How to connect laptop, iPad, mobile phone to internet via USB dongle?

You need a modem/gateway to connect to internet.
Are you going to use your mobile phone as the modem?
In this case you need to activate GPRS/EDGE/3G/4G on your phone and connect the phone to your laptop. And run the program which connects to internet (like Nokia has Nokia suite, Sony has PC companion)

In case you prefer using external dedicated data connection, you can get the USB dongle with Airtel/Tata/Reliance/Idea etc connection. You plug this into your PC via USB and run the program to connect to internet.

You need a modem/gateway to connect to internet.
Are you going to use your mobile phone as the modem?
In this case you need to activate GPRS/EDGE/3G/4G on your phone and connect the phone to your laptop. And run the program which connects to internet (like Nokia has Nokia suite, Sony has PC companion)

In case you prefer using external dedicated data connection, you can get the USB dongle with Airtel/Tata/Reliance/Idea etc connection. You plug this into your PC via USB and run the program to connect to internet.

Have 3g dongle.

I connect to laptop.

Now how to connect iPad 4 to get internet connectivity?

Is there a device like a 4 pin plug from which I can take 4 connections?

Wont be using phone as modem.

Please suggest.

Have 3g dongle.

I connect to laptop.

Now how to connect iPad 4 to get internet connectivity?

Is there a device like a 4 pin plug from which I can take 4 connections?

Wont be using phone as modem.

Please suggest.

You can get 3G WiFi routers to do this. Available for around 2K INR.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

As Arun said you will need need a 3G Wi-Fi Router to share the connection with other devices. You will have to plug in your 3G dongle into the router and then after configuring the connection with your laptop you can share the connection with other devices.

There are also portable 3G Wi-Fi devices and dongles in the market now and most companies like TATA DOCOMO and reliance provide these, there are also models with rechargeable battery backup and you can connect up to 5 devices at the same time. Look for TATA Photon Wi-Fi hub or Reliance netconnect Wi-Fi router and you will get an idea about these. Your 3G dongle provider should also be having one.

Or if you do not want to spend on new hardware then you can use your Laptop as a Wi-fi router. You can use softwares like mHotspot , Marify, Virtual router in your laptop to share the connection with other devices through Wi-Fi.

Or if you do not want to spend on new hardware then you can use your Laptop as a Wi-fi router. You can use softwares like mHotspot , Marify, Virtual router in your laptop to share the connection with other devices through Wi-Fi.

This should not remain limited to the laptop alone, in fact if the cell phone support wifi tethering then also this can be leveraged by just activating 3G on the sim. Similarly iPad3 onwards have built in Personal Hotspot capability to tether the internet of the sim inside it.

Use the virtual hotspot feature available in Windows 7 and Windows 8 to share your internet. You don't need any dedicated software or additional hardware for this. First enable wifi on your laptop. Copy paste the following code to notepad and save it as a StartHotspot.bat file.

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MyHotspot key=12345678 keyUsage=persistent
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Here MyHotspot is the name of the virtual hotspot you are creating and 12345678 is the password. Change them accordingly.

To stop the hotspot use the following command in another bat file.

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

Right click the network icon in the system notification area and open the network and sharing center > Change adapter settings. In the usb dongle adapter properties, enable sharing and select the virtual wifi adapter for sharing.

I'm using this method to share internet between my laptop and desktop and found to be much better than software tools.

You can use you laptop to creat a hotspot otherwise you can purchase a wifi router for around 1600 bucks onwards to which you can insert the dongle and use the iPad over wifi.

This should not remain limited to the laptop alone, in fact if the cell phone support wifi tethering then also this can be leveraged by just activating 3G on the sim. Similarly iPad3 onwards have built in Personal Hotspot capability to tether the internet of the sim inside it.

I need help from you.

You had suggested to buy 3g dongle wifi router.

I have enquired even at airtel office, they do not have simcard routers.

I just have 3g dongle of airtel.

can you please suggest one brand of router which should not be portable one, like the micromax wifi router, but a stationary one, to be used at home, to which I can connect laptop, ipad, phone.

I do not have a modem.

Waiting for you to reply.

D-link

DWR-113 3G WI-FI ROUTER

This one has one usb port, so there me have to put the 3g dongle, but question is will I be able to collect laptop, ipad, iphone through wifi?

does this fit in the requirement?

Please tell.

The links you posted appear to be regular modem+routers. You will not be able to connect your 3G datacard/dongle to them.

Did you try the option of starting Wifi hotspot on your laptop yet, as other posters suggested? It would be the simplest option, with no additional investment.

Hi gudu, I did not notice the posts on this thread while replying to your pms. Nevertheless I hope you are decided now on what to buy. Just be aware of the reviews and the compatibility of your airtel 3g dongle with your router. Hope the wifi coverage area is not large

D-link

DWR-113 3G WI-FI ROUTER

This one has one usb port, so there me have to put the 3g dongle, but question is will I be able to collect laptop, ipad, iphone through wifi?

does this fit in the requirement?

Please tell.
I have the exact same router and using it with my Mtnl 3G USB dongle. It should work with airtel too. I won't recommend it though. This router is a piece of crap IMO. It's barely 12 months old and wifi antenna has already stopped working. Only getting less than 10 feet of wifi range now. Even before that I've had so many connection issues with this. Had to physically reboot it every couple of hours as it simply stops working. My experience with Netgear routers has been much more positive in comparison.

Hi gudu, I did not notice the posts on this thread while replying to your pms. Nevertheless I hope you are decided now on what to buy. Just be aware of the reviews and the compatibility of your airtel 3g dongle with your router. Hope the wifi coverage area is not large

hi sir..

Now I had brought today one router, visontek router.

Had called the techie also to install.

He tried so many times with my airtel 3g, it was showing network, but not giving internet signal. ie not able to access internet.

Then he told that this airtel 3g dongle is not supported with this router.

So you have to buy a universal dongle.

I said ok.

now he put this airtel 3g card into that universal dongle.

Even then the problem is the same.

Meanwhiie I had called up airtel ppl, they told it is an open connection card and it should connect.

Dont know what all the techie tried. but ultimately told, that I go for a landline connection and then buy a router.

In this post frm prvious page...

baijuxavior had suggested this

http://www.hifivision.com/what-shou...phone-internet-via-usb-dongle.html#post478765

Now I really dont know how to go about it.

using laptop for connecting ipad, iphone.

Could anybody explain how to do it?

In abeyance for reply.

^^ Connect your 3G dongle to Windows7 or 8 laptop and access internet. Then use the method I described earlier to share this internet connection through laptop wifi. Your other devices will see this virtual hotspot you created and can they use the internet connection.

^^ Connect your 3G dongle to Windows7 or 8 laptop and access internet. Then use the method I described earlier to share this internet connection through laptop wifi. Your other devices will see this virtual hotspot you created and can they use the internet connection.

When I used the above method for my android 2.3 phone, it showed the network is available but got stuck at 'obtaining IP address'.

I am using Tata Docomo Photon+ dongle on my laptop. Please suggest.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back