HTPC build stuck because of simple stuff

gobble

So I dusted out my old file server lying unused for many years - it had a GA-E350N mobo with a soldered-on primitive 2 core cpu and weak radeon 6310 onboard gpu. Now I want to install Plex on CentOS using a brand new Biostar J1900NH2 purchased 5 years back but lying around in the cupboard. I want to use the quad-core celeron j1900 with Intel Quicksync to transcode the videos rather than continue with the older weaker mobo. I need Plex to quickly review my vacation videos edited on my desktop on my Ipad's wide-gamut screen. Basically copy work-in-progress color graded clips to a Samba share on the CentOS running Plex and playback on iPad. Dont want to plugin with a lightning to usb connector and copy files and delete endlessly.

So 2 hours into the project basically stripping down the chassis and more dust cleaning - I ended up plucking out the nylon ATX Motherboard Standoff Support Spacers using a needle nose plier as the space was too tight to prise out the mobo attached to it.
MoboPlasticstandoff.jpg

Now rummaging through the knick-knacks with heaps of assorted tidbits from various computer builds I discovered that I have no ATX Motherboard Standoff Support Spacers left!! :eek: Meaning I cant attach the new mobo and get going. Its lockdown week in Bangalore and searching online leads to ZERO sellers selling this basic stuff! I. am looking for either Brass or the plastic version - Brass preferred for grounding to chassis.
MoboBrass-standoff.jpg

Ideally i want to buy a. packet of one or two dozen and be done with it for the next few years. Where can I get it home delivered in Bangalore? i am desperate to finish this sooner than later.

Cheers & Thanks for any inputs on this.

Oh man, I wish I could help .. It's so frustrating when something gets held up because of something so silly.. I have a bunch of these lying around and I wish I could send them across..

Can you try calling some PC shops in the neighborhood?

If not, the J1900 mobo is small enough to let it sit in a corner in the mobo box while running - finish your software stack and then fix the hardware once things open up

Good idea - let me find some local numbers on justdial and call ... tomorrow daytime.

Its a Cooler Master 120 NAS box - everything is a tight fit ... and I dont want to risk shorting anything especially when force is applied to the rear connectors.

Cheers

Hi @gobble , how are you did not see your posts since ages :)

I think I do have similar kind of nylon spacers and I can send it over to you. PM me and we can take it from there.

Thanks

Hehe this reminded me of running our PCs cabinet less in the hostel. Mother board was on a piece of thermacol and all devices hanging on the side. You see in those days there were no USb drives. On Fridays, we used to carry our hard discs to barter content for the weekend.

MaSh

Hehe this reminded me of running our PCs cabinet less in the hostel. Mother board was on a piece of thermacol and all devices hanging on the side. You see in those days there were no USb drives. On Fridays, we used to carry our hard discs to barter content for the weekend.

MaSh
Oh man! I remember killing my next room neighbor's cabinet by using the poor case as a chair during an all-night booze session.
Not sure when or how , but the cabinet was found bent and crumbled next day. :(

Everything else was working so the mobo was shoved somewhere in the study table which is where it hummed for the rest of its life..
The (3.5") hard drives were meant to be movable anyway !

As for the dead cabinet, it served us for another year as a giant ashtray!!

Oh man! I remember killing my next room neighbor's cabinet by using the poor case as a chair during an all-night booze session.
Not sure when or how , but the cabinet was found bent and crumbled next day. :(

Everything else was working so the mobo was shoved somewhere in the study table which is where it hummed for the rest of its life..
The (3.5") hard drives were meant to be movable anyway !

As for the dead cabinet, it served us for another year as a giant ashtray!!
Haha i remember my old days. We (entire batch) used to use some poor fellow's Hdd as portable drive to avoid disconnecting ours. He was more than happy to lend as he used to get free supply of quality content (u know what I mean ;) ) when there was only dialup.

Hi @gobble , how are you did not see your posts since ages :)

I think I do have similar kind of nylon spacers and I can send it over to you. PM me and we can take it from there.

Thanks
Ohh I just saw this after so many days I ordered the only choice I saw - had to get 300 pieces of mostly useless stuff that I already have spare lying around... 600 bucks or so on Amazon.P_20200730_160311_1_2_1.jpgP_20200730_160311_1_2_1.jpg

Ohh I just saw this after so many days I ordered the only choice I saw - had to get 300 pieces of mostly useless stuff that I already have spare lying around... 600 bucks or so on Amazon.
<pic snipped>
Keep them locked away. You never know when they'll transform into a Decepticon!!
Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back