How Satellite Dish (DTH) performs in rains in UK?

Chulbulee

Yesterday it started raining in Delhi and my DishTv said no Signal, though the rain was not heavy. I wonder how people in UK watch DTH there as it almost rains daily. It was so frustrating no StarTV, no Sony, no ZeeTV ... no nothing. Earlier only some channels were affected. Is this unique to DishTv or even TataSky and Airtel users have the same experience.

Have a look at the signal level. Generally the technicians lock the dish when they get 60-65% signal strength but for all weather viewing, signal strength should be around 85-90%. Also if you are using 60cm dish, I recommend you should upgrade to 90cm dish and a good LNB like Sharp. I followed these procedure 4-5 yrs ago when using D2h, no issues even during heavy rains.

The dish is 90 cm one, but what is LNB? Do we have a choice?
LNB is Low Noise Block. It is the receiver attached to the front of the metal arm over the parabolic antenna. You can get a good after market LNB like the one I suggested or there will be much more choices available now. fellow members can provide more info regarding this. The Sharp LNB I purchased around 2012-13 (if I remember correctly) is now also working fine. If the signal distorts even in very less rain or having pixelation issue, it can be a faulty LNB. Cross check it with your neighbors.

The dish is 90 cm one, but what is LNB? Do we have a choice?
With a 90 CM dish, signal loss during rain should be minimum. You need to check alignment (azimuth, elevation and skew parameters) , LNB and connectors. Should get above 85% signal quality in weakest channels if the installer aligns the dish correctly. Then you will have less signal loss during rains. Normal drizzles shouldn't matter at all actually..
You can ask for a installer visit and check once.

Just wondering why nobody is selling 90cm dish + high quality LNB in the market, I am sure there will be quite a few takers if available...
NB: I searched in amazon.

90 cm dish is provided, especially with HD STB. I believe there won't be much of difference in price when purchased in bulk by providers. Hardly 50-60 Rs if going by current availability on amazon. Wonder when service providers start giving better options

Thanks. But which ones fit into weakest channels?
Weakest transponder can be checked using the set up menu. I haven't used Dish TV. However, you can figure out how to check satellite settings in your STB checking YouTube. You need to go through Menu - Settings - Installation / Satellite settings usually. There will be a 4 digit secret code (typically 2nd, 4th 6th and 8th digit of your viewing card number). Check for the transponders which are having lowest signal quality. Dish alignment should be done for such transponders to peak the signal quality level.
It's difficult to do it alone without a signal meter. I use two mobile phones and a video call to look at the signal level while aligning the dish which is on the terrace.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back