Integrated Amp for the Monitor Audio RX6

zoso02

Hi All...

Thank you for all the help you guys have given me in setting up my system up till now.

I currently have the following...MA RX6...connected to a Pioneer PD D9 and the amp is a Harmon Kardon HK 3490. I am not very familiar with the different integrated amps and how they would work with the RX6.

Would you guys think that changing my amp in this set up will make a drastic difference to the sound? If so which one would go well with the RX6. I listen to Classic Rock...blues...Jazz and Pop/Hip Hop from time to time. Like good tight bass, wide soundstage and crisp treble.

Do let me know...

- Jas

good tight bass, wide soundstage and crisp treble.

- Jas

@zoso02, they HK's are already known for EXACTLY what you have described above...i myself own a HK3390...the NAD's have a slightly airy quality to their sound...the hK's are a little forward...ultimately it's a personal choice!:rolleyes:...(but somewhere inside me i like the NAD's :lol:)..

Hmm...thanks! I get what you mean...any experience with pairing the Marantz with the RX6 or any other MA's?

how old is your HK3490?....if it's less than 50 to 100hrs old i'll say give it some time to burn in...you can never judge equipment before they burn in...they'll only smoothen out in time...so give your amp and speakers some time and then decide which one of them you want to change....i'm sincerely hoping my HK and the ushers smoothen out ...i'm really not liking the forward sound.

zoso, one of our members is using the rs6 with CA 640 amp and matching CD player and is very happy with the pairing.

Hmm...thanks! I get what you mean...any experience with pairing the Marantz with the RX6 or any other MA's?

I have auditioned both the RS6 and BR6 with Marantz 7003 amp. The pairing was quite musical... clear mids and highs and acceptable bass...the output was more close to neutral as compared to a NAD which sound a little enhanced on low frequencies to my ears.... Also I felt that the RS6 demanded a more powerful amp as compared to the BR6.

Thank you everyone...
HK is around 80 -100 hrs old...
I will check out the CA and the Marantz...thanks!

I felt the same when I moved from the BR6 which is 150W to RX6 125W it needed more power...can't understand why that would happen. Any thoughts? Both are 6ohms.

Hi,
I have observed* this (purely through web-articles), though this may not be a rule, but speakers that need to deliver tight and low bass accompanied with good mids and treble tend to have a kind of design where cones are stiffer and voice-coils consume lot of current. Cross-overs in such speakers may also be more demanding than regulars ones.
*In case my observation are misplaced, I request audio-gurus to clarify the matter.

Hence two different speakers having same wattage value and impedance (6 ohms* in your case) may actually demand different amount of energy to sing well.

Some examples of speaker-brands (especially bookshelves) needing a strong amp, are Dynaudio, ATC, Ushers etc. Not surprisingly these are renowned for their SQ (and price :D)

Regds,
Sonosphere

I felt the same when I moved from the BR6 which is 150W to RX6 125W it needed more power...can't understand why that would happen. Any thoughts? Both are 6ohms.

Hi,
I have observed* this (purely through web-articles), though this may not be a rule, but speakers that need to deliver tight and low bass accompanied with good mids and treble tend to have a kind of design where cones are stiffer and voice-coils consume lot of current. Cross-overs in such speakers may also be more demanding than regulars ones.
*In case my observation are misplaced, I request audio-gurus to clarify the matter.

Hence two different speakers having same wattage value and impedance (6 ohms* in your case) may actually demand different amount of energy to sing well.

Some examples of speaker-brands (especially bookshelves) needing a strong amp, are Dynaudio, ATC, Ushers etc. Not surprisingly these are renowned for their SQ (and price :D)

Regds,
Sonosphere

AH!...and i thought something was wrong with my ushers!!!..:rolleyes:
my HK3390 has to be turned up almost to an unbelievable 3/4th level to get some decent volume.:mad:

You got Ushers ? too :indifferent14:

yes yes..:indifferent14:....remember i told you i wanted to pick up the wharf 9.2's....well...i won't be shopping again for equipment for a long time..(hopefully)..so i decided to stretch my budget a little bit and get something good....lo and behold i had ARN Systems send me the Usher S520.:yahoo:

Last edited:
yes yes..:indifferent14:....remember i told you i wanted to pick up the wharf 9.2's....well...i won't be shopping again for equipment for a long time..(hopefully)..so i decided to stretch my budget a little bit and get something good....lo and behold i had ARN Systems send me the Usher S520.:yahoo:

Nice .... :clapping: how much you paid ?

Hi aerodash,
Some more aspects relevant to your case...
Apart from the backing amp, the break-in period also matters a lot in such speakers. For Usher S520, 100 hrs playing at moderate volume is the minimum required to get its legs warmed up for a good race (read this somewhere on a US forum). Not that S520 won't sound good out of the box (compared to others in same price range) but you would find it's performance going to next level after 150 hrs (improved bass extension, more subtle details, and better than earlier "smooth /refined" sound... and all this without you paying anything on upgradation ;).

In case your amp is new too (i.e less than 50 hrs burn-in) thats another reason its not delivering the SQ... so you tend to drive it louder to get some impact (It will deliver the required wattage, but not SQ... sounds confusing?... this aspect of amp burn-in is a "known" fact, but there are no tests to prove it, since "SQ appreciation" is a complex function presently not deciphered by programs /algorithms)

Regds,
Sonosphere

my HK3390 has to be turned up almost to an unbelievable 3/4th level to get some decent volume.:mad:

@sonosphere......the amp is as new as the speakers...:sad:..so the wait continues!....21hrs and counting..

Ushers need lots of power to sound fine. while your HK may be good, it will really open up with a better quality amplifier esp. an integrated or a stand alone.

Might be repeating my self...I have the HK3490 Stereo Receiver...do u feel that the MA RX6 would work drastically well with the CA 840A or the NAD 327. I am getting both used at a fairly good price. Could sell my HK but need to be sure that the sound will be far better. The source...cables etc are all good.

Might be repeating my self...I have the HK3490 Stereo Receiver...do u feel that the MA RX6 would work drastically well with the CA 840A or the NAD 327. I am getting both used at a fairly good price. Could sell my HK but need to be sure that the sound will be far better. The source...cables etc are all good.

I dont think its a fair comparison between the CA and HK devices. A stereo receiver vs. an integrated are very different beasts. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the CA over HK if finances allowed for it.

Woudl it be drastically different, I dont think so. But different it will sure be in the output. HK are very musical and sort of warmish. CA is quite dynamic, throws a large soundstage and has got more power to offer.

I have not come across the NAD 327 specifically so cannot comment.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back