How to get audio through HDMI port of Graphics card?

AMITNOIDA

I have recently upgraded my graphics card of my Desktop PC to MSI R5770 Hawk with HDMI port. I have also Asus Xonar Essence (2.0 channel) audio card already installed in my PC.

After installing the graphics card, when I connected my Panasonic 42V20D plasma through the gfx card's HDMI port, the video signal is received but without any audio.

Somehow, I managed by connecting the 2.0 channel audio card analogue out to my Marantz AVR and listened audio through it.

Can anybody help me in making understand me how I can send the audio also through graphics card HDMI out port?

Try right clicking the sound icon in the system tray, selecting the 'Playback Devices' and setting the HDMI out as default rather than the Xonar output.

I have recently upgraded my graphics card of my Desktop PC to MSI R5770 Hawk with HDMI port. I have also Asus Xonar Essence (2.0 channel) audio card already installed in my PC.

After installing the graphics card, when I connected my Panasonic 42V20D plasma through the gfx card's HDMI port, the video signal is received but without any audio.

Somehow, I managed by connecting the 2.0 channel audio card analogue out to my Marantz AVR and listened audio through it.

Can anybody help me in making understand me how I can send the audio also through graphics card HDMI out port?

Your sound card needs to have a spdif out header & also your graphics card should have spdif in header. This way you can connect a 2 pin cable from sound card to graphics card. Then you can select the audio to spdif & the audio+video signals will be sent from your pc to to your avr/tv

If your sound card doesnot have the spdif out header, check if your mother board has it. In any case your graphics card must have spdif in.

Your sound card needs to have a spdif out header & also your graphics card should have spdif in header. This way you can connect a 2 pin cable from sound card to graphics card. Then you can select the audio to spdif & the audio+video signals will be sent from your pc to to your avr/tv

If your sound card doesnot have the spdif out header, check if your mother board has it. In any case your graphics card must have spdif in.

I think the series from Radeon 5xxx upwards can directly bitstream upto 8 channel audio via HDMI without any sort of spdif ins like u mentioned bro....i might be wrong though.

hi,

in that case the graphics card should have an inbuilt soundcard & it can be eanbled by installing the hdmi audio driver of the graphics card. I have a old xfx nvidia 9400gt & asus board & i have done a physical connection as mentioned above & the audio+video is sent to my lcd tv.

Try right clicking the sound icon in the system tray, selecting the 'Playback Devices' and setting the HDMI out as default rather than the Xonar output.

Thanks Imrahn. The problem is solved following your direction.

hi,

thats cool. I think the sound is output by the graphcis card's inbuilt soundcard but not the asus xonar card???

^yup mate, its actually bitstreaming.So,graphic cards today with hdmi can replace a sound card if u have an AVR with HDMI IN.

Inrahn, I am getting both audio and video now through HDMI, which is connected from my PC to my Marantz AVR. My Panasonic Plasma is connected with AVR through another HDMI cable.

But, when I am trying to listen only music through my AVR (keeping my Plasma off), the sound is not coming through Computer graphics card HDMI. But as soon as the Plasma is swiched on, the AVR receives audio.

Any clue, how to resolve this problem?

^^am not sure about that bro....i dont have an HDMI g-card to test it out.Maybe u should ask member Sam9s who is using a Radeon card to route both audio and video to his Onkyo HTiB and was very much satisfied last time i checked.

Also,u get sound from the separate speakers and not the TV ones, right?And hope u have not connected the Optical Out from TV to the HTiB. Try checking the Sound options in TV to make sure Sound Output is selected as "Others" or similar.

Graphics card-->HDMI cable--> AVR-->HDMI cable-->TV

Hope this is the setup u have done.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. The connection is now

Graphics card ---> HDMI ---> AVR ---> HDMI ---> TV

The speaker I use is separate speakers connected to AVR (not the TV speaker). From TV I have not connected any optical out to AVR (I don't have any HTib, I use an AVR connected with a pair of book shelf speakers).

^^HTiB is also AVR + speakers though the speakers would be satellites rather than separates.Did u PM Sam regarding the problem of audio cutting out with TV??

When i had PS3, i had connected it to my AVR via HDMI and even when the TV was turned off, there was no interruption at all with the audio playback.It was with my Yamaha AVR.So,some setting in ur AVR or the Radeon Control Panel should be the culprit.

But, when I am trying to listen only music through my AVR (keeping my Plasma off), the sound is not coming through Computer graphics card HDMI. But as soon as the Plasma is swiched on, the AVR receives audio.

Any clue, how to resolve this problem?

How are you seeing the display to decide which Song to select from the PC, when the plasma is off ??

I believe as soon as you turn the Plasma Off the Graphics card doesn't detect a Display and hence stops the siginal...I could be wrong though.

Note: The Xonar is much better than the graphics cards sound card, so I would recommend you connect that to the AMP directly and use it that way.

You will have better quality of sound as the problem mentioned above will be resolved.

Hi Amit,

First of all the audio wont be bitstream if you will connect your AVR with PC HDMI. You can check it by playing any DTS track and you wont find the DTS logo on ur AVR. The only option i have figured out is by installing ffdshow audio decoder which actually bitstreams DTS, DTS-MA, DD, DD-THD.
2nd thing is, install the realtek audio driver for ATi HDMI. Because i suppose you are using win 7 and it will use its built in 2.0 codec. Once you install Realtek drivers you can see the options of DTS-MA, DD-THD in ur sound control panel. And after this you can switch off ur Plasma and still listen to your music.

Best of luck.. :)

hi can anyone tell me where to get a internal spdif to graphics card connector? my motherboard has an spdif out header and my graphics card has the input header and an hdmi port

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back