Hunt starts for a 3D TV. Plasma or LED?

I am calling the LG dealers but they said the TVs will be available this weekend. I asked about the price and they said they don't know yet. I hope this weekend it will be available.

I am seeing 2 problems with this TV.

1. The refresh rate of this TV is less. There might be a possibility of ghosting.
2. Ppl like me who wear spectacles cannot wear the new glasses. The Active shutter glasses I can wear over my specs because they are pretty big. he he. Stupid thing but it is a problem for me. Or else i wear contact lenses to watch the movie. :p

Akhil,

3D technology is here to stay, like it or not, all the prominent manufacturers are coming out with 3D ready TVs this year... Cross talk (where you get ghosting) is more prominent on LED TVs than on Plasma right now, so if 3D is your most important requirement, plasmas may be the way to go (at least for the time being)...

1) If picture quality is most important, it may make sense to go for a Panasonic VT 20 plasma, as they seem to incorporate Pioneer's "Kuro" technology in the recent panels (deeper blacks, better contrast). The HD performance from even Tata Sky HD channels is amazing (Star Cricket HD looks as stunning as on a Kuro TV).

2) Alternatively, if LED excites you, you could try the Sony KDL-46EX720, should cost you a lakh, though the black levels may not be as good as the 710 series which are now being replaced by the 720 series. The KDL-46NX710 too is a beautiful TV with deep blacks, but would cost a lot more.

3) Samsung's 46C7000 series is now being discounted heavily, should be available for about 1.08 lakhs. This picture is extremely crisp, in both 2D and 3D, has good blacks, though the colors are over exuberant.

Also, for 3D to be effective, the picture needs to be big enough to immerse you... A 50" panel will be really cool.

I agree to all the points you mentioned here. Some people don't like 3D but I am not among them. Earlier the 3D technology was ok for me but after taking demos of these TVs I am really impressed with it. Moreover the 2D TVs are just 8-10k cheaper than the 3D. I think in future, 2D will just disappear.

If you will read my earlier posts, I had made up my mind for LG 50PZ550 (Plasma) with 3D. Still waiting for the TV to launch so that I can have demo. I know Plasma's refresh rate is higher than LEDs so ghosting will be comparatively less. Yes picture quality is important but the Panasonic VT20 is way too expensive and out of my budget. The dealer quoted me 1.68 lacs for VT20 50". Again if you will read the older posts, I mentioned my experience about VT20 which was just amazing. Although the TV had sync issues with Glasses but the picture quality was excellent.

I did take a demo of Sony LED but somehow it didn't excite me much. Yes black levels were good but somehow the 3D experience was ok. The best 3D experience I had with Samsung. I took the demo of Samsung C7000 also but got a little disappointment as the 3D didnt work at 2 showrooms. Both the showroom ppl said there is some issue with the sync. He said the glasses are not working but I used the same glasses with other Samsung TV and they were working. Same happened at the other showroom. I just got a doubt on the TV. I know the 2D quality was crisp and when 3D worked, it was good too but the sync issue put a doubt on my mind.

LG experience went well. I had a demo of 47LX9500 and it was good. But when I came to know that the new range is coming, I thought it would be best to wait for a while.

My bedroom size is 10x12 so 47" 3D TV will do good. Although i am even ready to buy 50" Plasma if i will like the quality. Just one doubt that everybody put on my mind that Plasmas are a little dull that LED and the 3D on Plasma will be more dull. Lets see, I am just waiting for the 2011 models to take demo and buy the one which will excite me and impress me.

hi akhil...have you by chance tested the new samsung ps51d550 which is a series 5 full hd 3d plasma around the price range of 72k..any thoughts on this and how it compares to other tv in similar price range

No, I disnt get the chance to demo Samsung Plasma. But there is a different thread going on that particular Plasma TV.

I have to audition more TVs this weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Since 3d is important wait for 2011 samsung smart tvs.
CNET reviewed the D8000 they says its the best 3d they have seen compared to other lcds and plasma including the GT30 panasonic.

I am looking for a LED tv. 3D is not a compulsion. I looked at 46C7000 of samsung. for 99K. But i got a dealer who offered me 46"Ex720 sony 3d led for 90K before negotiations :yahoo: . is it a good bargain and can i go ahead and buy the sony. as i feel it will not get any better.
any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
Since 3d is important wait for 2011 samsung smart tvs.
CNET reviewed the D8000 they says its the best 3d they have seen compared to other lcds and plasma including the GT30 panasonic.

Is it better than the LG Cinema 3D? What would be the price range and when they will be launched in India? Any idea?

Is it better than the LG Cinema 3D? What would be the price range and when they will be launched in India? Any idea?

Its already launched in india as per samsung website which lists the D8000, no idea about the price.

Haven't seen either of these tvs personally so can't comment,but i can say that the samsung will have far higher contrast,its smart tv feature is slightly better then lg and Sony.

Its already launched in india as per samsung website which lists the D8000, no idea about the price.

Haven't seen either of these tvs personally so can't comment,but i can say that the samsung will have far higher contrast,its smart tv feature is slightly better then lg and Sony.
All the Samsung Dealers have the price list now. I was quoted around 2.2L for 55" model.

All the Samsung Dealers have the price list now. I was quoted around 2.2L for 55" model.
Hi Prankey,

I was quoted 2.04 lakh for 55d8000 from Samsung showroom. another branch quoted 2.1l for the same model. Surprisingly, Reliance is quoting around 2.3 l as they think the MRP is 2.5l (which is now live on Samsung India website...disppointing) and they are giving a good discount of 20k. So it seems third party dealers are at loss here and its better to go with Samsung showrooms for this model.

Not sure why in India Samsung has kept their 2011 model prices higher than 2010, whereas in every country it is significantly lower! However, I have decided to wait a little more since Sony HX 820 is expected to arrive by May and I am hoping they will be little more sensible with the price.

Keep us posted on what offer you get though..

Samsung is no doubt a better brand in LEDs but that doesn't mean LG is not good. Before starting taking demo I had also the same impression but after reading a lot of reviews, I think LG isnt a bad brand either. If the budget is tight one can go for LG.

Samsung 8000 seems expensive. Let me see if I can get a good deal for this TV. Will post the prices surely here.

I am actually very much confused about the screen size. If I wanted a 2D TV, 46,47" would be good for me but since I am going for 3D TV, ppl are suggesting to go for 50". My room size is 11x12. I dont know 46-47" would be ok or not. Or If I go for 50", would it look weird?

Guys, anyone got the pricing of LG LW6500 and LW5700 47" TVs?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I have seen LGs latest Cinima 3D offering with LW6500 and it just rocks!!!, best 3D experience I had ........ one of my major complain with the earlier models (with active shutter) was that, there was no picture control when turned to 3D and the picture used to go pretty dull with no means to adjust it, with LW series we have full control over picture settings plus couple off few niffty features to control the 3D settings as well resulting in to a far better 3D experience. ......Plus the 2D->3D conversion is the best I have seen with this TV and its plays 3D mkvs right out of the box .......... sweet TV if you ask me .....

Hi Prankey,

I was quoted 2.04 lakh for 55d8000 from Samsung showroom. another branch quoted 2.1l for the same model. Surprisingly, Reliance is quoting around 2.3 l as they think the MRP is 2.5l (which is now live on Samsung India website...disppointing) and they are giving a good discount of 20k. So it seems third party dealers are at loss here and its better to go with Samsung showrooms for this model.

Not sure why in India Samsung has kept their 2011 model prices higher than 2010, whereas in every country it is significantly lower! However, I have decided to wait a little more since Sony HX 820 is expected to arrive by May and I am hoping they will be little more sensible with the price.

Keep us posted on what offer you get though..

Prices are actually lower than the launch prices of C series last year. We need to wait till around Diwali for the prices to drop. Further drop will come in December and March next year.. This is how it works.. I will most probably wait till then as the correction in top end models is pretty sharp and they will most probably offer goodies like free glasses and BR player from Diwali..

Lg lw 6500 47 inch 105 with wi fi dongal & lg new m rem
42 inch 85

LG LW6500 47" is of Rs.105,000/- ??? Can you confirm cuz i called the dealer here and he quoted me Rs.136,000/- and that is after discount.

If i will get it in 105,000 i will buy it in an instant. Pls confirm this and give me the dealer details..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back