hometheather speakers as checked in luggage

humveeguy

Hi folks,

I need some direction here. I have purchased KEF KHT 2005.3 system with a compact kube subwoofer. But I have to travel from US to Bangalore.

Im not sure if it is allowed to check in speakers as luggage.
The subwoofer is 10 kg with 8 inch driver and I have 5 other small satellites.

I called up flight office and they says it depends on the strength of the magnet.

Has any one ever traveled with a speaker or home theater checked in. Please let me know as my travel is next week. Please help:sad:

HG

Should not be a problem. I have brought B&W 683, 684 towers, B&W ASW 675 sub, Jamo D7 LCR, D6 SURR & BACKS and BOSE AM15 too. all as checked in baggage In emirates from Dubai. comparing the above your speaker package is nothing.

R. Balagopalan.

Last edited:
Should not be a problem. I have brought B&W 683, 684 towers, B&W ASW 675 sub, Jamo D7 LCR, D6 SURR & BACKS and BOSE AM15 too. all as checked in baggage In emirates from Dubai. c.

Hi Bala,

You guys are terrific and Im floored. Since in my case, they are medium size, Im keeping them in my spinner suitcases and properly covered. Hope it will be fine all the way till bangalore.

HG

I had brought a sat-sub HT speaker set some years back. I had removed the sats from the carton and packed them in a suitcase wrapped up in clothes and brought only the sub in its carton.
The one thing that I would do is to fill up all vacant spaces inside any carton, be it speakers or electronics, with clothes so that the box is as one solid piece and cannot be punctured by mishandling. Since you are using the suitcase method, this will also need to be packed adequately tightly.
Do check with the airline regarding sizes and weights of your checked in bags. Airlines today are pretty fussy about this especially from the US.

Last edited:
I have brought my set of speakers from US multiple times, as long as you are within baggage limits, you should be fine

Does this include sub woofers also ? I have an 8 inch woofer here. Not sure if this is in a strong Magnetic material classification ?

HG

I have carried my HT system within India by AI. It was inclusive of Subwoofer and AVR. AI guys did a great job in carrying it safe until its handed over to me at the destination. Since 3 of us were travelling, it was well withing baggage limit.

Does this include sub woofers also ? I have an 8 inch woofer here. Not sure if this is in a strong Magnetic material classification ? HG

After I had mentioned B&W ASW 675 sub aren't you convinced. If you are not aware let me explain it is with 12" driver and the driver alone is 14 kgs imagine the magnet size!!!!. once I sent the driver alone to and fro to Dubai by emirates thru my friends for replacement. (I can substantiate it with evidence if you need).

Have not carried the entire subwoofer, but have carried drivers and amps multiple times for DIY purpose.

Here you go HG a fully exposed magnet has been brought by madbull too. I don't think any more testimony is required.

Finally which check in counter staff is going to ascertain the strength of the magnetic field!!! So just chill man and bring it.

R. Balagopalan.

humveeguy,

I agree with everybody who has commented on this.

Also, My sister has carried a AV Receiver Onkyo TXN-R818 few months back which weights about 20 KGS :) through Emirates.

Truthfully speaking, Equipments You're carrying shouldn't overweight and nobody questions it other than the customs at the exit.

Regards,
Karthik.

I just carried back a Sony STR840DN from the US, fortunately no issues.

Hi Thanks.
I have 2 queries which may help others also :

1. Does this AVR supports PAL video inputs also without any issues from our India cable boxes
2. Did you put in a checked luggage and was there an inspection note ?

humveeguy

1. Of course through composite ie RCA the yellow colour lead of 3 wires.
2. What if?

Well, The query is
1. I have Dish TV, HD, and it produces PAL equivalent signals over HDMI . (freq of frames). This is usually the case with almost all the HD boxes. If the AV receiver does a decent video passthrough video is unaffected. See the specifications for yamaha receivers, they list all the frame rates supported at the end. Some manufacturers control it in the region specific firmwares , and may end up with only NTSC passthrough. RCA is as you said unaffected.

2. Well, in my case, the suit case is hard side suitcase without a TSA lock . So, I wonder if they check it and how they may lock the suitcase after opening up. If they atleast put duct tape I will be happy. The other baggage is a zipper which I dont know can withstand the transits and the weight of subwoofer.

hg

Hi guys,

As per IATA rules magnetic materials are not allowed unless declared and shielded. Are these rules not checked for ?

Shipping Magnets by Air

HG
Speakers and drivers are routinely shipped by air by a number of users.
The magnets used in the speakers have gauss values way below the max allowed and hence they are not classified as dangerous goods.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it is within the baggage limits... sub woofer may be but not drivers for sure.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back