Hifiberry digi+

@santosh4: I am also planning to get one of the HiFiberry products since RPI is my only media center in the house. I use is mainly for movies and the noise/ hum from the sandard 3.5 mm jack is really bad.

@santosh4: I am also planning to get one of the HiFiberry products since RPI is my only media center in the house. I use is mainly for movies and the noise/ hum from the sandard 3.5 mm jack is really bad.
That Humm, static kinda noise was the main reason I added the digi. It's superb after that. Now planning to do one of those diy where the digi board is powered directly.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

That Humm, static kinda noise was the main reason I added the digi. It's superb after that. Now planning to do one of those diy where the digi board is powered directly.

MaSh

Somehow I never noticed that for the first few years with my original RPI. Then it started coming and I thought my iball speakers were acting up.
Then I bought a new RPI 3 and the problem is still there. :)
Of course, that was not the only reason to buy the new RPI, but anyway.

I am waiting to buy a stereo amp and Dali speakers now.
Then my 2.0 will be complete (possibly add a sub) and by then I really need to get digital output from RPI to the new Yamaha or Marantz amplifier.

At the same time, I do not want to give up on the OpenElec/ Kodi that I have (no Volumnio etc. for me).

Do you see any challenges that I need to look out for?

Somehow I never noticed that for the first few years with my original RPI. Then it started coming and I thought my iball speakers were acting up.
Then I bought a new RPI 3 and the problem is still there. :)
Of course, that was not the only reason to buy the new RPI, but anyway.

I am waiting to buy a stereo amp and Dali speakers now.
Then my 2.0 will be complete (possibly add a sub) and by then I really need to get digital output from RPI to the new Yamaha or Marantz amplifier.

At the same time, I do not want to give up on the OpenElec/ Kodi that I have (no Volumnio etc. for me).

Do you see any challenges that I need to look out for?
Okay I noticed it soon after I hooked a USB dac to the Pi. I was using hdmi out till then and there was no issue at all. However, after I connected the USB dac the sound was horrible. I then attached the digi and used Coaxial out from the digi that feeds the dac. Hdmi still goes to the receiver. Kodi is smart enough to route all stereo sound to the digi and pass through to the hdmi when there is multi channel signal. No issues on that front. I have not tried any other OS so no idea how they would work. But OSMC works great. Here is a pic of my digi.

65145b522e38b117d1b1ff03d962e17a.jpg

MaSh

.... I then attached the digi and used Coaxial out from the digi that feeds the dac.
Ok. Why not the optical? Just curious.

Hdmi still goes to the receiver. Kodi is smart enough to route all stereo sound to the digi and pass through to the hdmi when there is multi channel signal.
I assume you have a 5.1 channel receiver.
I am looking at a 2.1 setup for now and hence will go with a stereo amp (with some modern technology - such as the PM6006 or the N602 (Yamaha).)

So, in my case, I hope that once I get Digi it directly connects to the amplifier in optical IN (or Hifiberry DAC+ directly connects to RCA) and play everything in stereo mode. I do not want any 5.1 ch output to escape via the HDMI directly to the TV.
I am not sure which of these would be better.
Later on I should be able to add a sub and then in OpenElec I can set the sound as 2.1 for the movies to be better.

Ok. Why not the optical? Just curious.

I assume you have a 5.1 channel receiver.
I am looking at a 2.1 setup for now and hence will go with a stereo amp (with some modern technology - such as the PM6006 or the N602 (Yamaha).)

So, in my case, I hope that once I get Digi it directly connects to the amplifier in optical IN (or Hifiberry DAC+ directly connects to RCA) and play everything in stereo mode. I do not want any 5.1 ch output to escape via the HDMI directly to the TV.
I am not sure which of these would be better.
Later on I should be able to add a sub and then in OpenElec I can set the sound as 2.1 for the movies to be better.

Coaxial as I had a good quality Coaxial Cable lying around:).

Yes in your case, if your amp can process the 5.1 signal and scale it down to stereo or 2.1, then you are all set. Just see that you do not select HDMI Passthrough. My DAC cannot process anything more than 2 channel, so I have switched on the HDMI Passthrough. So music is automatically directed to the DAC via Digi and when I play a Movie with multi channel audio, it gets redirected to the receiver via the HDMI. The default Audio Output selection would be the HifiBerry Digi and not HDMI.

MaSh

Yes in your case, if your amp can process the 5.1 signal and scale it down to stereo or 2.1, then you are all set.

How do I figure that out? Say if I go with N602 (Yamaha) or PM6005 (Marantz), what will happen if I send 5.1 ch audio via optical/ coaxial?

How do I figure that out? Say if I go with N602 (Yamaha) or PM6005 (Marantz), what will happen if I send 5.1 ch audio via optical/ coaxial?

It'll be down mixed (I'm not sure its the correct word) to Stereo 2.0 or 2.1 automatically depending upon your amp capabilities. I watch some movies and TV series with lots of dialogues with my stereo amplifier and only tower speakers instead of AVR. Stereo especially without Sub is less tiresome in my experience. You won't miss the Surrounds in TV drama series especially with a powerful stereo amp (of course action genre would be better watched in 5.1).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The single rca out could be the digital Coaxial out along with the optical out. Same arrangement on the hifi digi too.

MaSh

I see. I thought it was analogue out, but you are right. Logically this Digi should give out only digital out. :)

Digi+ is not a DAC. So both coax and optical outputs are for digital data only.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in.

I was looking at the IQAudio Digi+
https://www.max2play.com/en/2016/11/new-from-iqaudio-the-pi-digi/

This has Digital (optical out) and also RCA.

How does one connect this single RCA out to a 2 RCA IN on the amplifier?

Like the others mentioned, the Digi+ outputs only digital data: In Coaxial and Optical modes.

If you want to connect the RPi and the HAT directly to the amp (i.e. take analog output to feed the amp), you need the IQAudio Pi-Dac+ or the Hifiberry DAC+ or the Mamboberry DAC or any of the other HAT DAC options.

Hello All,
I'm confused between (3+ & Digi+ Pro) or (3+ & Dac + Pro). I have an marantz NR1606 AVR that can do the amplifier job. I'm looking for the best sound quality to my 2.0 Book Shelf speakers. I dont have any good DAC and not willing to buy if I can achieve good SQ with Dac Pro. Please suggest

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back