HTIB or logitech z5500

guru

Can i get a good HTIB within 25K thats better than z5500. I'm planning to connect the HTIB setup to my HTPC. usage is mainly movies and games very little music - mostly internet radio.
Having gone thro a couple threads here i dont have much hope :( thats why i'm looking at Logitech z5500 as an alternative.
I've been looking into Onkyo HTIB's apprently they cost twice as much the as in US (and we are supposed to be developing country lol)
Anyway, any HTIB's under 25K better then z5500?

Try the entry level HTIBs from Onkyo. These are anydays better than PC speakers.

Have auditioned z5500 sometime back for a friend, lotta base if that is what you are after.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

I believe this model was retailing for 19k.

All the best.

Hey dude , you can audition HT-SR600 by onkyo, retailing for Rs 19999 and I can bet it will fit your requirement if u are looking for movies coz it has a lot of bass. The speakers are not suited for mid-range, so not good for music but for movies I am sure u would not be disappointed.
I am using HT-SR600 and its excellent for that price.
Do audition it. Its cheap and reasonable good quality and is selling well for onkyo.
Logitech z5500 I think would be more suited for video games but I don't think it can give you real movie experience, though I muct confess I have not auditioned it.
Take care have fun.
Aryan.

Hi i have two systems, a receiver Onkyo Tx-sr504 with speakers Htib Onkyo ht-s790, and the Logi Z-5500.- My taste: Z-5500 sound much larger, wide, better soundstage, the movies sounds great with this. The Onkyo sounds good too, but... dont have the 3d effect, something is absent, maybe the Thx? I dont know. Sorry the english, i live in Argentina, i speak spanish only.

Interesting observation, Roke.

As always, its a subjective matter. We are glad you are happy with your set-up. All this talk basically boils down to only that.

Best Regards.

Hi i have two systems, a receiver Onkyo Tx-sr504 with speakers Htib Onkyo ht-s790, and the Logi Z-5500.- My taste: Z-5500 sound much larger, wide, better soundstage, the movies sounds great with this. The Onkyo sounds good too, but... dont have the 3d effect, something is absent, maybe the Thx? I dont know. Sorry the english, i live in Argentina, i speak spanish only.

I share the feeling. Onkyo sounds *dry* in comparison.

Yesterday I went out to the nearby mall for dinner. There is an eZone outlet there in the mall. It had been a while since I had heard Logitech z5500. So I went to the outlet and hung around there for a while. Luckily for me, they were playing those speakers only so I got a good hang of its sound.

They had it hooked to a laptop featuring onboard audio. They had selected DPL II Music as play mode. Cannot comment on the usefulness of those sound modes as the speakers were almost put together in space of 4-5 feet. Here is what I observed.

Sound wasn't clean enough. I am not sure whether that was because of the poor source or that was the characteristics of the speakers. It was hooked to the laptop with a cheap (and long) AV cable (3 RCA-RCA). That may also have something to be the unclean sound. But I was expecting a little cleaner sound from a THX certified PC speaker costing INR 19k.

Bass was there, very much there, but slightly dry. But I wouldn't complain about the bass quality, at that price point. Bass was there, it was pretty loud and clear. That was the only system playing loud there and low end grunt could be heard (not felt) even in far corners of that large store.

High were okay, or can say good (keeping in mind the price). There wasn't any audible distortion at normal listening levels (I didn't ask him to play it loud for me, when it was playing loud I was browsing other sections).

Mids were missing though. Vocals weren't coming up at all with the rest of the spectrum. Quite possibly they had done it on purpose (may be, I'm not sure).

Despite all these problems, some tracks that were playing sounded good enough. One remix (from the movie Jannat most probably, thats doing the rounds as of now) was playing (quite loud) and it sounded good enough. One track from Aqua, Dr Jones, also sounded right. I believe, songs with not much of dynamic range would sound good enough on these speakers.

THX certification, and a nice packaging (Woofer looked attractive. You can buy one just as a show piece.) Good finish and useful table stand cum wall mounting design. I'd say it was an okay buy for that money. If someone just wants a nice, attractive okay sounding HTIB around an HTPC, it is an okay buy for the money.

Look at the AVR's in pioneer. They may fall under your buget. Moreover Onkyo has some limitations w.r.t overheat when u r running it for more hours. Do check the spec and forums more.

But again if you are having 25K as the budget. I doubt you would get a HT package.

I personally own Z-5500 and I'm really happy with it watching movies in DTS/DD. But as stated in this forum it does not fall under HT category.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back