HFV Pune meet

+ 3 to what santy said.

Oakley, put in some effort to learn english before you criticize others for their effort.

There's a saying, "Practice what you preach"

Absolutely shameless.

Last edited:
DEMO NO.21

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS. PUNE MEET 2012 DATA COMPILATION DONE & DUSTED FROM MY END. HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED READING IT AS MUCH AS I HATED TYPING ALL OF IT :p

Me thinks you've forgotten Demo 26. which was done before HT.

Krell with Proac 110.

This was you way past the safe levels to pass a Alcohol breathalyzer.
Proof of which is in your left hand

[ Pic Courtesy - FM sagarvikram ]

Hip Hip Hurray from my side too!

Denom, I enjoyed your writeup thoroughly, especially the informal tone of narrative. It took me on a whirlwind tour of unending demoes in a flash.

Look forward to Mumai meet.

Regds,

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk

IN THE MIDST OF COVERING THE ENTIRE DEMO SET-LIST, I FORGOT TO ADD THE ONE NOTED BELOW, THAT TOO A STAR SET-UP WHICH GOT A GOOD AMOUNT OF:clapping:
MY OVERSIGHT, FOR WHICH I HUMBLY APOLOGISE TO ALL, ESPECIALLY FM SANN WHOSE GEARS WERE PART OF THE SET-UP.

DEMO NO.15AZ :p

SOURCE: ASUS ESSENCE 1
AMP: PASS B1 PRE + NORGE 1200 POWER AMP
SPEAKERS: FOCAL 706V(54K PRESENT PRICE)
CABLES: TCHERNOV JUNIOR ICS + GENERIC USB CABLE + CHORD RUMOR SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
THE AUDIENCE LOVED THE COMBO & RIGHTLY SO AS THERE WAS BEAUTIFUL BALANCE AMONGST THE COMPONENTS.

MY VIEW: I AM IN AGREEMENT WITH THE VIEW OF THE AUDIENCE. REALLY LOVELY SYNERGY, LIKE YANG & YANG:clapping: MY ONLY NITPICK WAS THAT OF THE BASS BEING A TAD BLOATED, WHICH AM SURE COULD BE HANDLED WITH CHANGE OF CABLES. ALSO THE PASS B1 SHOWED ITS GRIP ON THE CHAIN YET AGAIN. HAVE A FEELING THAT THE FOCAL 706V'S PAIRED WITH ANOTHER AMP MIGHT NOT HAVE PERFORMED SO ADMIRABLY. MAYBE FM SANN CAN SHED MORE LIGHT ON THIS.

SAD THAT WE COULD NOT HAVE TIME TO DO A CABLE ROLLING SESSION. BUT THAT LEAVES US FOOD FOR THOUGHT & ALSO MORE AREAS TO DELVE INTO WHEN WE HAVE FUTURE MEETS ;)

HOPE IVE COVERED ALL THE OTHER DEMOS, SAVE THE VERY LAST 1 (WHICH HAD THE PROAC 110'S/KRELL KAV 300I/EMOTIVA USP1/ROTEL RB06 MONOBLOCKS) & FINALLY THE HT. SHALL I LEAVE IT TO MY FRIENDS WHO WERE WITH ME TILL THE VERY END TO DO THE NEEDFUL ? :D

Me thinks you've forgotten Demo 26. which was done before HT.

Krell with Proac 110.

This was you way past the safe levels to pass a Alcohol breathalyzer.
Proof of which is in your left hand

Yea, that demo & subsequent pairing with 2 sets of amps was actually done for 2 reasons, 1) Viki & me wanted to prove each other our point & 2) Enjoy some more rock music which invariably postponed the HT Session :lol:

I think I will not write about that demo, let the others who were there give their opinions on it. Viki & myself will be happy to get the 'feedback' from you & the others who were there :p

As for the pic, sagarvikram is a chuppa rustam. Audio's loss is photography's gain. The guy sure is talented with a DSLR :) I thoroughly enjoy seeing that pic & seeing all the elements captured in it, notably me being in my ELEMENT!!! ;)

COMBLETE bwewraa BAWAJII CHEEY ..... :D

Yes indeed! Am not ashamed about it either :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Wow, this sounds like a great meet-up! If this was a year ago, I would have loved to attend it as I was still in Pune.

Awesome job of doing the detailed write-up, Denom!

I had one question to the attendees - overall, what were your thoughts on the Emotiva USP-1? I ask only because I bought it recently, but bought it "blind" (without doing any audition or comparison). While I think it sounds good in my setup and for my musical preference (rock), I have no way of comparing it to anything else, so I was really interested in knowing more about how others thought the pre-amp performed.

Thanks!

Well!!! Guys from the meet and from Pune & Mumbai, am glad you had a wonderful meet and a bit jealous too :( :eek: but hope to read more comments about music, rigs & about people too especially in this thread.. :p

A Job well done under any sort of circumstances my dear Audiophil~ic seniors, pioneers & gurus.. (No Sarcasm there..)..Thanks to all of you I am a bit more enlightened.. and thanks to all those people who posted informative posts & pics & Denon .. what can I say.. your work of taking notes and working on presenting it to us.. is just.. gosh darn useful for me to conclude somethings.. a special thanks for all the info!!!

@captrajesh

Your statement saying AP can produce at given budget is slightly off logic, can you describe more about it.

I don't understand what you don't understand. Pun intended.:D

Seriously, I think I've explained how they do the pricing at different price point reasonably clear. Could you kindly elaborate what you meant by what has been highlighted above?

Thanks for the excellent write up guys.

What preamp was the electrocompaniet paired with ? Who owns this amp ? What preamp does he use ?

The only way an AP product can sound bad is because something is broken or a serious mismatch issue. Not sure what went wrong here. If setup right, they play perfect music. Many experiences spread over many years with them.

And the gent is back in action sprouting riotous prose and as usual targeting a particular Indian brand :sad: Well intentioned?? Not sure ! Comedy ?? Definitely !

DEMO NO.21

DEMO NO.25

SOURCE: TEAC UD-HO1 / AUDIO GD-19 + MARANTZ (USED AS TRANSPORT)
AMP: EMOTIVA USP-1 PRE + ROTEL RB-06 MONO BLOCK POWER AMPS
SPEAKERS: KRYPTON K-100 B TLS(KEVLAR CONED)
CABLES: WSS ICS + AUDIOQUEST OPTICAL + SOMMER SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
ACTUALLY I DUNNO AS BY NOW HAD STARTED TO WHET MY THROAT WITH SINGLE MALT & STOPPED PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THE FEW IN THE AUDIENCE WERE SAYING. ME THINKS THEY WERE ALSO PRE-OCCUPIED WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE POISONS:lol:
HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER WHAT THEY LIKED/DISLIKED & CHIME IN. SPIRO/SONOSPHERE/THECOOLESTONE & ANY OTHER TEATOTALLER CAN PLS FILL IN THE BLANKS ;)
THANKS IN ADVANCE :p
:p
Well Teak was not bad,it has an overall balanced sound,but it lacked the soundstage & Bass depth which other DAC gave.Details were better in AUDIO GD-19 & was sounding very close to Marantz CDp.

Thanks for the excellent write up guys.

What preamp was the electrocompaniet paired with ? Who owns this amp ? What preamp does he use ?

I've been asking that for a few posts now :p but it seems to belong to a mysterious owner :p

The Electrocompaniet belongs to FM Mubeen. He uses a Electrocompaniet Pre as well.

Well Teak was not bad,it has an overall balanced sound,but it lacked the soundstage & Bass depth which other DAC gave.Details were better in AUDIO GD-19 & was sounding very close to Marantz CDp.

The Teac was pretty new. I guess it needs some burn in time.
But yes completely agree with you. Audio GD is a brilliant DAC and comparable to the Marantz SA 7003

DEMO NO.22

SOURCE: MARANTZ SA7003 / AUDIO GD-19 DAC (COST:35K BACK IN THE DAY, DISCONTINUED MODEL NOW)
AMP: PASS B1 PRE + ELECTROCOMPANIET AW-120 POWER
SPEAKERS: PROAC 140
CABLES: WSS ICS + VDH SPEAKER CABLES + CO-AXIAL(FORGET WHICH MAKE) + SOMMER SPEAKER CABLES

OBSERVATIONS:
IDEA WAS TO COMPARE THE DACS OF THE MARANTZ SA7003 CDP & THE STAND ALONE AUDIO GD-19 DAC. TURNED OUT TO BE REAL CLOSE AS WE DID NOT FIND ANY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2, EVEN IN BLIND TESTING. EITHER WAYS IT WAS LIKED BY MAJORITY OF THE AUDIENCE.

MY VIEW: SURPRISINGLY SAME SOUND SIGNATURE FROM BOTH MARANTZ SA7003 CDP & AUDIO GD-19 DAC WAS A :eek:

I still find it difficult to believe that Marantz SA7003 and DAC-19 had DUPLICATE signature. So different electronics yet almost exact sound!
Even the loudness levels were same... that meant their output voltages were almost same!

It's easier to believe that Santy was faking A/B switching :lol: (sorry Santy, just kidding)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back