Improving stereo performance of 3020i

waris

Dear friends,
I have 3.1 channel system. Setup includes
3020i +3090c
HTS12
Denon x2400
Now I have noticed that when I play songs in stereo mode( i.e L+R+Sub) bass is not tight. As soon as I switch to Dolby sorround that brings the centre channel into play (L+R+C+Sub) bass becomes tight. I am testing with the latest Bollywood songs.
I have completed Audessey calibration.

What's going on here?

Last edited:
IMG-20210320-WA0002.jpg
Above is the placement of speakers and sub. I don't have many options for keeping the sub. This wall is 15ft long and the width of room is 12ft. Speakers are kept 5-6 ft apart and my sofa is placed on the opposite wall with no gap. This living room opens into dining (No door) of 8ft x14ft.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-190125.png
    Screenshot_20200721-190125.png
    330.5 KB · Views: 67
Dear friends,
Now I have noticed that when I play songs in stereo mode( i.e L+R+Sub) bass is not tight. As soon as I switch to Dolby sorround that brings the centre channel into play (L+R+C+Sub) bass becomes tight.

What's going on here?

It’s quite likely that you have phase issues between your L/R and sub. In the absence of other measurement possibilities, you can increase the delay of your subwoofer signal (1 ms at a time) to see where it best integrates with your L/R.

It’s quite likely that you have phase issues between your L/R and sub. In the absence of other measurement possibilities, you can increase the delay of your subwoofer signal (1 ms at a time) to see where it best integrates with your L/R.
Hi,
Any comments on room configuration. Is the attached dining room could be causing the bass to be not so tight. Why the centre channel brings such tightness to bass.

Get speaker stands. The right speakers are kept on some platform that's where I think the problem is.

Dear friends,
I have 3.1 channel system. Setup includes
3020i +3090c
HTS12
Denon x2400
Now I have noticed that when I play songs in stereo mode( i.e L+R+Sub) bass is not tight. As soon as I switch to Dolby sorround that brings the centre channel into play (L+R+C+Sub) bass becomes tight. I am testing with the latest Bollywood songs.
I have completed Audessey calibration.

What's going on here?
Are you sure that the sub is getting engaged in stereo mode. There are some AVRs that drop the sub in stereo mode.

In the room of your dimensions you should not even have needed subwoofer for two channel listening. As suggested , you need a pair of speaker stands but I don’t see any space for them.

View attachment 55579
Above is the placement of speakers and sub. I don't have many options for keeping the sub. This wall is 15ft long and the width of room is 12ft. Speakers are kept 5-6 ft apart and my sofa is placed on the opposite wall with no gap. This living room opens into dining (No door) of 8ft x14ft.
Whats the bass like in pure direct mode with sub crossover at 80hz? Make sure the sub is not set to lfe only as @Amarendra pointed out. Check if the sub is outputting bass in stereo mode. If it is, you need to set crossover to lfe+main.

Last edited:
Get speaker stands. The right speakers are kept on some platform that's where I think the problem is.
In the room of your dimensions you should not even have needed subwoofer for two channel listening. As suggested , you need a pair of speaker stands but I don’t see any space for them
I had purchased Q accoustics wall brackets that I have yet to install. Will they help. I also have the foam bung that came with speakers.

Whats the bass like in pure direct mode with sub crossover at 80hz? Make sure the sub is not set to lfe only as @Amarendra pointed out. Check if the sub is outputting bass in stereo mode. If it is, you need to set crossover to lfe+main.
Crossover is set to 80Hz.
Direct mode SPL level are lower and need to increase the volume .
I am out of station . I will check regarding LFE+Main as soon as I am back.
Also I used to think for small bookshelf it's better to let the subwoofer play bass frequencies.

I had purchased Q accoustics wall brackets that I have yet to install. Will they help. I also have the foam bung that came with speakers.
If you are installing them with the brackets (generally / preferably used for surrounds over mains) then you will/might require the bungs for reducing bass boom. Take two exact wooden stools, keep the speakers on them and check if the existing bass problem still persists.

If you are installing them with the brackets (generally / preferably used for surrounds over mains) then you will/might require the bungs for reducing bass boom. Take two exact wooden stools, keep the speakers on them and check if the existing bass problem still persists.
Ok. I will check the speaker performance by keeping on same platform.

View attachment 55579

I would recommend replacing bookshelves by floorstanding speakers.

I would recommend replacing bookshelves by floorstanding speakers.
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have the space to keep the floorstanding speakers. I may even end up mounting the bookshelves on the wall bracket. Will that hamper the performance too much. I thought the HTS12 sub woofer will take care of any bass requirements and bookshelf can carry mid and high.

That's an interesting thought. Any particular reason?

For any room listening, one needs good amount of pressure generated by speakers and for that more or large drivers are needed. This is most probably the reason why OP likes it when center channel is engaged too.

The analogy is is fairly simple - I cannot lit a room with table lamp, need a big bulb or car ride is always more comfortable that a 2-wheeler ride. But, again, this is purely my opinion based on my experiences. I have been through similar route.

Essentially, one enjoys listening when the system is less stressed to come to one's level of satisfaction.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have the space to keep the floorstanding speakers. I may even end up mounting the bookshelves on the wall bracket. Will that hamper the performance too much. I thought the HTS12 sub woofer will take care of any bass requirements and bookshelf can carry mid and high.

In fact, mounting on wall may help improving a bit but I doubt it would be to your level of satisfaction :). See, the brain is a tricky animal, it needs same level of pressure on mids and highs too what you have on low level frequencies.

I know it is discouraging when you have already spent on speakers but if you really like to enjoy music, you will have to make space for it :). I can understand that upgrades cannot be done immediately but when you do in future, do try tall speakers.

If you are still experimenting, try having only 3-4 feet of distance between L and R. And yes, as someone mentioned above, isolation is needed. Try Coca-Cola pet bottles caps below the speakers as a temporary arrangement.

Back