN SMALL ROOMS WITH OR WITHOUT DIFFERENT AMP. DRIVER EXCURSION WAS HEAVY WHEN VOL WENT PAST 1 OCLOCK. THOUGHT THE SPEAKERS NEEDED MORE POWER FROM THE AMP.
MY VIEW: AMP/ SPEAKER SYNERGY WAS NOT BAD. KEPT OPEN FOR FURTHER EVALUATION, BUT COST OF THE SPEAKERS :eek:

DEMO NO.3

SPEAKERS: KRYPTON AUDIO K-100B TL WITH PAPER CONE ( COST: THESE WERE PROTOS, SO HARI DID NOT QUOTE EXACT PRICE FOR THEM)

OBSERVATIONS:
DID NOT ENJOY THE SYNERGY BETWEEN, THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE GOOD FOR SMALL ROOMS, NOT BIG ONES. COULD BE DUE TO AMP BEING THE WEAK LINK WITH ONLY 50W RMS(8 OHMS)
MY VIEW: SPEAKERS SOUND SIGNATURE HAS CHANGED POST TWEAKS CARRIED OUT BY HARI. NOT LIKED THEM AS MUCH AS I DID BEFORE :indifferent:

DEMO NO.4

SPEAKERS: PIONEER SP-BS41LR (COST:12K EX MUMBAI , THROUGH AVENUE SOUND)

OBSERVATIONS:
NOT BAD FOR SMALL ROOMS AGAIN. OVERALL SOUND WAS BIT RECESSED. SPEAKER WAS DISTORTING AT HIGHER VOLUME, COULD BE ISSUE OF AMP AGAIN AS THE SENSITIVITY OF THE PIONEERS IS 88 DB. THAT WAS CONCLUSIVELY PROVED AS CORRECT ISSUE AS LATER WE AGAIN PAIRED THE PIONEERS WITH ANOTHER AMP WITH MORE POWER & THEY STARTED TO SING REALLY REALLY WELL.
MY VIEW: SPEAKERS NEED BETTER AMPLIFICATION TO REALLY SHINE. SAD THAT THEY ONLY COME IN 1 FINISH.

DEMO NO.5

AMP: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM5 (COST:13.2K, TECHNOGURU)
SPEAKERS: PIONEER SP-BS41LR(COST:12k)

OBSERVATIONS:
WARM SOUND WITH LESS DETAILING. FOUND APPRECIABLE BASS OVERHANG, DUE TO PAIRING WARM AMP & SPEAKERS. SOME IN THE AUDIENCE LIKED THE PAIRING :rolleyes:
MY VIEW: SPEAKERS ARE GOOD BUT NEED GOOD AMPLIFICATION FOR THEM TO SHINE. ACTUALLY THESE ARE A SLEEPER PAIR, EVEN AT 12K.

DEMO NO.6

AMP: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM5
SPEAKERS: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S30 (COST:10.5K, TECHNOGURU)

OBSERVATIONS:
AGAIN SOUND SIGNATURE ON THE WARM SIDE. THIN VOCALS & RECESSED SOUND STAGE. LEAN BASS BUT THEN THE SPEAKER ITSELF IS QUITE SMALL & COMPACT, SO JUDGING BY THAT IT WAS OK. IDEAL SET UP FOR PEOPLE LIKING WARM SOUND & FOR SMALL ROOMS. SPEAKER STRUGGLED AT HIGH VOLUMES WITH DRIVER EXCURSION QUITE MASSIVE. FM ASKII2 FEARED WE WOULD KILL THE SPEAKERS IF WE CONTINUED SO WE WENT TO LOWER VOLUMES :lol:
MY VIEW: GOOD SPEAKER, NEEDS BETTER AMP PAIRING. IDEAL FOR SMALL ROOMS & FOR FOLKS WHO ARE NOT BASS HUNGRY.

DEMO NO.7

AMP: ARCAM A70 (DISCONTINUED & APPROX COST 50K)
SPEAKERS: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S30

OBSERVATIONS:
CHANGE OF AMP DID THE TRICK AS THE SPEAKERS SOUNDED EVEN BETTER NOW. SYNERGY WAS GOOD BUT THEN 1 NEEDS TO KEEP COST OF AMP & SPEAKERS IN MIND, AS BOTH ARE AT OPPOSITE SPECTRUM'S OF BUDGET. 1 THING PROVED AGAIN WAS THAT THE SPEAKER HAS ITS LIMITATIONS & 1 HAS TO KEEP IT IN MIND & CANNOT EXPECT MIRACLES BY PAIRING WITH BETTER AMP. STILL AS THE OPPORTUNITY WAS THERE SO WE COULD DO THIS ODD BALL PAIRING(PRICE WISE ODD BALL THAT IS)
MY VIEW: IF I HAD THE ARCAM AMP, WOULD DEFINITELY PAIR IT WITH BETTER SPEAKERS & DO THE AMP JUSTICE.

DEMO NO.8

AMP: ARCAM A70
SPEAKERS: KLIPSCH RB51II (COST:26K, CINEBELS)

OBSERVATIONS:
IT WAS 50-50 AMONGST THE AUDIENCE WITH SOME LIKING & SOME NOT. BASS WAS TIGHT & OVERALL GOOD SOUND SIGNATURE WHICH WAS NEARING NEUTRALITY. REAL NICE TIGHT BASS. SOME FOUND HIGHS BRIGHT.
MY VIEW: GOOD SYNERGY. KLIPSCH WHEN PAIRED WITH RIGHT AMPS ARE REALLY GOOD SPEAKERS. TOO BAD PEOPLE HAVE PAINTED THEM BLACK & HENCE MOST PEOPLE GO BY THAT GENERAL PERCEPTION & AVOID THEM.

EXHAUSTED NOW SO WILL END HERE. STAY TUNED FOR NEXT COUPLE OF DEMO COMPILATIONS AS THINGS GET INTERESTING :D

MEANWHILE YOU GUYS CAN SHARE YOUR VIEWS/ASK QUESTIONS :)

I found these photos that others who liked the ca s30 might appreciate.

4612_cambidge_audio_s30_1.jpg

We have done A/B compare in detail(PSB alpha B1 & CA-S 30)here-
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/27798-psb-alpha-b1-best-price-2.html
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/27798-psb-alpha-b1-best-price.html Link in post 3.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back