How to deal safely Online?

spirovious

Hi friends,

I have seen may of members are ordering products online.
So how to do that safe?What precautions one should do?
i.e.
1.Mode of payment?(creditcard/pay pal)
2.Safty from Hackers?
3.Is there any other way to pay at the same time of Delivery of product?

Even dealing with forum members(buying preused etc),how to manage payment?If we pay there bank acount directly,what will the proof/receipt that we paid that person for getting perticular product?

So pls reply.

Last edited:
I think Pay pal is safer than Credit card provided one takes following pre cautions:

1> Open a new saving account in a reputed bank.
2> The Bank selected should be in e-banking rig as well as be in a position to handle trisections in foreign currency. Some small co-operative banks are still not in 'On Line' banking.
3> Maintain a bare minimum balance in this newly created bank account.
4> Now link this bank account to your Pay Pal account. If you have linked your other (main) bank account with Pay Pal then de-link it.

Now in case of any fraud or sort of thing , you will loose only the bare minimum balance kept at that bank account. If you want to transact for bigger account, first deposit the required money into that account and then complete the transaction.

Credit card also can be used, for that get a new credit card of Master Card type (which is by default International) and ask the Credit card issuing institute (bank in most of the cases) to fix a credit limit to a bare minimum (which is the maximum loss you can bear in case of any fraud) also issue a standing instruction to the Credit card Institute Not to allow any charge that is more than Credit Limit (no over drafts)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks,

May things got cleared.

some more inputs further to suhasgji's suggestions above....

install a good internet security solution on the PC/Laptop you intend to do the on-line transactions from, that safeguards your private information from pilferage/hackers, like the McAfee Internet Security Suite, Norton 360 or Kaspersky Internet Security Suite (try and avoid any free tools whose credentials are not known, lots of these on the net, that actually leak private information or spy on your internet usage, etc.). try and use an eToken for storage of transaction credentials, usernames/passwords, digital signatures, etc. avoid transactions from PCs/Laptops that aren't yours/public/shared. avoid cyber-cafes for transactions.

ensure that your security solution is updated with the latest engines, definitions, etc. also, ensure that your OS, appl/browser, etc., are also running the latest patches/service packs.

check your monthly statement and immediately report anything abnormal. take an endorsement of receipt of the report from the bank/CC company. fraudulent transactions are eventually reversed, after investigation. however, you MAY need to pay up first and get the refund eventually. so suhasgji's suggestion on the amount to be left in the account or the credit card limit are good.

most banks and credit card companies already have a lot of preventive or proactive protection mechanisms in place to avoid fraud and safeguard the interests of their clients. i will not enumerate these here again as this was done in another thread. i'm 'advised' xpostings are avoidable.

transact to the extent possible only with on-line entities that carry the VeriSign or any similar trust and authenticity certificates. also, try and transact with a site that uses SSL for transactions, check the certificate (small lock on the bottom left corner of the browser) for larger transactions to avoid MIM threats.

when dealing with someone in india for pre-owned stuff, try and maintain a paper transaction reference with relevant endorsements from the transacting parties. eMail is admissible, in the instance you need to take it up legally, but difficult to actually use. for e.g., place a formal purchase order, with whatever are the terms of reference for the transaction, get a receipted copy for your record. try and maintain courier slips, PoDs, etc. try and pay only after the paper/s are in place. pl. note, the legal option is mostly impractical, owing to jurisdiction limits, costs, etc., involved, so being safe and meticulous in documentation goes a long way in safeguarding. shortcuts are risky. transacting through a bank is fairly safe, say vide a cheque, provided the basis of the transaction exists on hard-copy.

there are options to pay on delivery, viz., like an LC (letter of credit), etc. however, this MAY only be relevant when you are making large transactions. however, to buy a CD/LP online, this may not be practical.

Last edited:
Get a separate CC for online only transactions. Don't mix your day to day transaction with this.

Keep the limit fixed (may have to speak to bank since they increase it automatically sometimes).

If you ahve an option to pay wiht paypal - simply do it.

Dont deal with sites which don't have approval by companies such as verisign. These could end up being fraudulent.

No cheques/money order at all even if the person seems genuine. Other factors may jeopardise including postal system etc.

Don't use PC in public locations like Net Parlours. Use home or friend's PC.

Don't save CC number/password on Windows ever. The small effort to type in these things will save you big time in case you get hacked.

Always note down the transaction number because sometimes there is no email confirmation. I usually take a screen print.
After all these check your monthly bill to make sure there are no unauthorised charges.

Last edited:
Thans to you,only one thing,

If I m paying cash,depositing in other party's Bank acount(many times this opt. chosen for dealing in India)do bank give special receipt stating I paid so&so person?

If I m paying cash,depositing in other party's Bank acount(many times this opt. chosen for dealing in India)do bank give special receipt stating I paid so&so person?

Bank will give you receipt confirmation as this is considered an inter bank transfer. Key is there is no protection if the other party does not provide you the goods you paid for.

when you say, you are paying cash, if you mean paying into an account by going physically to the other persons's bank (either in the same city or in another city via CBS), you would get a pay-in slip stub with the recipient's details endorsed by the bank.

however, if you are paying via internet banking, you would have a transaction record that would also have the recipient's details.

in both cases, as i had suggested earlier, it would be nice to have a document, like say a purchase order, with the details of the transaction, prior to making the payment, as a minimum safeguard against the recipient not delivering the product that was thus paid for. if this is not possible or there, eMail communication, if present, could also be useful.

Last edited:
How safe is fund transfer by e cheque facility. is that safe.

The funds transfer is itself safe but the business transaction is not. Typically you should use some sort of escrow service (which is what paypal provides) for proving the legality of a transaction.

in any pre-payment case, like CC, eCheque, on-line transfer, RTGS, EFT, manual cash pay-in at counter, cheque, DD, etc., a document trail is always good to precede with.

all bank transactions (all of the above modes) have a trail and can be important in case of fraud.

the worst option could be cash/hawala advance and no precedent/subsequent document/delivery.

in any post-payment case, like escrow, LC, VPP, etc., a document trail would still be good. however, these options MAY not be practical in small txn cases.

Guru's just needed some advice.
I plan to order something of ebay.com note not ebay.in .... Doesnt cost much around $30.

What is the best option of payment ....
Should i make a paypal account with a international/indian credit card ?

I also have a ICICI bank account/debit card...... Can i use this in someway ?

Let me know
thanks

I plan to order something of ebay.com note not ebay.in .... Doesnt cost much around $30.

Let me know
thanks

Though not a guru by any standards, still my two bits.

The easiest/fastest way would be using an international credit card (i have used this option often with no regrets). if you are not keen on doing this, go the PayPal route, though longer (for a single txn., i.e.) procedurally.

The option of using a debit card would need to be explored on the site, depending on affiliations and allowance.

Some sites also allow a CC authorisation option, but this is rare.

Trust these have been useful.

Let me know
thanks

Audiodelic,

PayPal is a good option. You can even set the limit on a card via PayPal so that anything over the amount you have chosen will not be accepted. I have used credit cards too previously but not since using PayPal as its as good and accepted everywhere and safer too since you don't have to give your card details at all.

OK, I guess i will make a paypal account then sounds better since i do use ebay.com every now and then.
Queries :-

So i can make a paypal account with a Indian credit card or do i need to use international credit card ?

Does the billing address on the credit card have to be same as my shipping address ? Since the billing address would be office address and shipping would be to my house

My cards have a high limit since its from my company so i hope disclosing it in paypal is safe/secure ?

Well i have a pay pal account , my card limit is around 80k, i have never faced any issues with paypal, once u create a account they will charge 1.95$ to verify, which will be reimbursed once your account is active, activation of account usually takes 15 to 20 days, as once u get ur credit card statement it will contain a code which u need to fill on the pay pal site to activate your card

Well i have a pay pal account , my card limit is around 80k, i have never faced any issues with paypal, once u create a account they will charge 1.95$ to verify, which will be reimbursed once your account is active, activation of account usually takes 15 to 20 days, as once u get ur credit card statement it will contain a code which u need to fill on the pay pal site to activate your card

Nice info thanks...
So the process is ...
I go to paypal.com and register my credit card.
They charge me $1.95 and in my next billing statement i receive a code. Once i receive this code i log into paypal.com with my account and activate my paypal account.

YOu can use a debit card with your paypal I think. Been a while since I setup my paypal.

Let me know
thanks

Which Indian Creditcard is accepted internationally without any problem OR extra cost?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back