Improving stereo performance of 3020i

I'm chipping in late, but try raising the crossover for your fronts, I also suspect it's phase issues and in surround mode the problem areas are being moved to the center which simply doesn't produce those sounds at the same level. Instead of going LFE+Main - I'd try doing 100Hz/120Hz on the mains and going LFE only. Alternatively, try to get someone to change the phase of your subwoofer gradually as you sit and listen in your position.

I'm chipping in late, but try raising the crossover for your fronts, I also suspect it's phase issues and in surround mode the problem areas are being moved to the center which simply doesn't produce those sounds at the same level. Instead of going LFE+Main - I'd try doing 100Hz/120Hz on the mains and going LFE only. Alternatively, try to get someone to change the phase of your subwoofer gradually as you sit and listen in your position.
Thanks for the input.
My sub has only zero and 180 degree phase control.

Will Audessey App on Android work with Denon x2400 AVR?

What should be the crossover for centre channel?

Adding my 2 cents here.

Direct or pure direct will always have less subwoofer base compared to dolby surround.
But the quality will be high, vocals and sound stage will be just perfect.
Dolby surround adds bass which is good for movies but not for music. For example while listening to music, you want to listen the cords vocals everything in proper detail, if bass is increased the sound will be muddier and the crispness of music will be lost.
I think what you have is good, settings should be as per other members have suggested.
Placement of speakers matter alot, from what I can see in the image, the speakers are too low.
Also as someone suggested, the platform will absorb the sound too.

Speakers should be at ear level and the centre should hit at least on the face.

As for the channel levels they look fine, if you are unsure. Download a SPL meter app on phone, run a test tone from speakers at 75db volume and match each speaker channel level.

I checked the crossovers for your speakers online.
Fronts are about 64hz
Centre at 75hz
Normally people suggest 20hz + to be the crossover.
You can try playing between 80-100hz

Increasing the crossover, would make the sub kick in early. 80hz is the sweet spot for most speakers.

Last edited:
Adding my 2 cents here.

Direct or pure direct will always have less subwoofer base compared to dolby surround.
But the quality will be high, vocals and sound stage will be just perfect.
Dolby surround adds bass which is good for movies but not for music. For example while listening to music, you want to listen the cords vocals everything in proper detail, if bass is increased the sound will be muddier and the crispness of music will be lost.
I think what you have is good, settings should be as per other members have suggested.
Placement of speakers matter alot, from what I can see in the image, the speakers are too low.
Also as someone suggested, the platform will absorb the sound too.

Speakers should be at ear level and the centre should hit at least on the face.

As for the channel levels they look fine, if you are unsure. Download a SPL meter app on phone, run a test tone from speakers at 75db volume and match each speaker channel level.

I checked the crossovers for your speakers online.
Fronts are about 64hz
Centre at 75hz
Normally people suggest 20hz + to be the crossover.
You can try playing between 80-100hz

Increasing the crossover, would make the sub kick in early. 80hz is the sweet spot for most speakers.
I generally listen in stereo mode as SPL levels are low in direct mode and have to increase the volume a bit.
Thanks for pointing out the differences in direct and sorround modes.
To increase the height of speakers I only have the option of mounting on wall brackets that came with speakers.
Will that be a good idea?
As you can see in the pic i don't have the space to go for stand mount but I will keep that option open as last resort.

That fine, many FMs love the hobby but are bound due to space constraints.
You can try working with the wall mounts, if it makes a difference to you why not try?
For center channel you can elevate it a bit from the front if you are unable to find a optimum position to place this. So if it is sitting low, the throw is in your face.

I generally listen in stereo mode as SPL levels are low in direct mode and have to increase the volume a bit.
Thanks for pointing out the differences in direct and sorround modes.
To increase the height of speakers I only have the option of mounting on wall brackets that came with speakers.
Will that be a good idea?
As you can see in the pic i don't have the space to go for stand mount but I will keep that option open as last resort.
Having Bookshelves + Center + sub for a room of that size seems an ideal decision for a good Audio-video experience. IMO, you are not wrong in that. But stereo speakers (LR) will shine more with Stereo Amps than an AVR, since set up is very simple and no tweaking required from hardware/software side. Though, AVRs are not that bad for music, but only thing we need more expertise and patience to make ideal stereo setup out of the AVR.

Before spending money on stands or making circus with wall brackets, investing huge on Floor standers, shall we check, what best can be done with placement of speakers?
  1. The main constraint observed is the fancy looking cabinet, not having even-platform across the length. The height of the speaker placement is insufficient. Is that cabinet is fixed to floor & Wall? If the house is not rented, you can make some alterations (making even-top and adding legs of 6-8") to cabinet and bring it to required height.
  2. Those bookshelves are rear ported. Hanging on wall means; you need to maintain the breathing space of at least 6" from wall to speaker back. Wall hanging normally works better with sealed speaker boxes, but not with ported ones, particularly rear ported. You might get disappointed again.
  3. Let us try to understand the current placement of speakers. Each and every element in the room play crucial role in sound re-production, that too when using hi-fi bookshelves+center+sub. The Photograph of the placement is not giving clear picture of surroundings (even considering the floor plan). It seems the main door is at right side (near the sub). That may not an ideal placer for the sub. We cant make out what is at far left side. The image is cut. Out of the 15 ft width you referred, only 8-9 ft covered in the photo. Is there any doors at left side, making opening to bedrooms? or plain wall? no clue. You can share some more photos of wide angle, giving a clear view of all the 4 sides, the FMs can suggest better placement.

Last edited:
Having Bookshelves + Center + sub for a room of that size seems an ideal decision for a good Audio-video experience. IMO, you are not wrong in that. But stereo speakers (LR) will shine more with Stereo Amps than an AVR, since set up is very simple and no tweaking required from hardware/software side. Though, AVRs are not that bad for music, but only thing we need more expertise and patience to make ideal stereo setup out of the AVR.

Before spending money on stands or making circus with wall brackets, investing huge on Floor standers, shall we check, what best can be done with placement of speakers?
  1. The main constraint observed is the fancy looking cabinet, not having even-platform across the length. The height of the speaker placement is insufficient. Is that cabinet is fixed to floor & Wall? If the house is not rented, you can make some alterations (making even-top and adding legs of 6-8") to cabinet and bring it to required height.
  2. Those bookshelves are rear ported. Hanging on wall means; you need to maintain the breathing space of at least 6" from wall to speaker back. Wall hanging normally works better with sealed speaker boxes, but not with ported ones, particularly rear ported. You might get disappointed again.
  3. Let us try to understand the current placement of speakers. Each and every element in the room play crucial role in sound re-production, that too when using hi-fi bookshelves+center+sub. The Photograph of the placement is not giving clear picture of surroundings (even considering the floor plan). It seems the main door is at right side (near the sub). That may not an ideal placer for the sub. We cant make out what is at far left side. The image is cut. Out of the 15 ft width you referred, only 8-9 ft covered in the photo. Is there any doors at left side, making opening to bedrooms? or plain wall? no clue. You can share some more photos of wide angle, giving a clear view of all the 4 sides, the FMs can suggest better placement.
Thank you for taking time to write a detailed answer. On the left I have a dining table. There is a sliding glass door that opens into balcony. I have covered the door with heavy curtains.This is the reason I did not put Sub on left.
I will share more pics in next post .

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back