Help Finalizing DTH

m2maddy

Alright folks, have been researching and reading threads for 2 weeks now to see which DTH to get and am still confused :confused:

My TV: Sony 47W850A

Requirements
Good PQ Especially for HD Channels (Star Plus, Sports, Movies)
Decent Price point
Performance during rainy seasons
Future Proof (MPEG-4, Future 3D Ready..)
Dolby Digital Sound
Max budget of Rs 400-500 per month.

I see that Tata Sky has best PQ with Airtel 2nd and Videocon a very close 3rd to Airtel.

Price wise Videocon seems miles ahead compared to others.

Performance during rainy seasons as I have seen seems to be similar across all 3 with many recommending that using 90cm dish performance improved on all 3 with Airtel and TataSky being better.

Future proofing goes, Airtel is MPEG-4, Tata is converting many channels to MPEG-4, Videocon seems to be MPEG-4 as well and supports 3D (advertised).

I need to buy the new Dish and STB so looking at combo offer of annual packs.
One good pack I see is from D2H where it is Rs 5350 for Gold Pack which seems to have all included except few Eng movies and Entertainment channels but that is fine as I stream movies and TV shows.

Please help me choose one.

--
Maddy

Last edited:
Alright folks, have been researching and reading threads for 2 weeks now to see which DTH to get and am still confused :confused:

My TV: Sony 47W850A

Requirements
Good PQ Especially for HD Channels (Star Plus, Sports, Movies)
Decent Price point
Performance during rainy seasons
Future Proof (MPEG-4, Future 3D Ready..)
Dolby Digital Sound
Max budget of Rs 400-500 per month.

I see that Tata Sky has best PQ with Airtel 2nd and Videocon a very close 3rd to Airtel.

Price wise Videocon seems miles ahead compared to others.

Performance during rainy seasons as I have seen seems to be similar across all 3 with many recommending that using 90cm dish performance improved on all 3 with Airtel and TataSky being better.

Future proofing goes, Airtel is MPEG-4, Tata is converting many channels to MPEG-4, Videocon seems to be MPEG-4 as well and supports 3D (advertised).

I need to buy the new Dish and STB so looking at combo offer of annual packs.
One good pack I see is from D2H where it is Rs 5350 for Gold Pack which seems to have all included except few Eng movies and Entertainment channels but that is fine as I stream movies and TV shows.

Please help me choose one.

--
Maddy

+1 for d2h.go for it.

+1 for d2h.go for it.

subbubusk,

Can you please answer the points which I have doubts about especially the rain part and whether my understanding that most HD channels are Dolby Digital and the STB is indeed MPEG-4.

I have heard the remote is bad, do we have an Android App for the remote?

Also do you have the 90cm dish or 70cm one?

--
Maddy

Can you please answer the points which I have doubts about especially the rain part and whether my understanding that most HD channels are Dolby Digital and the STB is indeed MPEG-4.
Yes, Videocon's STB uses MPEG-4. Most of the HD channels are DD. IIRC, there was a post on the forum showing the list of HD channels with DD on Videocon.

It hasn't yet poured buckets here in BLR since I got Videocon's D2H, but haven't noticed any problems with light to medium rain which could be due to the fact I've got the larger HD dish as opposed to the smaller SD one.

I have heard the remote is bad, do we have an Android App for the remote?
Yes, it is quite the POS, but you'll get used to it albeit with a lot of swearing. :) AFAIK there aren't any Android apps to control the STB and even if there are, unless your tablet/phone outputs RF they are of no use since the STB and remote are paired via RF on Videocon.

Also do you have the 90cm dish or 70cm one?

I have a HD dish which is larger than the SD dish, not sure if it's 60 or 90cm though.

Last edited:
Yes, Videocon's STB uses MPEG-4. Most of the HD channels are DD. IIRC, there was a post on the forum showing the list of HD channels with DD on Videocon.

It hasn't yet poured buckets here in BLR since I got Videocon's D2H, but haven't noticed any problems with light to medium rain which could be due to the fact I've got the larger HD dish as opposed to the smaller SD one.

Yes, it is quite the POS, but you'll get used to it albeit with a lot of swearing. :) AFAIK there aren't any Android apps to control the STB and even if there are, unless your tablet/phone outputs RF they are of no use since the STB and remote are paired via RF on Videocon.

I have a HD dish which is larger than the SD dish, not sure if it's 60 or 90cm though.

Thanks, I just ordered the South HD Platinum pack now, they said for HD it is only 65cm dish and for HD DVR they give 90cm dish, will check when the installation guy comes and see if I get that extra for a low price.

Remote is a big concern but yeah I think I can live with it by swearing :)
I love to keep changing a lot of channels except when parents are watching or watching sports.

Good to know so far its fine, I am just hoping too much rain doesn't mean total downtime of the STB.

Now to wait patiently for installation and enjoy the HD channels on the new TV.

Even I am confused about what should I do? Today is the last day of my annual subscription. I am on the edge to recharge my Tata Sky annually (1 HD+ and 2 SDs) or go for new DTH provider. Any suggestions?

I ordered it yesterday at 1.30pm and got it delivered, setup, installed by 6.45pm.
Very impressed by that.

First impression based on 5 1/2 hours of viewing time.
HD Quality is pretty good, SD is not that bad as well but HD is HD :)
Audio quality is great on most of the HD channels.
Remote is a bit bad but you will get used to it.
UI is sluggish with lag, if you are operating like I click 4 times channel change in 1sec and expect it to happen, give up now :)
Restart time is about 20 seconds, don't see that as a problem.
UI is also bit hard to get used to because some buttons aren't named in Remote, but then again you will get used to it.

HD Channels Watched: StarPlus HD, Zee TV HD, StarSports HD2, LifeOK HD, SonySix HD, Movies Now HD
SD Channels Watched: Times Now, NDTV 24x7, HBO

Overall it feels decent and good value for the price.

My TV: Sony Bravia 47W850A
D2H Plan: South HD Platinum Pack (Annual)

--
Maddy

Even I am confused about what should I do? Today is the last day of my annual subscription. I am on the edge to recharge my Tata Sky annually (1 HD+ and 2 SDs) or go for new DTH provider. Any suggestions?

Go for D2h, HD channels are cheaper than TS and quality is the same. I have been using the same from 5 months and pretty happy with the same.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back