How to connect a Subwoofer to Integrated Amp (Marantz PM8003) ??

prash2k01

I have been using my Integrated amp (Marantz PM8003) with Quad 11l2 for movies and music both
Now I wants to add a Sub like SVS PB1000 or SB1000 (will be part of SVS group buy)

But I am bit confused on connection part.

I have gone through couple of posts in different forums but need to confirm here:

Simple way: How to hook up a subwoofer to a stereo system - CNET
"The subwoofer is hooked up to the receiver with a single interconnect cable. subwoofer's speaker-level, aka "high-level," inputs -> speaker cables to the same speaker output jacks on your receiver.
That means you have to double up the connections on the receiver or amplifier .

It would be required some connecters so any pointers to get them?? TIA

Another reference: Analog Stereo | Audioholics Home Theater Forums

Amp's back pannel pic: http://www.avrev.com/images/stories/equippoweramps/marantz8003/PM8003-REAR.jpg

Sub's back pannel pic:http://www.technologytell.com/hometech/files/2013/02/SVS-STA-300D-Sledge-Amp.jpg

Also any suggestions on SB1000: will it be good with my gears for movies as well?

Sir,

2 ways of doing it.

Connect the Pre Out from the amp to the line level input of the sub by means of an interconnect.

Or connect Speaker B jacks from the amp to the Speaker level inputs of the sub by means of a speaker cable.

Either should work fine.

Cheers

Sir,

Or connect Speaker B jacks from the amp to the Speaker level inputs of the sub by means of a speaker cable.

Cheers

are you sure B jack.....??
say speakers are connected thru A jack than how Sub connected thru B jack would be controlled??

There is also a 3rd way: you could connect the Sub to "Rec out" ( please check the Amp/Sub specs before you do anything)....

I have attached the amp and sub connection pic in first post, plz have a look and suggest
Thanks

I have attached the amp and sub connection pic in first post, plz have a look and suggest
Thanks

From the picture of the amp it has pre-out clearly mentioned, so use either a L/R RCA cable or a single subwoofer cable to connect to the line-in of the subwoofer and you are good to go.

are you sure B jack.....??
say speakers are connected thru A jack than how Sub connected thru B jack would be controlled??

I am not familiar with your amp in particular but amps generally allow you to use either A or B, or A + B together, so am assuming yours does too. The A/B selector switch should be on the front panel.

If not, then PreOut to Line Level in is the way to go. Also, keeping the Sub's Low Pass filter setting at about 60 or 70 will help control boominess from the Sub.

The 8003 has the facility to disconnect the power amp input from the preamp. Check your user manual. The button is on the front panel.
The least complicated way is to disconnect the power amp ( using power direct button ) and connect the pre amp output to the RCA input on the sub. Then connect the sub RCA output to the power amp. However this means you have a long coaxial cable from the sub back to the power amp and you might want to avoid that to avoid possible signal degradation.

Second ( better) alternative is to buy two Y RCA connectors ( one plug with two sockets on each) from the market. Set the amp to disconnect the power and pre section as mentioned above.Plug the Y connector into the Marantz preamp output. Connect one socket with a short RCA cable ( maybe less than a foot long ?) to the power amp input and connect the other socket to the sub RCA input. Repeat with the other channel. ( sub RCA output is left unconnected !)

Last option ( already explained in an earlier post) which is the poorest is to connect the sub to the B speaker sockets on the amp. Use A for the main speakers. Set the speaker selector to A+B .

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back