Best dth hd provider in india - airtel vs videocon vs tata sky

I got the d2h installed yesterday. It took more than 2 hours for installation as the signal strength / quality was not coming at par. Then it was found it might be due to connecting to the internal cable wire that was done at the time building of the apartment.

Later connected directly and it was much improved. So I had to live with the cables running at the top of the ceiling instead of running it through the internal ducts. Anyways, i am happy it got happy ending.

I am overall satisfied with the quality. I had initially connected the HDMI directly to my AVR. But later realized, I had to switch it ON always to hear the audio and switching off the AVR would turn the connection OFF. So later connected the HDMI directly to my LED TV (ARC equipped) so that I can hear the sound from TV and switch on AVR only when I require to hear sound through my AVR.

I noticed the sound from rears is little low while watching HD Movies compared to watching movies from disc/USB. But nevertheless the digital sound quality is top notch and have good effects from front / center & SW. :yahoo:

what is the code to enter into the menu where we can see the signal strength. it is different from the code '1234'. The installation guy was seeing the back side of the box and entered the code during the set up.

Hi,

I currently have a Tata HD STB and was trying to valuate and see if that's still good when compared to Airtel and Videocon in the market.

my package:-
Mega South HD [322 Channels] - Semi Annual for Rs 7900
Star World Premiere [2 Channel] - Semi Annual for Rs 360
HBO Premium Channels [2 Channels] - Semi Annual for Rs 594

Would it wise for a change ?

Criteria,
1. No of Channels - SD & HD, Radio Channels
2. Picture Quality & Sound Clarity
3. Customer Service.

Kr,
Sudhan

Mega South HD [322 Channels] - Semi Annual for Rs 7900

Are you sure ? The ANNUAL MEGA package which has ALL the channels except the SW Premier and HBO- costs around 8K.

In my opinion TS has the edge with reference to the ease of use of the remote/software, quality of their STB and their complaints service. I am told that TS will be adding to their bouquet of HD channels, though no details have emerged over the past two months.

I had a costly experience last year when I shifted to D2H and back to TS. (Subscription rate and picture quality is around the same) the main benefit is that you currently get 3 or 4 additional HD channels on D2H, no idea about airtel.

In the end it is 6 of one or Half a dozen of the other- and you need to make you call on that.

Are you sure ? The ANNUAL MEGA package which has ALL the channels except the SW Premier and HBO- costs around 8K.

In my opinion TS has the edge with reference to the ease of use of the remote/software, quality of their STB and their complaints service. I am told that TS will be adding to their bouquet of HD channels, though no details have emerged over the past two months.

I had a costly experience last year when I shifted to D2H and back to TS. (Subscription rate and picture quality is around the same) the main benefit is that you currently get 3 or 4 additional HD channels on D2H, no idea about airtel.

In the end it is 6 of one or Half a dozen of the other- and you need to make you call on that.

Thanks for your response jbgude.

Sorry that was mistake from myside Semi-Annual Package for all channels TS is charging Rs 5264. (300 SD + 23 HD Channels) - I have TS HD box without recorder, now comes the deal from Airtel.

Airtel HD+ they have priced it at Rs 2K (1 month subscription free after which I will have to pay Rs 680/monthly or Rs 4080/half yearly)
Airtel HDR (500 GB HDD) is Rs 4590 (2 month subscription free after which I will have to pay Rs 680/monthly or Rs 4080/half yearly)

Airtel Channel has 335 SD + 24 HD Channels.

I have airtel HD connection,since last 4 years,due to numerous problems,I want to shift to another DTH service provider,in any complaint matter referred to Airtel! Their service is the most pathetic,I have been having numerous problems ,which includes no video for hours on,the matter is still unresolved after years of complaints,this is one of the few unresolved problems,other problems remain unresolved too,so now feeling airtel,s attitude,I have decided to shift to other DTH service

Tatasky is not providing DD+(7.1) sound as of now.Yes,the STB can support DD+ sound but it is not providing but ADTV is providing DD+ sound for some star HD channels.

I am currently using Tata sky Plus since the last 10 months or so. I keep subscribing to the Semi annual Mega HD pack every 6 months plus semi annual Star Premiere HD and HBO defined and Hits HD. It is slightly pricey , but you get most of the HD channels available right now , the main ones i can think of that u dont get are Neo sports and Neo prime. i Also have a second box in the house which is just an HD box.

I love the recording feature and the interface is also really good. And i can watch one channel and record another at the same time, that's a good feature. So far ive never had any problems in Picture quality , at the most 2 or 3 times during the heavy rains , but i.m really happy with tata sky , glad i switched from my local cable guy , ICC , whhich was just too horrible.

Overall i'd rate Tata Sky about 9/10.

Could you comment on the sound output level via lcd speakers between tata sky and Videocon. The sound clarity of my d2h is very poor with the sound garbled and not really audible with cracking sounds at times.
Would really like to know if there is a difference?

I think the sound in my d2h is pretty decent,the pq is good and in terms of hd channels they are second only to dish with the recent addition of hd channels like tlc hd,mtv indies hd,axn hd etc..:yahoo: and most hd channels are dolby digital..s/w wise TS is better but thats the only thing I see better so far..will have to see the PQ post mp4 migration is complete by June end to see whats the best

Hi guys,

Facing issues with Tata sky reception after first rain in Mumbai.
No TV from last two days.:mad:

Have asked Tata services to address the issue asap.

Guys please advise if this will go on for the entire Monsoon till Aug or the issue will get resolved, I believe they need to adjust the dish direction, which may have shifted a bit due to high winds.

Please advise.

Could you comment on the sound output level via lcd speakers between tata sky and Videocon.

Not sure what you mean by LCD speakers- do you mean the TV ? from what I remember the sound/ picture quality was about Par on TS/D2H. My family(and I) were dissapointed with the recording facility on the D2H.

Capt. Baury: I am of the opinion that the Pic stability on TS with the rains is better this year: do get the dish orientation checked- but more than that, we need to see how many more HD channels add to their service without ripping us off after their migration to a new satellite.

Hi guys,

Facing issues with Tata sky reception after first rain in Mumbai.
No TV from last two days.:mad:

Have asked Tata services to address the issue asap.

Guys please advise if this will go on for the entire Monsoon till Aug or the issue will get resolved, I believe they need to adjust the dish direction, which may have shifted a bit due to high winds.

Please advise.

If services do not resume after the rains stopped/there is clear sky, the first thing to do is check the dish. Just gently tug and push it, and ask someone to check your TV when you do. Most of time it will start easily. No tools required! unless it is grossly out of the required direction.

Better to give it a try yourself rather than staying 2 days without TV.

Regards,
Moshel

Experienced users please share your comparative feedbacks of rain outage and otherwise signal loss of d2h,tatasky and airtel.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back