Hi-End Speaker Cables

rohit1712

What brands are available in india offering hi-end speaker cables. What would be the drawback to cut and join such cables.

You get some speaker cables from Audio stores like Audio People, Vector, and many others from other cities too , but if you cut and join the more expensive ones which range from 50000 to anywhere about 3 Lacs , there wont be a decent value for them while reselling ..

<Insert recommendation for my favourite cable company here. You know, the ones with the ultrasonically welded speaker cable terminations. I'm feeling like I mention them so often I'll get accused of advertising! :eek:>

Cutting and joining... hey, just don't. And I'm not even serious about cables!

There are numerous brands available. If you post your system details, people might suggest something based on their experience. And these suggestions may or may not work for you since the sound is a combination of how this cable reacts between your amplifier and speaker. Getting the right cables can make or break your system. Cost has pretty much nothing to do with it after a certain point IMHO.

I used to have blue jeans cables for my entire system at ne point. Great value. Dont use them any more. Cables made by Murthy beat them fair and square. Moved from them too when I changed the gear. A studio cable sold by acoustic portrait worked the best with my AP gear ( bested audience au 24 cables). I still use them. Works great with LFD and blumenhofer. WSS cables sold by the listening room are great too.

Assuming that one is looking for cables to carry the signal from amp to speaker without letting it be changed it in any way, what do Hi-End speaker cables do that hardware store bought copper cables of adequate gauge don't?

Assuming that one is looking for cables to carry the signal from amp to speaker without letting it be changed it in any way, what do Hi-End speaker cables do that hardware store bought copper cables of adequate gauge don't?

Nothing.

But it aids in mental masturbation for some species.

With good 'cable sense' (which includes gauge, shielding and layout of various cables), any decent cable works fine.

What brands are available in india offering hi-end speaker cables. What would be the drawback to cut and join such cables.

All the previous replies around the ilk of "cables are cables" are wrong.
Cables make significant differences in sound production from your decent quality gear (entry level high-end and up).

But you do need to have some sort of decent setup to really hear differences.

Lots of cables bought from non-credible sources (like ebay when shipped from anywhere around China) are fake.
Many brands, like Monster Cable, are now also not worth the price.

Good entry level cables can be gotten from companies like Kimber Kable and Audioquest. Some commonly available cables can also be good but its hit or miss and, again, difficult to hear on a mass market audio system.

So if you feel you have decent equipment and want to reply with a list of what you have I could recommend some appropriate cables.

Last edited:
But you do need to have some sort of decent setup to really hear differences.

And a pair of serious and willing ears an open mind in between. :)

An ability to concentrate for critical listening, some experience and knowledge of what to look for would of course take it to a different level.

Blind folded you would not know the difference between a regular 12 AWg copper cable and a snake oil 50K /mtr cable.. on very revealing systems with a willingness to spot the difference..
Interconnects with batteries slapped on them supposedly regulating the dielectric property of sheilding (25K for 0.5 mtr) and good quality interconnects within the range of sanity (2K for 1.5 mtr) would sound the same on a Sim Audio + Joseph audio as they would ona Yamaha + JBL.. only the latter would be much lighter on you pocket..

Weirdest of all "cables are directional" i almost choked and then came the advice on running the cables in or burning in of the cables and how the sound changes for good.. almost had mini stroke..

Please don't let anybody educate you about 'inductance' and 'capacitance' of cables these are the jargons which have been misused or rather abused to make us part with the hard earned money on things that add negligible value to your listening experience..
Go for a decent 700 or max 1000 rupees/mtr copper cable without cutting and joining.. spend your money on good amplification, speakers and source and you will be set..

IMHO, if you need to change cables to bring out the sound of your system then you might as well get an EQ or a tone/bass control. It is also wrong to say that cables do not make a difference since not all cables are made equal.

Is this expensive cable going to perform like an ordinary generic cable? I am too poor to experiment with this kind of cable but one of my friend did demonstrate in his system that this cable was capable of changing the sound. I am pretty sure if I could rip of the cylinder from the cable then both would be performing identical.

I have a few so called high End cables but they are just straight wires without any fancy gadgets attached like the JPS cable above . In my system, they do not make a difference. I am still using them along other ordinary cables.

I humbly would suggest - when you are looking for minute improvement in your system, ask yourself whether you could honestly tell the difference without a reference?

Good sound is not some magical gift that only can be heard by a select few. Don't torture yourself by countless hours of AB'ing to find the difference. I wouldn't consider something as an improvement if I couldn't tell on the first hearing. I have seen many audiophiles spend days and group listening just to prove cable X is better than cable Y. Is that the purpose of having spend money on a system and we are still trying to figure out which cable would be better instead of listening to music?

I recently took part in a Toslink vs Coaxial cable shootout in KL International AV show. Honestly, there could be slight difference but unfortunately I don't think anyone would able to get it correct beyond the chances of probability. As expected, 8 people out of 294 got the five answers correct. According to the law of probability there must be 9 out of 294 capable of getting it correct. There you have it about cable difference. I have fooled many visitors with China cables and Yamaha Amps. (Some of the old timers now insist to double check all my equipment before listening so that they wouldn't be tricked again. :)) )

Use the money to buy good speakers - matching your room size and a reliable amplifier to drive those speakers. These two are capable of giving immediate improvement or difference without the need to side by side comparison before you come to a conclusion.

And lastly, if you have bought the cables then don't worry because somehow you will hear the improvement or deterioration.

Sorry for being rather blunt. :)

+1 to hifiramr and rav_mk1

and dont add banana plugs to the cable. adding banana will add one more resistive material to signal path. Bare wire connections are best and no $$$ banana plug can compete with same.

Until personally experience the difference no one agree with the high end/gauge cable funda.. I was one among them until I changed my surround speaker cables.

My denon 3312 was connected with reasonably good cable bought from local shop for last 2 years. As I moved to new house one cable become short and I have ordered C & E 14 AWG 100 feet cable from amazon.

Once I changed I felt that increased sound and clarity (placebo effect :) ) from surround speakers. I have re calibrated with Audussey mike again and found loudness of the rear speaker reduced by -4 .

So now I believe there is something different when using high AWG wires.

Until personally experience the difference no one agree with the high end/gauge cable funda.. I was one among them until I changed my surround speaker cables.

My denon 3312 was connected with reasonably good cable bought from local shop for last 2 years. As I moved to new house one cable become short and I have ordered C & E 14 AWG 100 feet cable from amazon.

Once I changed I felt that increased sound and clarity (placebo effect :) ) from surround speakers. I have re calibrated with Audussey mike again and found loudness of the rear speaker reduced by -4 .

So now I believe there is something different when using high AWG wires.

I would like to believe so but are we comparing apples to apples?

1) C&E 14 AWG vs ? AWG.

2) 2 years old cable vs brand new. Corrosion at contact point is one of the major reason for sound difference.

3) Old house vs new house. since you mentioned that the old cable was short then it is possible you never listened to them in the same position or same listening environment.

It is not my intention to suspect your observation but just asking are we comparing apples to apples when we say cables make a difference.

Hi friends, I want to upgrade the connectors in few of my high end speaker cables with high end banana connectors. Are there any place in india to do the termination as perfect as professionally? Kindly let me know . Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

@sunder..plz refer post number 16 in this thread...and if not convinced..there are n number of banana plugs available ranging 1 USD to 10000USD...and both the plugs use same material available on earth..with gold plating..just to stop the oxidation of copper

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back