India Launch date of PS3 Slim:

Sumit

Hey Guys!!

Does anybody have clues about the launch date of PS3 slim in India?

TIA,

Cheers!

As of now there is no Official confirmation from Sony India but its believed that as soon as their stocks lasts then only they would be able to import slim and sell it officially in India.

As of now there is no Official confirmation from Sony India but its believed that as soon as their stocks lasts then only they would be able to import slim and sell it officially in India.

Ashish, buddy we had a telecon on this. I was hoping some other member would give me a 'favorable' reply> Spoiled my mood man.:sad:
I am so eager to buy this. Lemme know as soon as u have some more info.

It should be out in November, At least that's what the internet has been telling

Last edited:
Sumit, not sure if you are comfortable buying off ebay. If you are, then my post here might be useful to you. FYI, today is the last day to avail this deal after which it might be above 20k. My PS3 slim will be here in a day or two (it will be shipped only today due to diwali holidays).

http://www.hifivision.com/console-gaming/5634-ps3-slim-confirmed-usd-299-a-4.html#post81199

Thanks Teky for the info.

Santhosh, I am comfortable buying off internet. But, buying ps3 now will give me region A for BR. I want region C as in India region. I would have bought PS3 a long time ago if ebay was selling region C.

Thanks Teky for the info.

Santhosh, I am comfortable buying off internet. But, buying ps3 now will give me region A for BR. I want region C as in India region. I would have bought PS3 a long time ago if ebay was selling region C.
Am I missing something? Why do you need region C?

The reason why I wanted Region A was because I can get Blurays from abroad and most people I know travel either from US or Singapore, Malaysia etc. All these countries are Region A.

Am I missing something? Why do you need region C?

The reason why I wanted Region A was because I can get Blurays from abroad and most people I know travel either from US or Singapore, Malaysia etc. All these countries are Region A.

Sontosh I don't want to disapoint you but the time has come when there a good penetration of BLU RAY titles on our shores and they are cheaper than their American Cousins because of organised retailing and bulk buying advantage over individual buying. An eg: a Blu Ray of QOS from Amazon would cost around 1200 bucks after shipping and you have to wait for almost a month to watch it whereas the same is avaliable for 1000 Rs here in India without any wait and its Region locked to C.
So its makes sense now to either buy a region free blu ray player or a region C machine.

Santhosh!!

Ashish and I had discussion w.r.t. region locking before I finalized region C for the same reasons mentioned my Ashish. Although, there is certainly one advantage with region A i.e. sometimes you may find good deals on box sets. Those sure are great. I would miss them.

Cheers!

Sontosh I don't want to disapoint you but the time has come when there a good penetration of BLU RAY titles on our shores and they are cheaper than their American Cousins because of organised retailing and bulk buying advantage over individual buying. An eg: a Blu Ray of QOS from Amazon would cost around 1200 bucks after shipping and you have to wait for almost a month to watch it whereas the same is avaliable for 1000 Rs here in India without any wait and its Region locked to C.
So its makes sense now to either buy a region free blu ray player or a region C machine.

Thanks Ashish, you have a point. In Audio CDs and DVDs, there is a marked difference in the quality of audio and video when it is bought abroad. Has this changed with Blu Ray? I have no experience with Blu Ray, hence the question.

Like you said, best would be to have a region free player. Otherwise, options become really limited. Also, I plan to rent movies from a lending library and I am told by fellow-member, bhash that most movies there are either A, C or region-free. He bought two BD players(A & C) because of this. If this becomes too much of a problem for me, I'll just buy a BD-Rom drive for my PC and copy the movie to the Hard Disk and play it via the PS3 or xStreamer.

I am also praying that one of the things that will happen is a region-free soft/hard hack for the Slim PS3:)

Yes Sumit, US has some fabulous deals sometimes. Also, we can get entire TV-series.

Last edited:
Thanks Ashish. Best would be to have a region free player. Otherwise, options become really limited. I also plan to rent movies from a lending library and I am told that most movies there are either A, C or region-free. Subhash bought two BD players(A & C) because of this. If this becomes too much of a problem for me, I'll just buy a BD-Rom drive for my PC and copy the movie to the Hard Disk and play it via the PS3 or xStreamer.

I am also praying that one of the things that will happen is a region-free soft/hard hack for the Slim PS3.

Yes I know about Subhash's purchases of 2 BD players as I spoke to him over the phone, and he is using his Pioneer BD52 for region A disks and Philips for region C. I thing that the BD rom drive would be the best option for you to rip BD's to your HDD and then play it using your Xtreamer and not PS3.

Thanks Ashish, you have a point. In Audio CDs and DVDs, there is a marked difference in the quality of audio and video when it is bought abroad. Has this changed with Blu Ray? I have no experience with Blu Ray, hence the question.

Yes Sumit, US has some fabulous deals sometimes. Also, we can get entire TV-series.

There is no difference between the BDs in India and Imported and this I can say after testing almost 40 BDs from India as well as abroad.

I understand about the boxed pack deals in US but once you add customs duty and Shipping charges to it, it becomes a deal killer.

An extract from the interview with Mr Atindria Bose,PS India head and he had already said that the slim will launch in the month of Nov 09.

Why is the 160 GB version of PS3 not available in India (officially, but available in the grey market). I understand that PS3 Slim is the premium version of the current PS3 (less size, 120 GB). But since there is no considerable change in the features will the price of the slim version same as the current 80 GB version? - Arun

Hi Arun,

The 160 GB version is currently unavailable in the format compatible with India. The new slim, 120 GB PS3 will be launched in the Indian market in Nov 09 and is dependent on the normal logistics cycle. As of now, we plan to launch the new slim 120 GB PS3 at the same price of the current 80 GB model i.e. INR 19990/-. But while one will be getting two free games with the PS3 80 GB model, the new slim 120 GB PS3 model will be available unbundled i.e. without any free game software along with it.

Tech2.com India > An Interview with Atindriya Bose > Features > Gaming > PS3

There is no difference between the BDs in India and Imported and this I can say after testing almost 40 BDs from India as well as abroad.

@ Ashish (not Ashish Ji:D) - What about our all powerful censor board? Won't the BDs available here go through their holier than thou scissors?:eek:

@ Ashish (not Ashish Ji:D) - What about our all powerful censor board? Won't the BDs available here go through their holier than thou scissors?:eek:

Eggjactly,we will have the BDs go through the painful process of cutting and alteration :lol:

The 160 GB version is currently unavailable in the format compatible with India. The new slim, 120 GB PS3 will be launched in the Indian market in Nov 09 and is dependent on the normal logistics cycle. As of now, we plan to launch the new slim 120 GB PS3 at the same price of the current 80 GB model i.e. INR 19990/-. But while one will be getting two free games with the PS3 80 GB model, the new slim 120 GB PS3 model will be available unbundled i.e. without any free game software along with it.[/B]

Tech2.com India > An Interview with Atindriya Bose > Features > Gaming > PS3

20K. thats 33% more than the US msrp, and these guys claim that they keep the same prices globally:sad:

Offcourse they pass through censor board certification but its only displayed on the covers of the disks rather than the disk itself. i.e when we play regular Indian DVD's which have passed through censor board certification, they show a copy of the censor certificate on the screen before the start of the movie but this hasn't been the case with Blu Ray's yet and this led me to assume that the disks are imported and only the covers are printed here in India. Its this reason that most of the titles which has nudity or any censor objectinable material is not released in India, best eg: Watchmen, The Wrestler, The Informers and they might not be able to make it officially in India and specially on blu ray disks.

Eggjactly,we will have the BDs go through the painful process of cutting and alteration :lol:

Can you imagine censor certified Malena? Or, John Mclane without his "yppie-ka-ye-yae ________"

Offcourse they pass through censor board certification but its only displayed on the covers of the disks rather than the disk itself. i.e when we play regular Indian DVD's which have passed through censor board certification, they show a copy of the censor certificate on the screen before the start of the movie but this hasn't been the case with Blu Ray's yet and this led me to assume that the disks are imported and only the covers are printed here in India. Its this reason that most of the titles which has nudity or any censor objectinable material is not released in India, best eg: Watchmen, The Wrestler, The Informers and they might not be able to make it officially in India and specially on blu ray disks.

So, the fact remains: If you don't want to be nannied, get a Reg A BDP.

Yes,afterall the new PS3 is 33% slimmer :lol:

See! We are paying for the Slim's weight loss regime and, we are supposed to be a poor/developing country:p

Shruv you have made the point of buying the Region A BD player but where would you buy your contents from? If you are ready to import disks and pay almost 400 Rs over their Indian Cousins then go for region A. The best bet for the Indian Customers would be to buy a region C player and for contents which don't release in India download from torrents site and play them either through PS3 or Xtreamer or WD tv.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back