HFV Pune meet

I don't agree with denom's comment that CA S30 has 'thin vocals'. In fact, vocals and midrange is the area where it sounds the best IMO. We did not play any pure hindustani vocals[and instrumental] at the meet. Also, house/electronic music was missing. There was rhydhun track, but it was not played for longer duration.

To my eyes PSB's internals(on the link spiro posted) seem significantly inferior than CA S30. PSB's pcb seems fragile and overall finishing is very ugly.

I was not impressed with any PSB speaker even at the meet(except T6, but price again was too high). Experts please comment.

PS - I am commenting only about S30 as I have hardly any experience with other speakers.

Well,we played S30 after pioneer BS which sounded a bit heavy.So my initial impression were the same as Denom. but when I listen carefully,I found the sound was accurate,even vocals correct not thin OR dull.Instruments were correctly represented.I felt Bass was deeper than my Tannoy that too kept on stands.If you put those on shelf,I am sure you can get well rounded sound.

In fact, vocals and midrange is the area where it sounds the best IMO. We did not play any pure hindustani vocals[and instrumental] at the meet.

+1
I too missed this music at the meet and ask me why? ;)

(Sorry, I did not have any well mastered music that I could play at the meet and I felt almost guilty to play any slower tracks given the tempo of the music :p )

Maybe in next meet it can also be brought to the main stream.
For novices like us it could help to play less complex and slower tracks with fewer instruments and emphasis on vocals :) Just my humble 2 cents.

But at the end of the day high tempo helps make it an enjoyable day! Yay! :D

I have full faith and trust in our fellow FMs and fully respect their opinions. In fact, I'm not trying to defend the APs and I have no association or interest in AP products. However, having owned the same combo and also B1 and having experimented with the B1 and the AP Pre with AP and Class D Power amps, I'm perplexed as to how the AP combo got trounced so comprehensively. That is why I had asked if you guys could pair the B1 with AP Power.

I wish you had also paired the B1 with Rotel monoblocks.
I am as baffled as Capt. Rajesh about the AP amplification turning out to be underwhelming.
Imho, the combo brings out a very full bodied 3D soundstage that I have felt only with much more expensive/exotic set ups.
But then with audio, things like this are always possible.

Gotta hand it to you guys for pulling off such a big event without getting overwhelmed. Somebody please tag names of members on the pictures or is there a post like that already?

For benefit of all FM's keen to know who's who, pls read their names under the pics, the best that I can manage :)

Left to Right in all pics:

image.jpg

Mr.Zed, Jamz4nikz03, Askii2

image.jpg

Atharva, Just4kix, Atharva's Friend, Sonosphere, Sridhar-V, RahulP(Seated), Last person in black(forget his name):D heheheh, reminded by omishra that it is Pavan547 :lol:

image.jpg

Seated Back Row:RahulP, jbgude, 1235sam, spirovious, thecoolestone
Midrow Seated: Mubeen, Mr.Zed, rohitmusic, sumed(rohit music's bro)

image.jpg

just4kix, sridhar-v, reachbennym, atharva, theredcommando(seated)

image.jpg

Rearmost Seat: Sridhar-V
Middle Row Seats: Hemantwaghe, sonosphere(partly seen)
Front Row Seats: jbgude, Sachin

image.jpg

Seated on Chairs: Viki, Sagarvikram, Flash, Just4kix
Seated on Floor:Santy(closest), Hemantwaghe, Ruenigma(Black T-shirt+3/4th's)

image.jpg

Omishra(white t-shirt) & mbhangui

Last edited:
For benefit of all FM's keen to know who's who, pls read their names under the pics, the best that I can manage :)

Left to Right in all pics:

image.jpg

Atharva, Just4kix, Atharva's Friend, Sonosphere, Sridhar-V, RahulP(Seated), Last person in black(forget his name):D

Last person in black is Pavan547, pl correct me if I am wrong.

Last person in black is Pavan547, pl correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Om for remembering me...

Denom, How can you forget so early !! Thanks for your FLAC collection, during this roller coaster ride, just managed to copy a few !!

Somehow could n `t get A R Rahman FLAC collection..

Heyhey.....spledid meet as always. Thanks to Viki for hosting in a wondeful manner. Thanks to Sono, Denom, Sarang and many more for making this a huge success.

My favourites from this meet
1. Beresford caiman DAC
2. ProAc floorstanders
3. Electrocompaniet power amplifier

OT sorry!!
Eh :lol::lol: Thats bec 20% of the time we (sagarvikram,viki,just4kix,mbangui etc) were having our own big boys smokers party at other parts of the house :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Seriously guys.. You people were off the 'track' for 40% of the time... And that too after listening to my serious story of how I managed to quit smoking. :mad: :D

Denom did manage to cardon off the area off smokers, an instruction which lasted reasonably long (till late evening).:cool: After that when people started to light up their white sticks in the main hall, I realized how terrible it would be for a non-smoker to be around the fumes and being helpless about it. :sad::D

Denom, How can you forget so early !! Thanks for your FLAC collection, during this roller coaster ride, just managed to copy a few !!

Sorry about that. Actually I was unsure thats why decided to play safe rather than 'mislabel you' :D

Eh :lol::lol: Thats bec 20% of the time we (sagarvikram,viki,just4kix,mbangui etc) were having our own big boys smokers party at other parts of the house :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

You naughty boys need to resign from the smokers club ASAP. No jokes on this, serious request:sad: especially Viki, pls cut down your huge quota P L E A S E!!! :eek:

Nice to see the real faces (read flesh and blood) behind the handles.:)

Thanks bro :)

OT sorry!!

Seriously guys.. You people were off the 'track' for 40% of the time... And that too after listening to my serious story of how I managed to quit smoking. :mad: :D

Denom did manage to cardon off the area off smokers, an instruction which lasted reasonably long (till late evening).:cool: After that when people started to light up their white sticks in the main hall, I realized how terrible it would be for a non-smoker to be around the fumes and being helpless about it. :sad::D

Glad you realised yourself first hand what the outlook of a non-smoker really is. Am also very pleased that my family has managed to convert atleast 1 'smoker' friend of mine to leave the smoker's club :yahoo:

You are lucky enough to be in the photo.

I and Denom were in the same car from mumbai. I am not even present in the picture. :mad: :D

BTW where is the big man himself?? :rolleyes:

image.jpg

Seated Back Row:RahulP, jbgude, Shailesh, spirovious, thecoolestone

If I am not mistaken the third person in the Seated back row is 1235Sam :eek:hyeah:

Seated Back Row:RahulP, jbgude, 1235Sam, spirovious, thecoolestone

and yeah , it was awesome meet ! :clapping:

OT sorry!!

You naughty boys need to resign from the smokers club ASAP. No jokes on this, serious request:sad: especially Viki, pls cut down your huge quota P L E A S E!!! :eek:

Denom, Santy, Will surely make an effort to quit and follow your footsteps. I have been putting it off for too long.

With good friends and MUSIC around who needs cigarettes . :)

If I am not mistaken the third person in the Seated back row is 1235Sam :eek:hyeah:

and yeah , it was awesome meet ! :clapping:

Corrected the same dude :D
Thats what happens when you don't interact much with all present :eek:hyeah:
Next time hopefully ;)

DEMO NO.8

SOURCE: BERESFORD GATORISED CAIMAN
AMP: ARCAM A70
SPEAKERS: KLIPSCH RB51II (COST:26K, CINEBELS)
CABLES: WSS ICS + SOMMER 16 AWG SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
IT WAS 50-50 AMONGST THE AUDIENCE WITH SOME LIKING & SOME NOT. BASS WAS TIGHT & OVERALL GOOD SOUND SIGNATURE WHICH WAS NEARING NEUTRALITY. REAL NICE TIGHT BASS. SOME FOUND HIGHS BRIGHT.
MY VIEW: GOOD SYNERGY. KLIPSCH WHEN PAIRED WITH RIGHT AMPS ARE REALLY GOOD SPEAKERS. TOO BAD PEOPLE HAVE PAINTED THEM BLACK & HENCE MOST PEOPLE GO BY THAT GENERAL PERCEPTION & AVOID THEM.

You said it ---Klipsch IMO are not bad and if mated to the right amp. it will sound good. Synergy is key with Klipsch.
Thanks to its high sensitivity. Power is not really a factor.
Klipsch + Arcam to my ears did sound pretty sweet. A tad bright or would rather call it detailed. But thats how I like my sound.
I would have liked to hear them with some Jazz/Blues/Female vocals to get a better picture of the RB51
Maybe next time :)

You are lucky enough to be in the photo.

I and Denom were in the same car from mumbai. I am not even present in the picture. :mad: :D

BTW where is the big man himself?? :rolleyes:

image.jpg

darshanjoshi seated on sofa next to spirovious

image.jpg

Dude in black T-shirt looking back, darshanjoshi hogging chips & chugging beer :D

Both pics especially for you DJ, ironically both taken when the pre-lunch aperitif session was going on, how convenient no??? :lol: :eek:hyeah: :p

Denom, Santy, Will surely make an effort to quit and follow your footsteps. I have been putting it off for too long.

With good friends and MUSIC around who needs cigarettes . :)

You said it! Hoping to see you join Santy ASAP :)

You said it ---Klipsch IMO are not bad and if mated to the right amp. it will sound good. Synergy is key with Klipsch.
Thanks to its high sensitivity. Power is not really a factor.
Klipsch + Arcam to my ears did sound pretty sweet. A tad bright or would rather call it detailed. But thats how I like my sound.
I would have liked to hear them with some Jazz/Blues/Female vocals to get a better picture of the RB51
Maybe next time :)

Yes, we missed out on having an extended session on this combo. Need to hear it more. Maybe you can get in touch with FM jbgude & take your amp to his place to have a good session.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back