HTiBs -- all sound very loud ...

dips0502

Okay...So I am going for a 5.1 speaker system set up. I was very excited about the Onkyo HT S 3300. Thought it was just perfect retailing at around 25k since it fitted in nicely under my budget. But when I auditioned it, I was totally disappointed with it.

The sound it seemed was screaming at me. I felt my creative 2.1 worth some 2k was giving me a warmer sound. I had auditioned a Denon 1611 AVR with Polk RM6750 (although this combo was way beyond my budget) and dint like it either.

I did like the Violet speakers from Snap Networks, but lack of an AVR, no display from the control unit, and it's price is putting me off. Also there is no guarantee that it can decode all the formats. I have almost decided to get a media player and a Logitech Z5500 instead.

I went through the Violet speaker review here on hifivision, and checked to see if the Philips HTS 4750 was still available. It wasn't and checked the higher end models from Philips and again felt the sound too bright and not warm enough.

Can anyone let me know why these HTIBs sound so bright and loud. Also please let me know if there are any particular tracks that I need to carry around while auditioning these systems.

Currently I am carrying Hotel California and Fields of Gold by Sting.

Most dealers play a HT system at larger than acceptable volumes to compensate for collateral noise as well as to impress the prospective client. There is no harm in asking for the remote and controlling the amplitude yourself.

Cheers

Most dealers play a HT system at larger than acceptable volumes to compensate for collateral noise as well as to impress the prospective client. There is no harm in asking for the remote and controlling the amplitude yourself.

Cheers

Even they dont use proper settings sometime.Most of AVR have Cinema equiliser which softens high/bright treble,which you need to check.
Even new spk/sat(without burning in)can sound bright.

Agreed with the replies above. The dealers mostly want to impress you with how Loud and how Boom-bastic the system is. They hike up the Sub which makes the sound Muddy and I've seen how they don't really know the various settings. I am very close to begin owning a 3300, and hence the research and the demos I have been taking of the system, I've noticed the AVR offers you many tweaks and level controls for all the speakers.

I've tested it playing Floyd and some more unplugged CDs. I've learnt that reducing the sub levels and tuning the speakers does help in bringing a little crisper sound.

we have lots of members in bangaluru.. see if you get a chance to audition at home environment.. 99% of the av dealers at stores besides a decicated av store do not have any knowlege..

the sales men are tough tp play one dvd and at a volume.. thats all they know..

they have no idea bout speaker, frequency , cross over, blah blah...

onkyo 3300 is a good option.. i dont have one...

i have logi z-5500.. but as u need an avr .. i would still suggest go for onk 3300

if budget is less nutin beats z-5500

Okay...So I am going for a 5.1 speaker system set up. I was very excited about the Onkyo HT S 3300. Thought it was just perfect retailing at around 25k since it fitted in nicely under my budget. But when I auditioned it, I was totally disappointed with it.

The sound it seemed was screaming at me. I felt my creative 2.1 worth some 2k was giving me a warmer sound. I had auditioned a Denon 1611 AVR with Polk RM6750 (although this combo was way beyond my budget) and dint like it either.

I did like the Violet speakers from Snap Networks, but lack of an AVR, no display from the control unit, and it's price is putting me off. Also there is no guarantee that it can decode all the formats. I have almost decided to get a media player and a Logitech Z5500 instead.

I went through the Violet speaker review here on hifivision, and checked to see if the Philips HTS 4750 was still available. It wasn't and checked the higher end models from Philips and again felt the sound too bright and not warm enough.

Can anyone let me know why these HTIBs sound so bright and loud. Also please let me know if there are any particular tracks that I need to carry around while auditioning these systems.

Currently I am carrying Hotel California and Fields of Gold by Sting.

i think the OP is raising a relevant point..in all his auditions his reference is the warm sounding Creative 'worth about 2K'...most of the stuff that he auditioned either sounded 'too bright' or 'not warm enough', compared to what we can guess...

. The dealers mostly want to impress you with how Loud and how Boom-bastic the system is. They hike up the Sub which makes the sound Muddy .

Totally agree.I always observe that when you watch the Demo clip,dealer never(mostly)see it(screen),but he looks @ your face to check whether you are impressed.:eek:hyeah:
I always ask to turn volume down for better listening & judging.

Slightly OT here, but have you tried the Klipsch promedia 2.1?
I once owned it, and before settling for it I was using a z-5500. Though I reduced from a 5.1 to a 2.1 but the sound quality was much much better of Klipsch than Logitech. Again, that's just my experience.
if budget is less nutin beats z-5500

Slightly OT here, but have you tried the Klipsch promedia 2.1?
I once owned it, and before settling for it I was using a z-5500. Though I reduced from a 5.1 to a 2.1 but the sound quality was much much better of Klipsch than Logitech. Again, that's just my experience.

Where did you get the promedia does it have a remote to control the volume ?

Thank you all for your replies.. I have decided to go for the Onkyo 3300, since thats the only thing that fits into my budget.

I need someone in Bangalore who already own this system to spare some time in giving me a demo of this at their home.

Thank you all for your replies.. I have decided to go for the Onkyo 3300, since thats the only thing that fits into my budget.

I need someone in Bangalore who already own this system to spare some time in giving me a demo of this at their home.

You can always take a showroom demo go to griha vibhav ... Take the demo and lowest price is assured. A friend pickedup for 22000/-

But they generally sound too damn harsh in the showrooms. Anyway Griha Vibhav is quoting me MRP for it...Can you ask your friend whom he contacted at Griha, so I can refer to him and get a good deal.....

But they generally sound too damn harsh in the showrooms. Anyway Griha Vibhav is quoting me MRP for it...Can you ask your friend whom he contacted at Griha, so I can refer to him and get a good deal.....

Such HTIBs do generally sound lil harsh. Yday I saw a 3305 model in hypercity for 24500... May be you can bargain there also for a bit more. It seems to have BD compatibility.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back