How to "warm up" the solid state sound?

Gsomin

I have a Luxman 507z / Sonus Faber Olympica III, which sounds great but is a bit too bright for me. I am considering there options (below). What do you all think?

#1. Buy tube power amp (e.g. McIntosh 275) Use Luxman preamp stage, and tube for the power amp stage. Might improve the "warmth of the sound", but will likely have less power / punch.
#2. But tube pre-amp, and use Luxman for the power amplification. Unclear if this will have enough impact on the warmth of the sound, but will maintain SS power.
#3. The only way to get "warm" sound is to fully replace Luxman with the tube pre-amp / amp.

What do people think?

I have a Luxman 507z / Sonus Faber Olympica III, which sounds great but is a bit too bright for me. I am considering there options (below). What do you all think?

#1. Buy tube power amp (e.g. McIntosh 275) Use Luxman preamp stage, and tube for the power amp stage. Might improve the "warmth of the sound", but will likely have less power / punch.
#2. But tube pre-amp, and use Luxman for the power amplification. Unclear if this will have enough impact on the warmth of the sound, but will maintain SS power.
#3. The only way to get "warm" sound is to fully replace Luxman with the tube pre-amp / amp.

What do people think?
What's your source ? My guess that's your.culprit.
I doubt if it's your speaker or amp..

Last edited:
Like other mentioned please try different sources, to see if any harshness coming from there. If your speakers are new give it some time to break in.

Just adding tube pre/power does not necessarily add warmth that you are looking. You have to carefully choose the tube amp that brings the tubey character. Off late used many tube pre/power which are as neutral as it can get.

Alternatively you can try amps that homogenize whole sound :) I was using Mcintosh MA252 no matter what i change in the chain I was getting that smooth, warm, nice mid-forward sound

I primarily use two sources:
1. bluesound NODE for Tidal MQA streaming
2. rega Planar 6 for vinyl
Then there is definitely some other issue as both of the above are not bright.
Some more Qs
Do you have glass on the sides or behind the speakers ?
Do you have a carpet between you and your speakers
Sharpness can either be due to accentuating high frequency by the room or cutting off of frequencies in the upper mid range as well. So curious on that.

Both - your Luxman & SF are impecable... Never yield harsh sound.

As many have pointed out its probably your room or source.

A Zero Cost Quick Fix could be to toe-out your speakers so they are Not pointed directly at your ears.

Align the speakers to point almost parallel to the side walls. Besides reducing the treble, the speaker toe-out will also give you a wider & deeper sound stage.

I think it is the speaker positioning and the key acoustic touch points in your listening environment. Especially your primary reflection points. Can you upload a picture of your system ?

Thanks all! I will definitely try to toe-out the speakers in case this helps.

I also think that my perception of the sound maybe coming from the prior bias- I used to have MA6900 McIntosh instead of thr Luxman and possibly have gotten used to McIntosh sound.

I also think that my perception of the sound maybe coming from the prior bias- I used to have MA6900 McIntosh instead of thr Luxman and possibly have gotten used to McIntosh sound.
Yes that's a wrong bias you might have developed ! McIntosh makes a syrupy sound and Some of their SS amps also have voiced output transformers to make it.
Rich sound and syrupy sound are 2 different things completely.

Try listening to a well recorded sitar..if you cannot hear the metal string twang , your sound has gone mushy.
Or a bansuri..on a good system you will hear all the layers from the high to the low swoosh of bass

Last edited:
Yes, my McIntosh had output transformers. Are you implying they were making the syrup? I am also looking for an excuse to buy/try MC-275.

Also, this is a great advice. What are some of the best recordings of sitar or bansuri?

Yes, my McIntosh had output transformers. Are you implying they were making the syrup? I am also looking for an excuse to buy/try MC-275.

Also, this is a great advice. What are some of the best recordings of sitar or bansuri?
Take any album by ravi shankar/ Chaurasia or even Shiv Kumar Sharma for Santoor.
Yeah that's what sold as "house sound"

The new 275s are also similar. My suggestion would be to fix the problem using your current setup and then upgrade so that it's calibrated

So many people upgrade to fix the sound ( ie if there is one )whose root cause was something else and that's just a waste .

Cant recommend strongly enough to go and visit as many good ( of the same price bracket as yours) stereo setups as possible, even Before taking corrective action or any purchase decision. Do try and listen to Atleast 5 different setups in homes and dealer show rooms...

Maybe there is a local HiFi listener's club ? There are several in the USA... Google should be helpful.

Enjoy the hobby even before putting your money down. :)

Both - your Luxman & SF are impecable... Never yield harsh sound.

As many have pointed out its probably your room or source.

A Zero Cost Quick Fix could be to toe-out your speakers so they are Not pointed directly at your ears.

Align the speakers to point almost parallel to the side walls. Besides reducing the treble, the speaker toe-out will also give you a wider & deeper sound stage.
In fact mine point slightly away from each other. I think that is abnormal, but works fine for me, and is another option before throwing in the towel.

In fact mine point slightly away from each other. I think that is abnormal, but works fine for me, and is another option before throwing in the towel.
i remember this being done by someone else as well to get the right sound and kudos in getting it right !
I prefer firing them straight ahead with no toe in. in the end its taking into effect the dispersion characteristic of the drivers.

Try any double bass . Ray brown trio is something i like and the strings should have the tension as well as you should be able to hear the pluck of each string including the twang..
Bass guitar as well.

Last edited:

What do people think?
Your room probably, too much reflections on highs makes it bright. Probably adding some cheap pyramid foam alone would tame the highs. For the bass it won’t do anything, but guess you have no problem there

What do people think?

Your post reminded me of the infamous "Caver Challenge" where Bob Carver modified one of his mid-priced SS amps to sound like a hi-end tube amp. It's an interesting story and an entertaining read:

After winning the challenge, Carver started marketing a line of "TFM" (transfer function modified) SS amps, which were advertised as sounding just like the mega-buck tube amp from the Carver Challenge (a Conrad Johnson Premier Five). It was a slick marketing move, and rather a thumb in the eye to the hi-end amp brands of the time.

But unlike Carver's SS challenge amp which required extensive mods to sound tube-like, the TFM amps merely had a series resistor added between the output stage and one speaker terminal on each channel.

I own several TFM amps and I like them but I wouldn't say they sound like tube amps.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back