HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Audyssey not recognising subwoofer sometimes is a known thing. My friends marantz is not detecting the subwoofer through the app but it works properly with audyssey of avr.

Get carpets or rugs to keep on floor, some reflections and bass can be tamed. Even neighbours can be happy.

What I do after audyssey is open a loudness meter app on phone and check and set levels for all speakers and subwoofer.

All your settings look good, setting up the crossover is own liking and how you get the response in your room. Most of the levels should be in negative, nothing should run hot or positive.

For center channel, check the frequency response correction you set, try changing it. Or maybe this is the right sound which you are not used to :p

Happy that the setup has come along.

Last edited:
Nice to hear that the HT is coming together well in the man cave.
Seems like you have to spend some more time in the "sandbox" playing with settings.
True, Raghu bhai.
Am a slow-coach when it comes to these things... so taking it little by little. But I know it will happen... :)
Do post some pics once the speakers have settled in their final positions.
Will do. As of now, they are still mounted on the room dividers, and I have slid them closer to the TV.
Will try out all positions before slapping them on the wall.
Thank you.

@k-pad When are you planning to go 5.1? You are missing out the full fun.
Haha, not for a few months, bro!
Already kind of overwhelmed and so much to experiment and figure.
But will definitely go for it once I get the LCR placement nailed fairly correctly.

Hi K-pad,

Nice review ! If you want less baritone sound in the center channel then you can reduce the crossover of the center channel.
After Audyssey calibration, you can adjust the levels of the individual speakers to your taste.
Thanks, Nitin bhai!
Will try playing around.
While on levels, as of now, I can adjust centre and sub on the AVR. Unable to adjust the level of the L-Rs, but I like the current levels fine.
does Audyssey lock the L-R levels?
You may need to experiment more over time and then finally save the settings. For reducing rattle, you could try using a rubber gym tile although rel does not recommend keeping anything under the sub.
In fact, the first time I experienced the rattle, the sub was on the out of the box REL feet. Have put a thick floor mat under it for now, and since then it has stopped going for walks...
But the windows rattle in low rumble scenes even when the curtain is fully draped...
You will find great surround effects in Spiderman far from home and good bullet effects in John wick 3.
Haha, will check for sure. And since I have seen them a few times, will help me notice the difference from earlier set up clearly too.
Thanks again. :)

Audyssey not recognising subwoofer sometimes is a known thing. My friends marantz is not detecting the subwoofer through the app but it works properly with audyssey of avr.

Get carpets or rugs to keep on floor, some reflections and bass can be tamed. Even neighbours can be happy.
Have a small area rug now, will try something bigger soon.
What I do after audyssey is open a loudness meter app on phone and check and set levels for all speakers and subwoofer.
Will try this.
In fact, I realise this will help me tweak levels better actually.
Thanks
All your settings look good, setting up the crossover is own liking and how you get the response in your room. Most of the levels should be in negative, nothing should run hot or positive.

For center channel, check the frequency response correction you set, try changing it. Or maybe this is the right sound which you are not used to :p
Haha! That could be a clear possibility. But will check the FR correction of the centre too.

Thanks, Nitin bhai!
Will try playing around.
While on levels, as of now, I can adjust centre and sub on the AVR. Unable to adjust the level of the L-Rs, but I like the current levels fine.
does Audyssey lock the L-R levels?

In fact, the first time I experienced the rattle, the sub was on the out of the box REL feet. Have put a thick floor mat under it for now, and since then it has stopped going for walks...
But the windows rattle in low rumble scenes even when the curtain is fully draped...

Haha, will check for sure. And since I have seen them a few times, will help me notice the difference from earlier set up clearly too.
Thanks again. :)

Most welcome Sir. Audyssey does not lock the levels of the fronts in the avr settings.
In the avr's setup menu, pls select speakers>Manual setup>Levels>Test Tone Start>Speakers/Test tone.
Here you can adjust all the individual speaker levels as per your tastes.

On a lighter note if you feel that the 1205 goes for walks during heavy bass scenes, as compared to that my earlier Definitive prosub1000 use to go for a jog in the room during such scenes. :)

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Most welcome Sir. Audyssey does not lock the levels of the fronts in the avr settings.
In the avr's setup menu, pls select speakers>Manual setup>Levels>Test Tone Start>Speakers/Test tone.
Here you can adjust all the individual speaker levels as per your tastes.
Oh, got it. Will do.
I could adjust centre and sub from options button on the avr remote.
On a lighter note if you feel that the 1205 goes for walks during heavy bass scenes, as compared to that my earlier Definitive prosub1000 use to go for a jog in the room during such scenes. :)
Haha! Can imagine. You've gone through quite a few subs btw!

IMO if u place too close the seperation will not be there.
Sure with Front & Rear heights u can able to do it.Select the right angle ( best will be 45 degree on either side for Atmos).
Remember If u are planning for Heights on walls u should plan for speakers like SVS ellevation or Dali Alteco or a book shelves speakers to be mounted with brackets to tilt down towards listener .
I myself have Front & rear heights which is good enough for a better immersion .So don't worry .
Rajith bhai,
It so happens that I am moving seating position closer to the TV and more towards the front of the room.
12 feet room, finding a position 5 feet from TV best.
Don't want to sit in an absolute null (6 feet) and run audyssey there)
But will try out an atmos set up at 5-feet and keep you posted. Will share a mock up soon.
It all just happened providentially as I was finding 8 to 7 feet from 65" TV non-immersive.
Something should work out in the new positions....
Regards

<snip>
Will do. As of now, they are still mounted on the room dividers, and I have slid them closer to the TV.
Will try out all positions before slapping them on the wall.
<snip>

Here is food for thought.
If you fix the height, think of slide rails for horizontal movement.
You can then play with wide or narrow as per requirement.

Cheers,
Raghu

Here is food for thought.
If you fix the height, think of slide rails for horizontal movement.
You can then play with wide or narrow as per requirement.

Cheers,
Raghu
Yes, Raghu bhai... been trying out something similar only.
Attaching 8-feet pic and 5-feet pic...

Attachments

• cave.jpg
    cave.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 70
  • toed in.jpg
    toed in.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 70
That's a rustic look :D
How big is the TV? Are you planning for a AV rack?

Cheers,
Raghu
Saar, enna solreenga! (What are you saying!) no way!
Am as simple as simpletons come...

Trynna figure out viewing/listening distances still.
Eventually, would like to nail them speakers and TV to the wall and get rid of the 'teapoy'.
And put the AVR to either the left corner or right corner of the room on a bed-side table :D

Rajith bhai,
It so happens that I am moving seating position closer to the TV and more towards the front of the room.
But will try out an atmos set up at 5-feet and keep you posted. Will share a mock up soon.
It all just happened providentially as I was finding 8 to 7 feet from 65" TV non-immersive.
Regards
Heights are secondary ,first main thing is to plan your listening position and base speaker placement.

Saar, enna solreenga! (What are you saying!) no way!
Am as simple as simpletons come...

Trynna figure out viewing/listening distances still.
Eventually, would like to nail them speakers and TV to the wall and get rid of the 'teapoy'.
And put the AVR to either the left corner or right corner of the room on a bed-side table :D
Sorry, just realised I missed your questions completely.
It's a 65"

Back with more questions friends:

How much can one realistically jack up the level of any speaker above 0dB?
Or is it always advisable to keep the negative trim?

Have had trouble playing heavy and high bit-rate 4K over Plex since day 1. Had always put it down to WiFi speed, and decided I would wait till I can wire it to the TV.
But recently, tried a lighter 4K file with 18 Gbps. Then checked my HDMI cable, which is 10 Gbps.
Would I need a higher speed cable to sort this issue? Or do I just wait to buy a better cable when I am able to wire the TV to internet?

Right now, am playing my old files via Plex. And all OTT via their respective native TV apps.
It has been a good experience so far, barring the heavy 4K problem I mentioned above.

What exactly are the standout advantages a streaming device would give me over this set up?

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
Rajith bhai,
Regards
Rajith bhai,
Like i said in the other thread, I can do one pair overhead and one pair on wall right on the intersection of the ceiling and wall.
What do you think?

Attachments

• overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 22
Hi all,
Back with my one-week experience (around 60 hours):
tl;dr
Major positives:
1. The whole set has turned out to be a well-integrated unit.
2. My feeble dialogue-loud action problem seems to have been solved.
3. Just to be sure, I tested the SPL levels and they were indeed a notch lesser than my earlier range of 65dB for average scenes, and 85dB for loud passages.
Now, it is more like 60dB/80dB for extreme action passages.
4. Have been able to watch a lot of stuff without the need for subtitles after a long time.
5. By far the biggest step-up, even in 3 channels - Surround effects have become superbly spread out and there is a very wide front soundstage for the first time in my room.
I can now place sounds far left (like really from the edge of the room when the sound is off screen), left, left-of screen, centre of screen, right-of screen, right, and far right.
I think I really am going to enjoy going full surround + heights.
6. Bass: Effects that used to be faint in the background have become much clearer while remaining in the background.

Cons:
(Actually, more like minor nitpicks, but nothing like it if I could solve some of them)

1. I noticed this with the sub during the early days, but seems to have gone away. During some intense bassy passages, I could feel the pinch of a bit of pressure in my head momentarily. I hope there is nothing wrong with my head :D and that this is just something that happened because I was new to a sealed sub?

2. Room rattle only in one particular kind of scene - the ones where a deep, low rumble kicks in in the soundtrack.

3. While the centre channel experience has been stupendous so far, a very minor grouse is that some of the voices I know are a bit thin are sounding beefier - like an 'almost baritone' when you know the actor's voice is actually a bit trebly.
Would there be something that I can do to bring them closer to natural? Is this because of the 90 Hz crossover by any chance?

Final observation:
The 7-feet viewing was taking away the immersion factor, which is a big negative, but due to no fault of the speakers.
So mid-week, I moved up the couch to 5 feet, narrowed the L-R closer to the TV, and toed them in towards MLP, and reduced the volume a bit.
Haven't run Audyssey for this position, but have got back the immersion without any sacrifice in sound quality.
Will run Audyssey for this position tonight and update after a week.

Details:
Audyssey settings:

Audyssey failed to recognise the sub in first attempt. Also, felt the 75dB that Audyssey asks us to set the sub volume at before the test was a bit low.
I just re-seated the subwoofer cable and it picked up the sub. Also left the sub volume at 78dB.

Manually set speakers to small and entered tape-measured distances for each speaker.
Edited the auto-crossover (set at 60 Hz) to my preference (90 Hz for all speakers)

Ran the first correction using the Audyssey phone app. Measured with three positions - head position at 7 feet, 20 cm to the left, 20 cm to the right.

Audyssey returned an all-negative trim: -3.5dB for L-R and Sub, and -6dB for the Centre. (Is this fine?)

Post-test:
I disabled midrange compensation, which was introducing a dip at 2K for some reason.
Limited room correction frequency response to 500 Hz for the LCR. It remained at 250 Hz for the sub.
Left Dynamic EQ (compresssion ratio?) on.
Kept Dynamic Volume (kinda night mode) and LFC off

Sent the setting to the AVR and started a movie. Felt the volumes low, and boosted the Centre to -3dB from -6dB.
That fixed the issue.

So far, have tried the following:
Action:

Jungle Cruise - discerned a nice separation between different instruments and weapons
U571 - depth charge scene goes loud and clean with no boominess.
Raging Fire - the movie has a good mix of action scenes featuring gunfire, knives-swords, and hand-to-hand combat. Everything sounded as they should.
Venom 2 - The first carnage scene again went loud, but it resulted in some room rattle.
Legacy of Lies - Has a gunfight scene that has a whole variety of different firearms, and while I wouldn't know if they sounded accurate, each weapon had a distinct signature. This was something I could not pick up in earlier viewings.

No Time To Die, Dune: These last two, I had watched recently in my earlier set up and the difference in bass was very noticeable. The Dune scenes dug really deeper than the older set up, with no distortion or room rattle.

Talky stuff:
Animals, Storm Lake, Hateful Eight
The Centre channel really carried the day, and for the first time after giving up headphones, I have been able to watch stuff comfortably without subtitles.

Mix of quiet passages with sudden spurts of action:
Prisoners - There is a scene towards the end where a circle of high-mast lights are switched off. I could feel the sound move from far right towards the centre as the lights go out one by one.
Out of Time, Sicario: The sub was really at the ready at all times, starting and stopping impeccably.

Music:
Lots of hip-hop, jazz and D&B
Have yet to set up two-channels, so everything is 3.1 and it has been kindda fun. :D
In hip-hop, the main vocals come through the centre channel, and accompanying vocals and chorus are coming from the L-R.
For Jazz, it has been even more fun - the main instruments are going to the centre channel and the supporting instruments are coming out of the L-R
Besides this noticeable thing, the integration of the sub with the main speakers shines for music.
Back with my weekly update!
Movies are going well with no correction to new MLP (5 feet in a room Audyssed for 7 feet)

But the biggest revelation is this:
Happened to have a couple of friends over, and we did a full 4-hour session of:
1. Chet Baker's September,
2. Ella Fitzgerald's Best,
3. Tracy Chapman Hits,
4. Rafi post-surgery songs, and
4. S. Janaki amma's playlist
all on Prime/Youtube.

And they were wowed, sitting in various places and positions.
Of course, this also means that we were not really discerning, but the enjoyment they experienced was worth it.
Am thinking multi-channel audio is not necessarily a bad thing :D

Last edited:
Back with more questions friends:

How much can one realistically jack up the level of any speaker above 0dB?
Or is it always advisable to keep the negative trim?

Have had trouble playing heavy and high bit-rate 4K over Plex since day 1. Had always put it down to WiFi speed, and decided I would wait till I can wire it to the TV.
But recently, tried a lighter 4K file with 18 Gbps. Then checked my HDMI cable, which is 10 Gbps.
Would I need a higher speed cable to sort this issue? Or do I just wait to buy a better cable when I am able to wire the TV to internet?

Right now, am playing my old files via Plex. And all OTT via their respective native TV apps.
It has been a good experience so far, barring the heavy 4K problem I mentioned above.

What exactly are the standout advantages a streaming device would give me over this set up?

Thanks and regards
Hi all,
Clocking in with a big issue. Have been needing to keep Plex on on the desktop, which is about two feet from the ear in current room, when playing movies in the room, and the desktop's CPU fan really goes big when playing a video on the TV.
Like, I just recently found a way to turn down the ceiling fan's noise (which was introducing a 10dB into the room), but now the CPU fan's introducing about the same in the room (8-10dB)
Will a media player like the shield solve this problem (allow me to boot down the comp and reduce the noise floor)

Otherwise it has been an enjoyable experience so far.
The Monitors and the REL have really opened up and how!
Earlier a 70 on a scale of 100 in the system volume used to yield a 65dB, now am able to achieve 65dB with around 63-68 on the system volume, depending on the content.

Edit:
Turned off everything in the comp, and it is still Plex running very hot, consuming 70-100 per cent of memory :(
CPU and Disk are running low once everything is turned off.
The constant fan has stopped, but it keeps turning on and off once in a while...

Last edited:
Hi all,
Clocking in with a big issue. Have been needing to keep Plex on on the desktop, which is about two feet from the ear in current room, when playing movies in the room, and the desktop's CPU fan really goes big when playing a video on the TV.
Like, I just recently found a way to turn down the ceiling fan's noise (which was introducing a 10dB into the room), but now the CPU fan's introducing about the same in the room (8-10dB)
Will a media player like the shield solve this problem (allow me to boot down the comp and reduce the noise floor)

Otherwise it has been an enjoyable experience so far.
The Monitors and the REL have really opened up and how!
Earlier a 70 on a scale of 100 in the system volume used to yield a 65dB, now am able to achieve 65dB with around 63-68 on the system volume, depending on the content.

Edit:
Turned off everything in the comp, and it is still Plex running very hot, consuming 70-100 per cent of memory :(
CPU and Disk are running low once everything is turned off.
The constant fan has stopped, but it keeps turning on and off once in a while...
Here are a few things worth the try:
Add sound dampners from inside / outside the cabinet.
Instead of air cooling go for either passive cooler (noctua etc) or liquid AIO cooling. I would avoid liquid cooling though. If the fan noise is from power supply, get a bigger wattage rated SMPS.
Edit: typo

Last edited:
Rajith bhai,
Like i said in the other thread, I can do one pair overhead and one pair on wall right on the intersection of the ceiling and wall.
What do you think?
Ok. Please ensure that the angles are within the spec. Also note that the pair of speakers gap width should not be more than 0.7times of the room width.

Back