Increase hight of floor stands!

pupupuchi28

Well, I'll be straight to the point.

Problem: The towers are approx 3 ft high and the axis of tweeter is almost 6-8 inches below the ear level, when seated in the sofa. Even the TV stand is somewhat tall, compared to the towers. In all, the sound appears to come from the middle of TV rack instead of 'lower middle' of TV.

Constrainsts : I dont want to change the sofas, TV rack in order to bring down the overall listening possition. I dont want to sell the towers neither do I want to sell them in near future.

Probable solutions : Make a box of plywood slightly bigger than the base of the tower, with the front open, all sides closed. Cover the base of the box with accoustic pads (available in ebay for Rs 400) and all other surfaces with thick 'cord' cloth, not paint. I plan to use the box with partition in between, for stacking my CD / DVD etc collection.

Question :
- Is this a good idea?
- Are there any better alternatives to this?
- Is this going to impact the overall sound (resonance), given that all sides would be closed and front open?
- Any other suggestion?

Regards,
Pupu

I would prefer a more solid platform than a box. Why not a thick block of wood or stone ? If you want a box, then seal it perfectly and then fill it with dry sand instead of acoustic pads.

As Shivam was indicating, a hollow box under the speakers would make the them sound really bad.

Rather than raising the speakers, perhaps angling them upward a bit, without compromising their stability, might help (if there are no obstructions between the tweeters and your listening position).

Keep your Under-the -speaker box / stand open Back to back. That way you can store CDs ( back - to back also ) and not need Any Acoustic padding.

Also angling the speakers up is a Good suggestion.

why not slabs of marble/granite one above another ..this will add up a few inches and people did report speaker sounding solid on granite... a hollow box might end up into unwanted vibrations...and distortions..

why not slabs of marble/granite one above another ..this will add up a few inches and people did report speaker sounding solid on granite... a hollow box might end up into unwanted vibrations...and distortions..

I have done the exact thing for a few of my components. I have used three slabs of granite one on top of another with silicon glue (the kind used for gluing glass for aquariums) holding them together.

I had the same problem - solved by small wooden stands - about a foot high. and scewed to the base of the towers

marble slabs with dampening between them ?? just a weird idea though... or single solid marble/granite block.. you can get them from the mable cutting industries. they will have multiple peices of that size useless.. else a single solid wood block.. again from the wood cutting industry..

make sure the block./slab be atleast a inch more in width and depth than that of the speakers.. as it will make them more stable.. might take the look off though but better to be safe rather looking good at hig risk of rolling off from the platform..

marble slabs with dampening between them ?? just a weird idea though....

I thought too the same when I first saw it. I saw it under a pair of B&W Nautilus speakers along with some heavy tube amps in Ukraine.

When later in India, I compared the price of silicon glue and granite slabs to the price of a single granite slab of the same thickness, I found the multiple layered base an attractive option.

I had the same problem with my bookshelves + stands. Wanted to raise them by a few inches (~1-2). Went to a granite shop and got six 1x17x18 inch pieces. They will only sell large unfinished ~ 5x8' pieces. For some money, they will do the cutting and finishing. He also offered me thicker slabs, but I wasn't sure if I (or the floor) could handle it. The slabs are quite heavy. Besides, I preferred 1 inch thickness because I could do finer adjustments to the height if I wanted to.

I have placed them on top of packing foam. I was worried about the tiles getting damaged. Not sure if something that heavy would need damping.

Last edited:
I got some speaker bases made out of Granite for my Jamo E570 speakers some 8 years ago. Here are some poor quality pics from when I was doing a trial of those in my then newly built Home Theater room:

DSC06965.jpg

I even got the word "Jamo" sticker cut in silver color reflective sticker:eek:hyeah:
DSC06958.jpg

Recently I got speaker bases made out of thick steel for my B&W DM3000 speakers by Mr.Murthy. He has done a very good job. Will post pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
let me ask a question just out of curiosity. Can one hang them from roof with good ropes? I have read this being done by some guys in a recording studio to achieve best possible isolation. However, no one has reported the trick being used to adjust height.

Hi Jaudere,
It is called soffit mounting and used commonly in Studios. I had once read about the technique on some site where they had soffit mounted ATC100s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heres whats reccomended for the BW

this design is also used as pedestals for short floorstanders

worked on a design a while back

I got some speaker bases made out of Granite for my Jamo E570 speakers some 8 years ago. Here are some poor quality pics from when I was doing a trial of those in my then newly built Home Theater room:

Santosh love the fact that your granite speaker bases came with JAMO on them. Does this dealer engrave other brands too on to the slabs ?(pun intended) :D .

On a serious note, looks neat pal.

Santosh love the fact that your granite speaker bases came with JAMO on them. Does this dealer engrave other brands too on to the slabs ?(pun intended) :D
:lol::clapping:

On a serious note, looks neat pal.
Thanks buddy, got the granite slabs made by a chap who makes granite kitchen sinks and got "Jamo" scanned and computer-cut by a chap who makes automobile registration plates :). I have been wanting to change that to B&W having switched brands now, but have been too lazy:sad:.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back