HT in a small 10x12 room at around Rs 3.5L

Hi all,
Just wiring the speakers.
Can I leave them like this, or will they catch moisture?
Should I snip the exposed part tight?
Regards
I have connected the Belden 8477 directly to the binding posts of the 3050i but that is a tinned copper cable. What cable are you using? If you're paranoid about moisture then have the ends tinned. I'd also snip 1 inch from the bare ends to keep it short and twist the remaining ends that jut out in opposite directions thanks to my paranoia of wire strands accidental touching / spider webs/ dust accumulating.

I have connected the Belden 8477 directly to the binding posts of the 3050i but that is a tinned copper cable.
Will tinning be doable at home?
What cable are you using?
2.5 sqmm electrical wires.
If you're paranoid about moisture then have the ends tinned. I'd also snip 1 inch from the bare ends to keep it short and twist the remaining ends that jut out in opposite directions thanks to my paranoia of wire strands accidental touching / spider webs/ dust accumulating.
I think i'll snip it tight and leave it for now?
Might get some plugs later...

Your Top Front & Top Rear speakers looks to be too close .
The best possible placement is 45 degree on either side from your ear heights .( Say for example - Ur ceiling height is 10 feet ,then the distance between ur ears and ceiling will be approx 7 feet ( 10' ceiling height-3' ear height) so you should place ur ceiling speakers 7' apart from your listening position on either side. ( Based on ur layout Top front can be done ,but Top rear placement will go out of spec ( even if you consider 30 degree angle) .
Hi chief,
Been meaning to make the ceiling 8', so used that for the calculation here + my usual seated ear/eye level (35 inches from the floor)
Have attempted the tighter Dolby outer limit of 55 degrees and 125 degrees.
Even that is posing problems, like you rightly said. (Diagram attached)

The rear heights are coming to just about 6 inches for 8 feet viewing distance, and about 18 inches for a 7 feet viewing distance.

Is it going to be too impossible attempting four heights at all? Should I just go with two?
So IMO Front heights & Rear heights installed on wall may work .
By this, you suggest installing the rear heights on the rear wall? That's something, but am pig-headed enough to try... :D

Attachments

• atmos angles.jpg
    atmos angles.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 77
Glad to see you got some speakers, how do you like them?

Are they living upto your expectations? Impressions?

The Monitor Audios were never mentioned in your posts previously as far as I can remember. What made you choose these and the REL?

Congrats and enjoy!

Glad to see you got some speakers, how do you like them?

Are they living upto your expectations? Impressions?
Just got it set up and running them in. Can already sense the sub integrating real well with the LCR. Will share full impressions after a week or so.
The Monitor Audios were never mentioned in your posts previously as far as I can remember. What made you choose these and the REL?
Funnily, after listening to so much, both were blind buys.
Once I decided on on-walls, demos were limited, and it was either the Klipsch, GoldenEar, the Monitors or Taga Harmony. And with the Klipsches and GoldenEars being slightly higher priced, it came down to the last two. Found a decent price for the Monitors, and the Taga dealer never got back, so wrapped it up.

Had heard the REL 1005 and liked it and booked it, then got FOMO, and bumped it up to the 1205 :D

Hi chief,
Been meaning to make the ceiling 8', so used that for the calculation here + my usual seated ear/eye level (35 inches from the floor)
Have attempted the tighter Dolby outer limit of 55 degrees and 125 degrees.
Even that is posing problems, like you rightly said. (Diagram attached)

The rear heights are coming to just about 6 inches for 8 feet viewing distance, and about 18 inches for a 7 feet viewing distance.

Is it going to be too impossible attempting four heights at all? Should I just go with two?

By this, you suggest installing the rear heights on the rear wall? That's something, but am pig-headed enough to try... :D
IMO if u place too close the seperation will not be there.
Sure with Front & Rear heights u can able to do it.Select the right angle ( best will be 45 degree on either side for Atmos).
Remember If u are planning for Heights on walls u should plan for speakers like SVS ellevation or Dali Alteco or a book shelves speakers to be mounted with brackets to tilt down towards listener .
I myself have Front & rear heights which is good enough for a better immersion .So don't worry .

IMO if u place too close the seperation will not be there.
Sure with Front & Rear heights u can able to do it.Select the right angle ( best will be 45 degree on either side for Atmos).
Thanks, bro.
Remember If u are planning for Heights on walls u should plan for speakers like SVS ellevation or Dali Alteco or a book shelves speakers to be mounted with brackets to tilt down towards listener .
This is a good idea. Will keep this in mind.

Congrats bro, Waiting for pics!
You have practically done the AV search for me. Only need to follow in your footsteps.
Here goes...
A temporary set up, with the L-Rs mounted on some spare room dividers, and the old sub as the stand for the Centre.

Attachments

• cave.jpg
    cave.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 115
  • LCR.jpg
    LCR.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 113
  • sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 109
@k-pad Have you seen movies yet in this setup? How is the bass output? I hope booms and thumps aren't too distracting for small room.
Also, just curious - Was white color available as option for LCR speakers?

Hi all,
Just wiring the speakers.
Can I leave them like this, or will they catch moisture?
Should I snip the exposed part tight?
Regards
No need to snip off wires for now. Do the final cuts only when speakers are properly hanged. Any exposed copper will get oxidized and loose its shine, however it doesn't matter because current will only run through the part of the wire which is in direct contact with binding post. If the wire part in direct contact itself isn't shiny, then rub it with some sand paper, and then clean off the shavings with a cloth. Then put the cleaned part in binding post. Tighten the binding post well to minimize the air gaps between copper and binding posts. Banana plugs will just be an additional unnecessary layer between wire copper and binding posts. No need unless you think they look cool (Which is moot point because they will always be hidden from view in your on wall setup)

@k-pad Have you seen movies yet in this setup? How is the bass output? I hope booms and thumps aren't too distracting for small room.
Also, just curious - Was white color available as option for LCR speakers?
No Shri, no movies yet. Maybe in a day or two. Will update here.
Neither White nor Walnut available in India, unfortunately.

No need to snip off wires for now. Do the final cuts only when speakers are properly hanged. Any exposed copper will get oxidized and loose its shine, however it doesn't matter because current will only run through the part of the wire which is in direct contact with binding post. If the wire part in direct contact itself isn't shiny, then rub it with some sand paper, and then clean off the shavings with a cloth. Then put the cleaned part in binding post. Tighten the binding post well to minimize the air gaps between copper and binding posts. Banana plugs will just be an additional unnecessary layer between wire copper and binding posts. No need unless you think they look cool (Which is moot point because they will always be hidden from view in your on wall setup)
Thanks, mate. Have snipped the exposed parts for now.

Hi all,
Back with my one-week experience (around 60 hours):
tl;dr
Major positives:
1. The whole set has turned out to be a well-integrated unit.
2. My feeble dialogue-loud action problem seems to have been solved.
3. Just to be sure, I tested the SPL levels and they were indeed a notch lesser than my earlier range of 65dB for average scenes, and 85dB for loud passages.
Now, it is more like 60dB/80dB for extreme action passages.
4. Have been able to watch a lot of stuff without the need for subtitles after a long time.
5. By far the biggest step-up, even in 3 channels - Surround effects have become superbly spread out and there is a very wide front soundstage for the first time in my room.
I can now place sounds far left (like really from the edge of the room when the sound is off screen), left, left-of screen, centre of screen, right-of screen, right, and far right.
I think I really am going to enjoy going full surround + heights.
6. Bass: Effects that used to be faint in the background have become much clearer while remaining in the background.

Cons:
(Actually, more like minor nitpicks, but nothing like it if I could solve some of them)

1. I noticed this with the sub during the early days, but seems to have gone away. During some intense bassy passages, I could feel the pinch of a bit of pressure in my head momentarily. I hope there is nothing wrong with my head :D and that this is just something that happened because I was new to a sealed sub?

2. Room rattle only in one particular kind of scene - the ones where a deep, low rumble kicks in in the soundtrack.

3. While the centre channel experience has been stupendous so far, a very minor grouse is that some of the voices I know are a bit thin are sounding beefier - like an 'almost baritone' when you know the actor's voice is actually a bit trebly.
Would there be something that I can do to bring them closer to natural? Is this because of the 90 Hz crossover by any chance?

Final observation:
The 7-feet viewing was taking away the immersion factor, which is a big negative, but due to no fault of the speakers.
So mid-week, I moved up the couch to 5 feet, narrowed the L-R closer to the TV, and toed them in towards MLP, and reduced the volume a bit.
Haven't run Audyssey for this position, but have got back the immersion without any sacrifice in sound quality.
Will run Audyssey for this position tonight and update after a week.

Details:
Audyssey settings:

Audyssey failed to recognise the sub in first attempt. Also, felt the 75dB that Audyssey asks us to set the sub volume at before the test was a bit low.
I just re-seated the subwoofer cable and it picked up the sub. Also left the sub volume at 78dB.

Manually set speakers to small and entered tape-measured distances for each speaker.
Edited the auto-crossover (set at 60 Hz) to my preference (90 Hz for all speakers)

Ran the first correction using the Audyssey phone app. Measured with three positions - head position at 7 feet, 20 cm to the left, 20 cm to the right.

Audyssey returned an all-negative trim: -3.5dB for L-R and Sub, and -6dB for the Centre. (Is this fine?)

Post-test:
I disabled midrange compensation, which was introducing a dip at 2K for some reason.
Limited room correction frequency response to 500 Hz for the LCR. It remained at 250 Hz for the sub.
Left Dynamic EQ (compresssion ratio?) on.
Kept Dynamic Volume (kinda night mode) and LFC off

Sent the setting to the AVR and started a movie. Felt the volumes low, and boosted the Centre to -3dB from -6dB.
That fixed the issue.

So far, have tried the following:
Action:

Jungle Cruise - discerned a nice separation between different instruments and weapons
U571 - depth charge scene goes loud and clean with no boominess.
Raging Fire - the movie has a good mix of action scenes featuring gunfire, knives-swords, and hand-to-hand combat. Everything sounded as they should.
Venom 2 - The first carnage scene again went loud, but it resulted in some room rattle.
Legacy of Lies - Has a gunfight scene that has a whole variety of different firearms, and while I wouldn't know if they sounded accurate, each weapon had a distinct signature. This was something I could not pick up in earlier viewings.

No Time To Die, Dune: These last two, I had watched recently in my earlier set up and the difference in bass was very noticeable. The Dune scenes dug really deeper than the older set up, with no distortion or room rattle.

Talky stuff:
Animals, Storm Lake, Hateful Eight
The Centre channel really carried the day, and for the first time after giving up headphones, I have been able to watch stuff comfortably without subtitles.

Mix of quiet passages with sudden spurts of action:
Prisoners - There is a scene towards the end where a circle of high-mast lights are switched off. I could feel the sound move from far right towards the centre as the lights go out one by one.
Out of Time, Sicario: The sub was really at the ready at all times, starting and stopping impeccably.

Music:
Lots of hip-hop, jazz and D&B
Have yet to set up two-channels, so everything is 3.1 and it has been kindda fun. :D
In hip-hop, the main vocals come through the centre channel, and accompanying vocals and chorus are coming from the L-R.
For Jazz, it has been even more fun - the main instruments are going to the centre channel and the supporting instruments are coming out of the L-R
Besides this noticeable thing, the integration of the sub with the main speakers shines for music.

Last edited:
Nice to hear that the HT is coming together well in the man cave.
Seems like you have to spend some more time in the "sandbox" playing with settings.
Do post some pics once the speakers have settled in their final positions.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi K-pad,

Nice review ! If you want less baritone sound in the center channel then you can reduce the crossover of the center channel.
After Audyssey calibration, you can adjust the levels of the individual speakers to your taste.
You may need to experiment more over time and then finally save the settings. For reducing rattle, you could try using a rubber gym tile although rel does not recommend keeping anything under the sub. You will find great surround effects in Spiderman far from home and good bullet effects in John wick 3.
Enjoy your gear.

Rgs,
Nitin

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back