Hot spot on corner of one day old Sony Bravia HX850 46 inch

Bravia850

Hello everyone.. I am new here. I got a Sony Bravia HX850 delivered just yesterday evening and at night I noticed two hot area on the black rim of the tv. Its hot to touch not just warm but neither burning hot. Rest of the bezel is cold/room temperature. I am getting really worried. It is normal?? What are these hot spots?? I will report it to the store I bought it from (Reliance Digital) but before that I want to test the tv for 1-2 more days. Can anyone say what are these hot areas on the rim?? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Hi i also have a Sony HX850 so can you post some pictures of that area? I bought my tv in july and its working well as if now.

Thanks for replying. The tv has no visual difference... no pixel dead or anything. Its just hot to touch at 2-3 spots on the black rim area. One spot is on the left side rim towards the bottom. The other one is on the right side rim towards the bottom. I was feeling the rim with my hand and then I felt it. It gets hot from the moment onward I turn the tv on. Sorry I couldnt provide any pic. The tv appears totally normal to look at, no red mark or anything on these hot areas.

Hmm.. I will check that and update you on this matter.. I don't think there is any need to worry but still I will check :)

LED tv's aren't supposed to get that hot as you described. however, plasmas get very hot sometimes. Better talk to the dealer.

Thanks for replying. The tv has no visual difference... no pixel dead or anything. Its just hot to touch at 2-3 spots on the black rim area. One spot is on the left side rim towards the bottom. The other one is on the right side rim towards the bottom. I was feeling the rim with my hand and then I felt it. It gets hot from the moment onward I turn the tv on. Sorry I couldnt provide any pic. The tv appears totally normal to look at, no red mark or anything on these hot areas.

Well not sure how hot it is ,but i believe those are the places where the LED emitters sit and they do get hot which is normal.

This is the internal backside picture of HX850 in the below link as you can see there are no PCBs on the edges,so it has to be the LED emitters generating the heat,which is normal
1.JPG

Hello everyone.. I am new here. I got a Sony Bravia HX850 delivered just yesterday evening and at night I noticed two hot area on the black rim of the tv. Its hot to touch not just warm but neither burning hot. Rest of the bezel is cold/room temperature. I am getting really worried. It is normal?? What are these hot spots?? I will report it to the store I bought it from (Reliance Digital) but before that I want to test the tv for 1-2 more days. Can anyone say what are these hot areas on the rim?? Anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

Just checked my 46 HX850 and I don't feel any heat at all, neither warm nor hot at the rear of the TV. I was about to post, but noticed you said "black rim" rather than "back rim" as I thought on first reading your post.

I rechecked and find the lower right and left corner on the front of the panel feel warmer compared to the top right and left corner. They aren't hot though. TV has been on for about 2.30 hrs now.

I remember reading a review of the HX850 that indicated the edge LEDs on this model were at the lower left and right corners, so maybe that's what is causing the heat emission.

Just checked my 46 HX850 and I don't feel any heat at all, neither warm nor hot at the rear of the TV. I was about to post, but noticed you said "black rim" rather than "back rim" as I thought on first reading your post.

I rechecked and find the lower right and left corner on the front of the panel feel warmer compared to the top right and left corner. They aren't hot though. TV has been on for about 2.30 hrs now.

I remember reading a review of the HX850 that indicated the edge LEDs on this model were at the lower left and right corners, so maybe that's what is causing the heat emission.

I believe that hx850 is backlit led model. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

^ of course the back lighting used in this television is LED, the exact term is HX850 is a "LCD-TV with edge LED".

@justforkix. It is an edge lit model however in order to enhance black levels the reflected light from the edge LEDs is manipulated, I.e. turned on and off. Previously the same was dome with the whole backlit screen panel with local dimming. These panels used to be thicker and had problems of blooming.

Today the installation guy came and I asked him about the issue he said its normal. But I am still a bit worried to so mailed Sony customer care about this although I am a bit relieved after reading the answers here. Thank you evryone.

Just make sure you take the extended warranty. That way if things go bad, you can ask for it to be rectified free of cost :)

Just to update: Yesterday my husband visited reliance digital from where we got the tv and felt the panel of the display model there and it was hot in the same area too. As well as Sony responded to the mail we sent and sent 2 repairman to our home to check the the tv and they said its normal, no issues with the tv. Thank you everyone for replying to this thread.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back