Inexpensive Universal Remote

shredder

Hi all
I'm planning to go in for a universal remote. Actually I am already using one universal remote. But I had bought this remote without much research. It is a Philips SRP2003/27 universal remote which controls 3 devices: TV, STB and DVD. However I realised later on that this remote will not work at all with my Seeagate FAT+ media player. It works with my X20, but with limited functionality (for eg: I cannot change the aspect ratio on the TV from this remote). I found out later that some remotes have an "intelligent learning function" which allows you to map specific functions from the original remote.
The thing is that I don't want to shell out too much money on purchasing another universal remote. I came across this (Chinese???) remote called Protouch universal remote which controls upto 5 devices. It also has this intelligent learning function. So question is: will it be able to control my Seagate FAT+ (if not out of the box... then can it do this through the intelligent learning function?)
Anyone using this remote please let me know if it is any good...

Regards

Harmony 525 is available for around 2995/- but not considering it for 2 reasons:
1. many members have reported that their 525s stopped working suddenly for no rhyme or reason. Their ASS appears to be good but why go through the hassles
2. at 2995/- it is good but there was an offer a year back where it was going for 1500/-. Until such offers are revived, if at all, I will not be going for 525.
That is why I want to go for an inexpensive remote with learning function like the Protouch, provided it can control the Seagate FAT+....

Harmony 525 is available for around 2995/- but not considering it for 2 reasons:
1. many members have reported that their 525s stopped working suddenly for no rhyme or reason. Their ASS appears to be good but why go through the hassles
2. at 2995/- it is good but there was an offer a year back where it was going for 1500/-. Until such offers are revived, if at all, I will not be going for 525.
That is why I want to go for an inexpensive remote with learning function like the Protouch, provided it can control the Seagate FAT+....

I am using protouch 501 which is 5-1 bought from ebay at Rs 499 (private listing) working great. This was link Universal 5in1 Remote Control at Rs. 499/- | eBay

Aha! Thanks... just what I was looking for, someone who has experience with this remote. Wondering if you can help me out with this query: it's about the intelligent learning function... does it really work as advertised?
TIA

Aha! Thanks... just what I was looking for, someone who has experience with this remote. Wondering if you can help me out with this query: it's about the intelligent learning function... does it really work as advertised?
TIA

I use it for Panasonic plasma, Sony DVD player, xtreamer and Tata Sky HD +.

I used learning function for TS HD+ record functions and for my xtreamer. Yes for tata sky after setting code, all worked except recording buttons. I used learning function to map those on different keys.

In case of xtreamer I could manage to teach :) (learn function) few keys which helps is working and browsing. Somehow it could not learn all of those keys may be I need to try with new cells in place for xtreamer remote.

For TV and DVD player it worked with direct codes.

Why not try the OneForAll remotes? I am using the SmartControl (I think 7906) - I use it to control my Panny LCD, Sony Blu-ray, Logitech Music Anywhere, Cambridge Audio amp and TataSky STB. Amazing value for its price I say. And it has the learning function too.

What is the price? It doesn't look all that cheap, and inexpensive is what I'm looking for...

I have used both OneForAll and Logitech Harmony. Both were RF.
Good thing about Harmony is the remote update from PC. That is a big plus because Logitech has the remote database for every device. This has been our choice of remote and it replaced the OneForAll.

OneForAll was also great, not so much ergonomic, but okay. Price wise, it was $30 compared to $99 of Harmony. They also have a huge database of devices, almost comparable to Logitech. You can download the new codes/devices from their website in the form of wav files, put the OFA remote in listen mode and it gets updated. There are some other options like diy JP1 connector and you can connect it to PC. You can find the info on net.

I am using protouch 501 which is 5-1 bought from ebay at Rs 499 (private listing) working great. This was link Universal 5in1 Remote Control at Rs. 499/- | eBay

Well, the item description seems to be meeting my requirements as well, but there appears to be an issue with Ebay. I am unable to add this item (a newer listing of this product from the same seller) to my cart as it is stuck at some SMS process (which despite multiple rounds of completion - still fails to acknowledge last activation!)...Any idea if this is being retailed anywhere in Delhi-NCR?

Well, the item description seems to be meeting my requirements as well, but there appears to be an issue with Ebay. I am unable to add this item (a newer listing of this product from the same seller) to my cart as it is stuck at some SMS process (which despite multiple rounds of completion - still fails to acknowledge last activation!)...Any idea if this is being retailed anywhere in Delhi-NCR?

What exactly is the problem with your ebay account?

You can consider the following options also

Buy Universal Remote Control For All TV DVD Players | Lowest prices on Electronics at Rediff Shopping.

Buy Universal Remote online, Universal Remote Price, Reviews @ Indiatimes Shopping.

Thanks Baijuxavior, The listing in ebay requires mobile number to be verified, but somehow I am unable to complete the process, even after submitting the SMS code received, etc.

These 2 listings are interesting but have you tried any of the remotes listed?

Well, Finally got the Protouch UR 501 L at Rs. 499.

The build is not that sturdy the buttons are a bit too soft for my taste. But overall it delivers what I was looking for.

Have configured it for my LG Plasma TV, Philips DVD player, WDTV Live and Tata Sky HD +. Able to operate all 4 from this single remote without any issues. Phew a relief from hunting so many remotes!

The build is not that sturdy the buttons are a bit too soft for my taste. But overall it delivers what I was looking for.

Have configured it for my LG Plasma TV, Philips DVD player, WDTV Live and Tata Sky HD +. Able to operate all 4 from this single remote without any issues. Phew a relief from hunting so many remotes!

This one looks better built and is a sony..
NEW SONY RM-V202 RMV202 Universal Remote control | eBay

do u get codes downloaded from internet or you have to manually train the remote?

do u get codes downloaded from internet or you have to manually train the remote?

Well there is no downloading of codes as such. It allows for:

- Device configuration - comes with a booklet where in codes for a huge list of TV, DVD, VCR, Set top boxes is given and you can select as per your device/model

- Search mode - you need to search for the exact IR code for a device (tiresome)

- Learning mode - you use your existing remote for the device and train this universal remote to map to keys of existing remote - this is the method I used for recording functions in Tata Sky +, Phillips DVD player and remote for WDTV. Hardly took 10 mins to configure all the keys!

but One for all remote from Croma at 1000,1500,1999 i bought the touch screen kameleon for 1999 gr8 remote sexy looks.
worked with Sony Lcd, Onkyo AVR, WD tv live(code downloaded), tatasky. Samsung DVD player

Are refurbished Harmony Remotes good and can be trusted?

This ebay link is selling Harmony 700 for half the price: Logitech Harmony 700 Rechargeable Remote w/Color Screen | eBay

After going through this thread I am confused. The Pro Touch looks good on pocket but having a weird key for recording or trying to make it learn my speaker remote buttons seems tedious. Can someone post a high res front pic of the remote so that I can see what buttons it has.

Thanks in advance

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back