how to connect spdif on laptop to sony 5.1 system?

vix41085

i hv acer aspire 5745 laptop which has spdif out(3.5mm heaphone jack) and sony 5.1 dvd home theatre system which has digital in like coax and optical.
my main purpose is how to get digital sound quality on my sony system from laptop.which cable i needed?

Last edited:
You need coaxial cable say profigold to connect spdf of Laptop to that of Sony Htib.
You need to select spdf out from player & select accordingly in HTiB.

Use a regular 3.5mm headphone jack <-> rca cable. One of the rca pair will have the spdif output. These cables are quite cheap and you might have one lying around. You connect to the Coax/Digital input on the Sony system.

Once you have got digital audio working, you can set up your media playing apps to output dts and dolby ac3 streams through the digital spdif link to your sony system.

-- nol1ives4ever

Last edited:
SPDIF in sense laptops usually have optical output only. No co-axial out put
I use QED optical digital cable with a toslink to 3.5mm adapter to connect my laptop to DAC.

You would need something like this cable toslink to 3.5mm digital optical fiber cable to connect the laptop to AV receiver.

I use foobar2000 to play flacs from my laptop. I just choose SPDIF Interface in the output devices on foobar2000.

I would recommend you please follow the below thread on HFV to get the best out of the set-up.
http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/16866-will-dac-improve-my-stereo-sound.html

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back