How to Setup, Tune or Calibrate an LCD TV?

bhuvanmisra

i haven't got an opportunity to play around with my new lcd tv yet. plan to get my hands dirty tonight.

wanted to know if there are any "generic" suggested best practice or steps that one could perform. any pitfalls or complete no-no's from the perspective of a new lcd tv?

maybe there is no such concept of tone or calibrate an lcd tv, however just wanted to make sure i'm not missing the obvious!

What is your TV's make and model? Those details would help to provide any information on tweaking & calibration.

Professional LCD calibration needs proper tools & equipment. If your LCD is a popular brand & model you could find most recommended settings on the net.

Panasonic VIERA TX-32LX800C is the model i have. appreciate any pointers.

That is a sweet TV, congratulations.

Panasonic Plasmas are more popular than LCDs, hence you don't find as much information on Panny LCDs. The trick is to search for US or UK equivalent models. I looked for the US model LX85 on avsforum.com and found some information. Maybe it will help get you started...

Panasonic Viera TC-32LX85 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

Also have a look at the settings for the next up model LZ800...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14146844#post14146844

You could also get a calibration disc (like Digital Video Essentials) and do it yourself at home. If you want to get really technical, then you could get a LCD calibrator like Spyder Pro, hook up the LCD to your PC and really fine-tune it.

Cheers
Teja

Hello Bhuvan

Buy the Titanic original DVD . There is 3 Dvds in the pack. the first disc has got the THX optimisers which will help you to calibrate your audio and video . It works really fine.

regards
Dev.

hey bass treble, the THX optimizers are generally "keyed" to the movie along with which it is supplied, so it may not be a permanent solution....

Hello Bhuvan

Buy the Titanic original DVD . There is 3 Dvds in the pack. the first disc has got the THX optimisers which will help you to calibrate your audio and video . It works really fine.

regards
Dev.

i haven't got an opportunity to play around with my new lcd tv yet. plan to get my hands dirty tonight.

wanted to know if there are any "generic" suggested best practice or steps that one could perform. any pitfalls or complete no-no's from the perspective of a new lcd tv?

maybe there is no such concept of tone or calibrate an lcd tv, however just wanted to make sure i'm not missing the obvious!

Hi bhuvan

Best is to use calibration disc, which will help and guide you in setting up the same -
My recommendation will be to try one of the 2 options below -

Avia guide to home theatre - Latest Edition is Avia II - 2008
Avia 2: Guide to Home Theater

Second one is -

Digital video essentials

Get one of the two and calibrate your tv with the same ...

Where can we buy these calibration discs, especially in Mumbai?

Lifewater: I am interested in the THX demo disc. How can I get it? Please PM me if needed

I have recently bought a Samsung L22A450 LCD.

Can you also let me know the procedures for calibrating the same?

The product came in to my house, i DIY on setting up (The demo guy yet to turn up). Just assembled the stand, and plugged in the cable and i suppose now watching with the default factory settings.

Some specs of my LCD - 5000:1 contrast radio, HD ready, HDMI, PC connection (one audio and a serail port), component IN/out to name a few.
I had gone through the user manual, but no much information.

Also looking to play movies through the laptop on to the LCD (through PC connection - but only serial port). My laptop does not have serial port.

Looking to calibrate to enjoy the images better. My room size 200sqft.

Any suggestions, please!

thanks

Check out this site for some excellent guidance for calibrating your LCD video output --> LCD monitor test images

You can download the test images, and display them on the LCD through USB or PictureCD and follow the instructions on the site. This will get your LCD very close to its optimum performance. IMHO, this is just as good as a calibration disc - of course a calibration disc also has audio tuning.

One important thing to remember, LCD (or any video display) calibration is very sensitive to the ambient light. So if you calibrate it in a brightly lit room, it will look out of whack in a dark room and vice-versa. This is why HomeTheater addicts and videophiles recommend a room with controlled lighting so that the ambient light remains the same at all times.

If you are like most of us and do not have a dedicated room for TV viewing, then I suggest you calibrate the TV twice and store the two settings separately. One for the times when the room is bright (day-time) and one when the room is relatively dark (evenings).

Cheers
Teja

Check out this site for some excellent guidance for calibrating your LCD video output --> LCD monitor test images

You can download the test images, and display them on the LCD through USB or PictureCD and follow the instructions on the site. This will get your LCD very close to its optimum performance. IMHO, this is just as good as a calibration disc - of course a calibration disc also has audio tuning.

One important thing to remember, LCD (or any video display) calibration is very sensitive to the ambient light. So if you calibrate it in a brightly lit room, it will look out of whack in a dark room and vice-versa. This is why HomeTheater addicts and videophiles recommend a room with controlled lighting so that the ambient light remains the same at all times.

If you are like most of us and do not have a dedicated room for TV viewing, then I suggest you calibrate the TV twice and store the two settings separately. One for the times when the room is bright (day-time) and one when the room is relatively dark (evenings).

Cheers
Teja

Teja, thats a great find! Anyone can do this pretty quickly, especially if they have a TV with SD card or USB slot. I do not have a HT audio setup, so these images should be more than sufficient.

Where can we buy these calibration discs, especially in Mumbai?

Lifewater: I am interested in the THX demo disc. How can I get it? Please PM me if needed

Anand,

You can d/l the THX Demo DVD on most torrent portals. Just Google it or you can start with this...

Code:
http://www.google.com/search?q=thx+demo+dvd+torrent&hl=en&sourceid=gd&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2008-35,GGLD:en&aq=t

Lifewater,

What demo disc do you have? If you don't mind, maybe you can PM me the links too.

Here friends is a rapidshare link for the latest AVIA II calibration DVD. I have checked the links today morning itself and are active.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
» RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Download these files and use WinRAr to join them. PM me in case of any difficulty.

I also have a THX DEMO disk that you will not be able to buy anywhere. This disk is for exclusive use of THX certified installers. Let me know if you want them.

Ciao

Lifewater

Thanks lifewater for the links
Can you also please provide links to the THX DEMO disk?!

Thanks
Churfsan

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back