ICE'ing the Scorpio

rjstyles

It's been little over 2 years of my Scorpio ownership and the ICE upgrade was a long pending one. I have always been inclined to SQ than SPL and being an SQ addict I wanted my mids and lows no matter what.

My quest for an SQ setup started and the existing setup on my scorp was

Head Unit > Kenwood KDC-BT7043U
eFX components for the front doors.
Boston Acoustics sxi 606 compo's for the center door.
efx 4200 ( 4 channel amp) powering the compo's.
Volfenhag ZX-8100(2 channel 800Watts ) powering my 12" sub.
12 " Subwoofer from Hifonics in a ported box

It sounded good, however you never run short of excuses and find ways to go in for an upgrade so that you can get a little better sound. I started off with a 15k budget and it went way above that .
Time and again I would revisit this page , console myself saying ok we wont go above 15k, then again during my next visit next visit after some research I promise myself that we would stay in the 20k budget . Well it looked like none of this was gonna hold good.

Last May I traveled to the US on a business visit and decided that the components and the monobloc was to be picked up there. Well no place beats the price like they offer.

A quick call to Satya( EVO , IndiraNagar) and we zeroed down on following components
Alpine SPX-17REF
JL Audio C2-650
Rockford Fosgate T2652-S
Boston Acoustics SR60

The SR60's were ruled out coz they were selling at 300+ $'s and I had a budget of 200 which could stretch till 250 for the components. The Alpines had some pretty good reviews. Once again had to ditch the Alpines for the fact that the speaker dept was a little too high and accommodating one in the Scorpio's front door was gonna be a tough call.

Went ahead and ordered for the JL Audio C2 650 components. Was shipped in flat two days to my apartment in Houston, paid 151 USD including shipping.
For the monobloc I decided on the Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D and costed 192 USD including shipping. Allz well and both fell right within my budget.

Fast forward got back to India and then could never find time to get the ICE install done. It took me close to 3 months to get everything in place and upgrade the ICE.

The plan was pretty straight forward, install the c2 650 components on the front door and move the eFX components to the center door. Now if you guys remember I had done a DIY with FG for the speaker enclosure, which is posted here . There was a small problem, the eFX mid bass speaker was a tad bit big and wouldn't sit in the same FG speaker pod. Also the tweeters weren't flush mounted on the center doors.

Time for another DIY and we fabricated a new speaker and tweeter pod for the center doors. Satya went ahead and did the DIY using FG and made a custom pod to accommodate the mid bass speakers.

With everything in place it was time for the install. The final list of equipments looked like this

JVC KW-XR816 2-DIN CD Receiver
JL Audio C2 650
Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D monobloc
eFX components (retained from the old setup)
efx 4200 4 channel amp retained(retained from the old setup)
Hifonics 12 inch sub-woofer in a ported box(retained from the old setup)

The amps have been installed beneath the driver and the co-drivers seats. Haven't clicked any pictures of it, will stop my rant for now and let the pictures do the talking.

The JVC double din HU. Has multiple back light choices.

The tweeters flush mounted on the right and left front doors.

Custom made tweeter pods for the center doors.

FG pod made for the mid bass speakers.

Added some bling too with a few LED's.

The sub-woofer control knob.

The HU is BT enabled and has a mic too. You can make/receive phone calls, a nice feature and something that I really need.

The Sub-woofer

The 6x9's installed on the last door.

The remote and yeah its tiny.

JVC KW-XR816 2-DIN CD Receiver --> 10,800/- Rs
JL Audio C2 650 --> 6800/- Rs (picked up in the US)
Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D --> 8600/-Rs (picked up in the US)
Speaker and tweeter pods --> 3500/-Rs

The system sounds great and no boomy bass, perfect tight bass which suits my ears. Money well spent and thanks for your time reading through :).

WOW. Thats a dream you pulled out there.
Amazing work. Mic is an added bonus.
Total cost? Too lazy to read and add everything :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back