How to build my Home Theatre

gchirag

HI Folks,

This is my first post in this forum. After having gone trough a few threads, I have come to realize a couple of things:
> Stay away from the popular mass brands like Sony, LG, Samsung
> It's better to opt for an AV Receiver instead, which would give better connectivity & last a decade
> One should ideally 'build' ones home theatre system....this is where I need some expert advise

I am currently having a Hitachi 32 inch LCD TV along with a Sony PlayStation3 in my bedroom which is roughly 20 feet by 20 feet (high ceilings, old house). I have a 5 yr old Sony 5.1 HT setup which has gone kaput almost, due to which I must upgrade. My budget for the said purpose is currently Rs.70,000.

I live in Kolkata, so please suggest accordingly, as I think one cannot get all the brands here, unlike a Mumbai/Delhi/bangalore..i guess

I have taken the demo of Onkyo 3500 in 'Promises' (onkyo distributor in Kolkata) & also the Yamaha 2064 in Reliance Digital but was left unimpressed. My priorities are as under:
> Watching Blue ray & DVD rip movies downloaded from net
> Playing action games on PS3
> Hearing music through my pen drive (do the AV receivers rea all music formats? Would they read movie formats too?)

I was contemplating having a Marantz receiver (1603/1403) Or a Harmon Kardon AVR 134 Or a Denon 1312 Or Onkyo 3500
>>Boston Acoustics A250 or CS226 Floor Standing side speakers
>>Wharfedale WH2 centre speaker
>>Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS rear surround speaker or Sonus V3
>> Jamo Sub 260 subwoofer Or yamaha Sw 215 Or Sonodyne Roarr 108

My budget is flexible, if I buy the rear & centre speakers after 2months of buying the AV receiver, side speakers & subwoofer.

Please give your valuable suggestions, as to whether this combination is good & will it at all work or not. Will I get support for all these brands in Kolkata? If so, where? Moreover, members who have purchased from Hifi mart, if you could share your buying experience, I shall be obliged!

Regards

Chirag
PS: Im not looking forward to blasting music, rather rich music

From the whole above, I can just comment on buying experience from HifiMart

I bought Warfedale Obsidian HT Package
They were very responsive and helping.

Speak to them on Phone

try to hear
wharfedale,sonodyne,polk

wharfe,paradigm at harmonie audio new alipore
sonodyen showroom south city mall
polk.kef at profx gariahat

harmonie and profx both keep denon avr....
hifimart having goood sale in denon and wharfedale combo....
if the sound combo suits you can take from hifimart.......

at 70k you can start with a pair of wharfedale fs at 35k and a 35k denon 1912 avr.......
buy rest later.......

try to hear
wharfedale,sonodyne,polk

at 70k you can start with a pair of wharfedale fs at 35k and a 35k denon 1912 avr.......
buy rest later.......

Hi Prosenjit,
Im so glad i got a response from a kolkata based member. I had been to ProFx last saturday & heard Polk TSI500 with a Denon 1612 AVR combo...sound was quite good to my novice ears...but then I tried out KEF Q500 which was simply mesmerising....Im kind of sold on the Q500 but it costs more than the first option....

As you said, I too was thinking on the same lines, about buying just the AVR & Floorstanding speakers first & then wait for the 26th Jan Republic day offer from Sonodyne to invest in the rear surrounds/centre channel speaker!

The price quoted to me for the first combo was 64000 with free installation & 75000 for the KEF combo. So its a 10k difference...what do you feel?

Moreover the Denon 1612 is not a 2012 model, but I guess reviews are good...whats your take on the same?

Thanks once again

try to hear
wharfedale,sonodyne,polk

buy rest later.......

Visit ProFX near Gariahat. Audition Denon AVR, Polk Audio speaker.
Visit Impressia near Park Circus Ice Skating Ring and audition Yamaha.
Visit Money Square or South City Mal for Sonodyne.

All three options will give you blasting experience ...

Hi Koushik,
ProFX done...one down 3 to go...Harmonie, Impressia & Digital Accoustics. Lets see how it goes..will take it slow

One more thing I would like to mention is that after having tested the POlK & KEF, even though they are of US & UK origin respectively, the sticker behind said , "MADE IN CHINA"!
I would like to know from the learned members of this forum as to the implications of this. Im sure these are being assembled in China to save costs, but are they of same quality as say the ones being made in US or UK for domestic customers over there?

Thanks

Chirag

1612 being a last year model is not at all a problem.but for driving floorstanders i think 1912 is better...
yes for some money extra kef is off course a better deal than polk.
dont deicde anything final for now.
hear sonodyne and wharfe also....
i dont know you did not mention sonodyne....dont underestimate this speakers....at give a try at south city mall.....high quality for the price...

btw can you braek up the pricing..1612 should be 25k.....not more.and dont worry about installltion..you can yourself do this...

about being made in china i am also a novice to make a comment..dont know really anything is being made in uk or denmark nowadays....let the gurus suggest...

1612 being a last year model is not at all a problem.but for driving floorstanders i think 1912 is better...
yes for some money extra kef is off course a better deal than polk.
dont deicde anything final for now.
hear sonodyne and wharfe also....
i dont know you did not mention sonodyne....dont underestimate this speakers....at give a try at south city mall.....high quality for the price...

btw can you braek up the pricing..1612 should be 25k.....not more.and dont worry about installltion..you can yourself do this...

about being made in china i am also a novice to make a comment..dont know really anything is being made in uk or denmark nowadays....let the gurus suggest...

Hi Prosenjit,
Thanks for your suggestions...I had spoken to harmony, will be going there on saturday I think. Don't worry i will definately check out Sonodyne, especially the AVANT 345.

Moreover, I also wanted to ask you regarding the 'source'. I have a Sony PS3 through which I intend on playing music cds & blue ray movies..is this fine or should I get a proper BR player? I don't want to clutter my bedroom with too many players, as my wife will give me a hard time :sad:

The KEF Q500 is a 2 & half inch bass reflex ,3way speaker having a sesitivity of 87db, max output of 110db, 5.25 inch bass drivers & frequency range of 40HZ-40KHZ ! Are these specs good for the price? Which is the most important parameter/s for determining a good speaker?

Thanks Again

Chirag

for now no need of a br player.
ps3 is enough.yes a expensive cd player is something different class.dont worry.use your ps3.later ehen strong in budget get a cd player if unsatisfied with ps3s sound.dont decide anything now.oppo is a player which has a capability of cd player and a blu ray player.....
for blu ray playing there wont be much difference you can notice..so ps3 is quite enough for blu ray play..

you demoed floorstanders...also hear bookshelves...if you are happy with bookshelves,much money can be saved on that and that money can be used to get a very good sub...so bass will be managed by the sub.also fs are very powerful machines...if cannot use the full potential of the fs in your room size..better to go for a bookshelves..but demo is very imp...also i dont know your room size for a big room yes off course floorstanders are needed...
demo very imp....then decide..

My room size is 15 feet by 12 feet roughly.

I went to Digital Accoustics today & heard the Tannoy V4 Mercury, but wasn't impressed. I felt it was too heavy. The bass was too much even on a soft song. The KEF is till date the best iv heard. Hoping to demo the Sonodyne & Wharfedale this weekend & then purchase next month.

Cheers

CHirag

what is your preference a movie set up or music or a mixed and you plan f0r a setreo set up or 6 channel set up...
if going for a 6 channel set up i highly recomend bookshelves in your given room size instead of fs.....adding sub will diminish the use of fs....so bookshelves better

for a stereo case as only a pair is needed can buy the fs pair......as it is a one time buy and we all have a crave for fs....

I am looking for a 6 channel setup, mainly for Gaming/movie viewing experience and a bit of music through my usb. I do have a fancy for Floorstanders though bookshelves will be much more space effective. Since this is a long term investment, I would like to invest properly, keeping the future in mind (in case we move to a bigger room, etc).

Which are the best Bookshleves under 30k?

Thanks

yes keeping this in mind that you may shift in a bigger room off course a pair of fs is good.
okay have you thought about this...
now invest your whole present budget on a 3.1 syatem....fs pair and a centre....
so obviosly you will get some quality items....
later when strong in budget invest in a sub.
more later rears....
this way you will have a killer strong system

just an idea...
like say if you buy a denon mid end evr with alll channel pre outs around 75k....and later get an int amp(15k)..so your system will be super future proof and super strong
and invest rest 60k for a centre and fs pair....

under 30k there are many bs speakers from many makes...it depends on your ear taste...

just an idea...
like say if you buy a denon mid end evr with alll channel pre outs around 75k....and later get an int amp(15k)..so your system will be super future proof and super strong
and invest rest 60k for a centre and fs pair....

This is beyond my budget. I have 70-75K max to spend right now & im ready to invest it only in the AVR & FS/BS. I can buy the centre and rear later. Maybe 35k in AVR & 40K in speakers is good enough? I shall go with either Denon or Yamaha in the AVR dept (not decided on the model) & the KEF Q500for FS I guess

okok sorry i confused your budget with another thresd...please dont mind.

ok yes for 75k budget your plan seems perfect.
but just increse a little on avr and get a denon 2312 at 43k.......

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back