gsenthil99

Hello Guys,

Details of existing setup -

AVR - Denon 2310
Panasonic Bluray Player
WD Live TV
Speakers - Mordant Short Avant Series.
Tablet - iPad

I am planning get myself a NAS to primarily to store music(flac) and HD Movies(.mkv and m2ts). Looking at a NAS with Bitorrent.

How good is the Netgear Ready NAS ? Is it money well spent ?

Also about the router.. was looking at the Netgear N600 - Is this good enough to stream HD movies onto my iPad ??

How does the netear compare itself to the Buffallo or the synology ? What are the pros and cons ?

If your budget is around 15K, setup as PC with suitable NAS software. You will have the flexibility of increasing your storage better than off-the-shelf products. With HD movies, storage will get filled faster than expected.

I am using Netgear ReadyNAS NV+
It's very good for flac and has bittorrent support too. I found it not fast enough for full HD movies.

I am using Netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabit router. This router can also act as a media server using a USB hard disc. I am not sure about the speed since I have never tried it.

(Among the NAS that I searched - I didn't go for buffalo since their operating system was stored on the hard disc itself, qnap and synology don't have a local service center in my area. Seagate was not freely available locally and IBM was very expensive for my budget)

See this for more on my impression - http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/24727-netgear-readynas-nv-my-impression.html

Last edited:
I bought a Synology 2 bay NAS last week. Synology's v4 OS is rated very good with many features and apps. They have download feature too and supports HDDs upto 4TB. Their website is well structured and lists their products by intended audience which is helpful while researching the products.

You would need to consider the number of bays, hot swap capabilities etc.

Back