HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Here are a few things worth the try:
Add sound dampners from inside / outside the cabinet.
Instead of air cooling go for either passive cooler (noctua etc) or liquid AIO cooling. I would avoid liquid cooling though. If the fan noise is from power supply, get a bigger wattage rated SMPS.
Edit: typo
Thank you.
Will try dampening and the cooling option.
I don't think it is the power supply. It comes on only with heavy CPU usage.
Regards

But the windows rattle in low rumble scenes even when the curtain is fully draped...
Hi,
Tried a lot of things, including everything suggested by all FMs.
But I think the problem is with the window and the panes...
And a particular band of frequency that has escaped room correction...

The room has quietened with measures, but the window does resonate. :(

Earlier tonight, played Hector Zazou and Swara*, (recorded in Mumbai; available on Youtube as a playlist) and while it is a lovely listen on these speakers, I think the problem is just with loose stuff in the room.

Not gonna try anything right now, but I think I will have to plan some solid window solutions in the next place...

PS:
The REL's been magic!
I always found it alluring when FMs in other threads sought Chest Thumping bass. I thought that was unachievable outside of perfect conditions and room.

But this fellow -- while making me understand what chest thumping bass is for movies and a certain kind of music -- is providing whole-body bass with string instruments :D

Last edited:
But this fellow -- while making me understand what chest thumping bass is for movies and a certain kind of music -- is providing whole-body bass with string instruments :D

That was the first thing I also noticed about the Rel Ht that it adds a nice weight to the accoustic strings for music. That HT prefix in it's case is actually a misnomer & it does both HT & music duties very well.

That was the first thing I also noticed about the Rel Ht that it adds a nice weight to the accoustic strings for music. That HT prefix in it's case is actually a misnomer & it does both HT & music duties very well.
Truly, this has got to be experienced to be believed!

To be honest, I didn't have any expectations beyond doing movie LFEs well.
But this has been a revelation.

@RajithKumar @sl4y3r @ankitbhargava
Brothers,
Might soon have to take a call on pre-wiring the room.
For Atmos, am thinking of a workable 7.2.4.
Just in case I get greedy and wanna try Auro at a latter time, what's the basic I should pre-wire the room for?

for quick reference:
Room: Bare is 12L x 10W x11H.
Will have to do some kind of soundproofing for at least one wall and drop the ceiling (primarily for lighting), and allow space for mounting the TV and LCRs, which should bring it down to: 11.5L x 9.5W x 8H.

Just in case I get greedy and wanna try Auro at a latter time, what's the basic I should pre-wire the room for?

Rajith has an Auro setup, so he's better positioned to answer, but my understanding is that it has a VOG (the physical equivalent of a center directly overhead, IIRC). Given DSU's (upcoming?) support for front wides, I'd seriously considering pre-wiring for those too.

Rajith has an Auro setup, so he's better positioned to answer, but my understanding is that it has a VOG (the physical equivalent of a center directly overhead, IIRC). Given DSU's (upcoming?) support for front wides, I'd seriously considering pre-wiring for those too.
Of course.
But there must be a basic meeting of the twain somewhere.
TBH, I wanna make my room future-proof before anything else. And backend comes first. Equipment, I think I can work around with.
I am wondering if there is a sweet spot among formats for a small room - switchable at a future date with a better AVR?

You all checked this out?:

Front Height and Rear Height layout supports all three formats. Front height speakers above the front speakers and rear height speakers above and behind you aligned to the front height speakers. All 4 Height speakers at an angle of 30 degrees.

I tried a few other layouts but those did not work for both Auro 3D and Atmos. DTX works with any layout. Your could also make a provision for the Voice of God channel.

My Marantz 7010 has all three options. Auro 3D, Atmos and DTS-X. These days, I mostly use the Auro - 3D.

Last edited:
Brothers,

for quick reference:
Will have to do some kind of soundproofing for at least one wall and drop the ceiling (primarily for lighting), and allow space for mounting the TV and LCRs, which should bring it down to: 11.5L x 9.5W x 8H.
I don't have much experience with Auro but for the .4 Atmos, my personal preference, with my gear, leans towards the AVR config of back n front top height. And since you asked in your other thread about wall mounting Atmos, attached is my back wall (behind MLP) Deftech Promonitor 800s wall mounted and heavily angled to the MLP. So, you could do that, almost equivalent as being ceiling mounted. I tried front height and top middle as Ankit recommended , It sounded nice, but I personally feel it can lead to the Atmos effects mixing with the fronts, unless the scene is such where only heights are active (very very few exist)

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_093609.jpg
    IMG_20211215_093609.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 45
I don't have much experience with Auro but for the .4 Atmos, my personal preference, with my gear, leans towards the AVR config of back n front top height. And since you asked in your other thread about wall mounting Atmos, attached is my back wall (behind MLP) Deftech Promonitor 800s wall mounted
That's a cool pic and set up, chief!
and heavily angled to the MLP.
What degree is heavy?
Will a Dali Alteco work in this same position?

So, you could do that, almost equivalent as being ceiling mounted. I tried front height and top middle as Ankit recommended ,
Like you put these two puppies in front and tried?!

It sounded nice, but I personally feel it can lead to the Atmos effects mixing with the fronts, unless the scene is such where only heights are active (very very few exist)
Yes, that's my biggest worry - sound getting mixed.
In my 3.1, I am loving the spatial effects already. I just hope whatever I do with heights, it doesn't muddle the experience.

PMing you with a bit more questions if you don't mind.
Regards

Brothers,

for quick reference:
If you are planning for Auro3d in combo with Atmos then ,you have to do atleast 5 base channel speakers wiring & 2 front heights & 2 rear heights High on the wall ( 30 degree is recommended for Auro ) .I don't feel you will get these angles based on your room dimensions,please check.
Ceiling speakers for heights may not work for Auro.
VOG speakers will be mounted directly above your main listening position.
If you could do these as per spec ,then all 3d sound formats will work.
Yes you can do the acoustics for front wall & possibly rear wall which will be better.

As said by @liverpool_for_life if you have budget and space try that front wides ,which will serve better planning in between Fronts & surrounds for smaller rooms.

I don't have much experience with Auro but for the .4 Atmos, my personal preference, with my gear, leans towards the AVR config of back n front top height. And since you asked in your other thread about wall mounting Atmos, attached is my back wall (behind MLP) Deftech Promonitor 800s wall mounted and heavily angled to the MLP. So, you could do that, almost equivalent as being ceiling mounted. I tried front height and top middle as Ankit recommended , It sounded nice, but I personally feel it can lead to the Atmos effects mixing with the fronts, unless the scene is such where only heights are active (very very few exist)
Thank you for trying out the Front height and Top Middle format.

Using the "Helicopter" demo of Atmos where only Atmos channels get engaged, I did confirm that the fronts don't get engaged as well to mix up the effect.

A lot is subjective as well when it comes to the non-directional sounds I believe. For example I do like some of the background music being played into Atmos channels for that feeling of envelopment. It also fills up the room better.

At the same time pointed and directional sounds in movies would only do good if they are only played from the right perspective. Like panning from surround left to top middles to the surround right and vice versa. So far this layout has not disappointed me in my room and placements. Even the up-mixed content is delightful.

I have the Pre-Pro on list next to go for 7.2.6 and see how that changes the spatial effects. I can not for 9.2.4 because of space.

That's a cool pic and set up, chief!

What degree is heavy?
Will a Dali Alteco work in this same position?
The Alteco were designed for this, they will work and look better than mine :p, in the same position.
Like you put these two puppies in front and tried?!
Well, no, i did a AVR change to measure how much sound goes to them, putting them up would mean drilling holes, and if they did not sound nice, those holes would look ugly. Not the BEST way to test, I know.
Yes, that's my biggest worry - sound getting mixed.
In my 3.1, I am loving the spatial effects already. I just hope whatever I do with heights, it doesn't muddle the experience.
You could try front heights, as your room is not VERY long, so chances of cross-talk/mixing of sounds is a bit less before it hits you. My room is close to 20feet long so I did not want to risk it. Also, it's my living room, not a dedicated listening room. So perhaps a front height might work better in a dedicated acoustically treated room. My personal reco would be against front heights.
PMing you with a bit more questions if you don't mind.
Anytime!

I have the Pre-Pro on list next to go for 7.2.6 and see how that changes the spatial effects. I can not for 9.2.4 because of space.
Wow, Ankit, that's some serious stuff for a bedroom. Do let us know how that works out for you, all the best :)

Of course.
But there must be a basic meeting of the twain somewhere.
TBH, I wanna make my room future-proof before anything else. And backend comes first. Equipment, I think I can work around with.
I am wondering if there is a sweet spot among formats for a small room - switchable at a future date with a better AVR?

You all checked this out?:
I see more answers already, so I will talk just about cable provisioning:
I've have functional Auro Setup as per their specs (5.1.4 in Dolby lingo) . Front Heights & Rear heights at 30 degrees from MLP are in place instead of tops.
Have provisioned for two top middles which will act as 5.1.6 for Dolby Atmos, and will act as a single VOG channel with a RCA splitter.
Haven't done that part yet, will do that once I get a PA as my AVR is capable for just 9 channel amplification.
Edit: I hardly engage Atmos , it's Auro 3D most of the time. And I think, that sounds better (maybe personal taste /bias)

I see more answers already, so I will talk just about cable provisioning:
I've have functional Auro Setup as per their specs (5.1.4 in Dolby lingo) . Front Heights & Rear heights at 30 degrees from MLP are in place instead of tops.
Have provisioned for two top middles which will act as 5.1.6 for Dolby Atmos, and will act as a single VOG channel with a RCA splitter.
Haven't done that part yet, will do that once I get a PA as my AVR is capable for just 9 channel amplification.
Edit: I hardly engage Atmos , it's Auro 3D most of the time. And I think, that sounds better (maybe personal taste /bias)
Me too use Two VOG via Splitter taken from a sub 2 out .
How will u use the same as 5.1.6 ( Means Top middle as height speakers for Atmos & and the same for VOG to do Auro3d) .
During Atmos playback the VOG will not function.
There is a Manufacturer (AVR ) limitations for processing it.
High-end processors or Denon AV x8500 have this provision of connecting extra speakers ( Top middle - 2 speakers and single VOG) in order to switch the layout between Auro & Atmos.
Please check.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back