HK/JBL v/s Sony v/s Onkyo v/s Yamaha

kabramahesh

Hi guys,

I am not too technically smart to compare the products, but i am looking for a technically superior sound system. Sorry if my questions are too basic/naive.

In the last 2 weeks i have collected information and was comparing following home theatre systems.

1. Harmon Kardon AVR133 + JBL SCS140Bk
Output - 50W X 5 + 100W Subwoofer
Woofer - Active

2. Sony DAV DZ370
Output - 1000W
Woofer - Passive

3. Onkyo HT-S3105
Output - 120Wx5 + 130W Woofer
Woofer - Passive

4. Yamaha HTR6130 + Yamaha NS-P270
Output - 100Wx5 (675W Total)
Woofer - Active

I watch a lot of movies and listen to loud music, hence i decided to go for a surround sound system rather then bookshelf speakers. Secondly, as my budget is only upto 25K, only the above metioned systems fall into that category. Thirdly, in future i wanna buy a NMT and connect all my media sources through that, so I am okay if the system doesnot have a DVD player.

Kindly suggest me which system would u rate better and why?

I am confused whether I should go for an entry level system for better companies like HK/JBL or Onkyo rather then high end systems of Sony. (Though I like the sound quality better with JBL, I think Sony would be louder as it is 1000W).

Pls let me know if there are any questions for me?

Many thanks
Mahesh
(Sorry, if any of the above systems are reviewed in any other thread, I still thought of posting a thread as I wanted to compare all the products together.)

I put my bet on Harmon/Kardon+ JBL
I have the speakers and in small spzes quiet [ack a punch.
Also do not go on Harman & Jbl's low wattage figures - their ratings are always very conseravative!
Also no other system is providing 8 Inch active subwoofer ; I think ( If I am correct Yammy is 6 Inch Active ,rest are 6 or lesser passive)
Also low prised yamaha speakers are not highly regarded.
Anyway whayt is quoted price for Harmon Package?

Hemant

Things to look out for as part of your research.

Get speakers that are atleast the size/ metrics of the bookshelves. Very small HTiB speakers do not sound so well once you bring it home from the store.

Re: sub, get a powered one and ensure that you have atleast a 8 inch driver. Anything below is just for kicks.

Do a search on the forum the Onkyos and Philips seem to be pretty popular. Moserw and madbullram have provided the features/spec/opinions on a number of threads.

Hi guys,

I am not too technically smart to compare the products, but i am looking for a technically superior sound system. Sorry if my questions are too basic/naive.

In the last 2 weeks i have collected information and was comparing following home theatre systems.

1. Harmon Kardon AVR133 + JBL SCS140Bk
Output - 50W X 5 + 100W Subwoofer
Woofer - Active

2. Sony DAV DZ370
Output - 1000W
Woofer - Passive

3. Onkyo HT-S3105
Output - 120Wx5 + 130W Woofer
Woofer - Passive

4. Yamaha HTR6130 + Yamaha NS-P270
Output - 100Wx5 (675W Total)
Woofer - Active

I watch a lot of movies and listen to loud music, hence i decided to go for a surround sound system rather then bookshelf speakers. Secondly, as my budget is only upto 25K, only the above metioned systems fall into that category. Thirdly, in future i wanna buy a NMT and connect all my media sources through that, so I am okay if the system doesnot have a DVD player.

Kindly suggest me which system would u rate better and why?

I am confused whether I should go for an entry level system for better companies like HK/JBL or Onkyo rather then high end systems of Sony. (Though I like the sound quality better with JBL, I think Sony would be louder as it is 1000W).

Pls let me know if there are any questions for me?

Many thanks
Mahesh
(Sorry, if any of the above systems are reviewed in any other thread, I still thought of posting a thread as I wanted to compare all the products together.)

The Sony plain sucks, I've heard it. HK is good but what's the price its coming at? Otherwise Yamaha and Onkyo are fine and do a good job for an entry level HT system.

I put my bet on Harmon/Kardon+ JBL
I have the speakers and in small spzes quiet [ack a punch.
Also do not go on Harman & Jbl's low wattage figures - their ratings are always very conseravative!
Also no other system is providing 8 Inch active subwoofer ; I think ( If I am correct Yammy is 6 Inch Active ,rest are 6 or lesser passive)
Also low prised yamaha speakers are not highly regarded.
Anyway whayt is quoted price for Harmon Package?

Hemant

HK/JBL is costing 25K in mumbai. Showroom price for Cine System 133 at The Shop.

Hi,
Blindly go for Yamaha because of its durability and justifying sound quality for both Movies and Music. I have been using Yamaha Amps for past 6 years without any problem.
Regards

I have nothing against Yamaha- I am using Yamaha Amp - but their budget speakers are NOT at all match to JBL and again against Onkyo which is passive.
Dealers alwayas say Yamaha low prised speakers are Chinese one 9 Though most of the Speakers are Chinese)In fact the sale is so low that 6 months back Croma Malad was selling 6.1 Yamaha ( onne level below mentioned package ) for 5500- and saw least 10 boxes lying.
Think 8 Inch Sub against 5.5 Inch Sub

Also Check JBL+Harman in Atria mall in JBL/Harman showroom and see if you get some discount.Also Sumaria keep the same PKG.

In fact you can get Yamaha +Wharfadale also for 26 K but again I beleive wharfadale package with 6 Inch Active Sub. The offer was in exhibition
The package Was

Yamaha HTR 6030
&
Wharfedale
Moviestar 65+ ( Designer Audio - Products)

The address is

Designer Audio - Contact

Wharfadale Mumbai Dealer

DESIGNER AUDIO INDIA PVT. LTD.
'Arun Chambers', Ground Floor, No. 9,
Near AC Market, Tardeo, Mumbai - 400034.
Tel: 23520320, 23512836, 9820096760

Thanks Hemant. I think i will check Atria (they also have Sonodyne speakers) and Wharfadale showroom.

I have nothing against Yamaha- I am using Yamaha Amp - but their budget speakers are NOT at all match to JBL and again against Onkyo which is passive.
Dealers alwayas say Yamaha low prised speakers are Chinese one 9 Though most of the Speakers are Chinese)In fact the sale is so low that 6 months back Croma Malad was selling 6.1 Yamaha ( onne level below mentioned package ) for 5500- and saw least 10 boxes lying.
Think 8 Inch Sub against 5.5 Inch Sub

Also Check JBL+Harman in Atria mall in JBL/Harman showroom and see if you get some discount.Also Sumaria keep the same PKG.

In fact you can get Yamaha +Wharfadale also for 26 K but again I beleive wharfadale package with 6 Inch Active Sub. The offer was in exhibition
The package Was

Yamaha HTR 6030
&
Wharfedale
Moviestar 65+ ( Designer Audio - Products)

The address is

Designer Audio - Contact

Wharfadale Mumbai Dealer

DESIGNER AUDIO INDIA PVT. LTD.
'Arun Chambers', Ground Floor, No. 9,
Near AC Market, Tardeo, Mumbai - 400034.
Tel: 23520320, 23512836, 9820096760

No discounts at JBL Showroom at Atria Mall and The Shop for the Harmon Kardon Cine System 133.
But i heard the system once again definitely sounds better then Yamaha PS270. and has a 8" active subwoofer, which is not there in any other system.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back