Integrated Amplifier for stereo setup

@Jeanpher

A few silly questions.
Have you calibrated your AVR?
Denon (like the Marantz I have) should have source/channel/tone level controls.
Are all of these at factory settings (0dB by default)?
If it is at 0dB, then you may have to turn up the volume higher to perceive loudness.

Playing around with these 3 controls will make changes the way speakers sound.

Cheers,
Raghu

Tone levels are
Bass +5db
Treble +4db

Input/Source level 0db

Channel, what is this? u mean Bi-amp?

Let me assume this is your chain
SW player on Laptop (HDMI out) --> AVR (HDMI in) --> Speakers (Left/Right)
No sub-woofer
In SW player, keep Volume at max and equalizer disabled.
Use a FLAC file as reference.

On AVR
Volume level at 30%
source level to 0dB (pg 144)
channel level to 0dB (pg 158)
tone levels to 0dB (pg 131)

Start playback. Increase source level. Increase L/R levels. Increase tone levels. Perceived loudness will differ with each level increase or combination.
Get the levels comfortable listening levels with a volume range of 30-40%

Or use AudesseyXT to auto configure.

Cheers,
Raghu

My source for Music/Movies, FLAC/320kbps files played through HDMI from Laptop.

Keep the volumes in your software, I suppose its foobarhttps://www.foobar2000.org/ and windows master volume to full with all equalizers either disabled or flat.

Hi Elangoas; Please explain me, about these modes as am not aware of it.

Direct Mode basically bypasses all processing that the AVR does to the audio signal. You could use this or Stereo modes to listen to music. BUT, before this, run your Audyssey setup (again if already done) using the Audyssey Mic you got with your receiver. This would setup your speaker distance, levels, etc. You could refer to this article if not done already: How to MultEQ | Audyssey

How do I add DAC to my setup, if my source is Laptop connected through HDMI, please suggest some DAC too?

Your receiver has decent DACs, you might not need another one, however, if you still do, look up Amazon, Flipkart, etc for DACs.

Tone levels are
Bass +5db
Treble +4db

Input/Source level 0db

Channel, what is this? u mean Bi-amp?

Audyssey Setup should set these up. You could always tweak them later. This is not bi-amping, To know about Biamping: http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/7884-bi-amping-bi-wiring.html#post103010

Would also, request you to read up the manual, which will help you setup your equipment correctly and maybe save you some money.

MaSh

Last edited:
Hi jeanpher, just to share my experience- I used a Marantz 5007 for both movies and music. My front speakers are Monitor audios floor standers. No amount of bi amping or direct or source direct could give me the satisfaction of listening to music. Finally I added a Rotel R A 10 amp from which I run separate chord carnival cables to the front speakers. When listening to movies I quickly change the cables to the ones running from my avr. The difference in listening to music is HUGE. I had also tried adding a power amp to the pre outs of the Marantz but nothing like having a separate independent integrated amp.Good luck in your quest.

Hi Raghupb & mash,

As you two suggest, I will run my Audyssey setup and revert back with my experience.

Have a nice weekend

Hi jeanpher, just to share my experience- I used a Marantz 5007 for both movies and music. My front speakers are Monitor audios floor standers. No amount of bi amping or direct or source direct could give me the satisfaction of listening to music. Finally I added a Rotel R A 10 amp from which I run separate chord carnival cables to the front speakers. When listening to movies I quickly change the cables to the ones running from my avr. The difference in listening to music is HUGE. I had also tried adding a power amp to the pre outs of the Marantz but nothing like having a separate independent integrated amp.Good luck in your quest.

Its look like you had the same feeling what i have now, thanks for sharing your experience, i will try to find some FM who can source me a Integrated Amp to audition with my FS :).

Even audition budget amps like yamaha A S500 or the Norge amps just to get a fair idea of how far or close your existing listening experience is from your expected one. I used to have the Norge 2060 before the Marantz and Rotel and I am still surprised with the value which the amp used to offer given its price.

If at all I want to add DAC in my chain, How do I do it?, Because I use Laptop as source which is connected through HDMI cable but in all DAC(what I checked) I dont see a HDMI in/out, so how do set it up?

If at all I want to add DAC in my chain, How do I do it?, Because I use Laptop as source which is connected through HDMI cable but in all DAC(what I checked) I dont see a HDMI in/out, so how do set it up?

You don't need to run HDMI to a dac. All you need is a USB 2.0 cable. Most of the consumer dacs (even a zillion $ dac) takes input in form USB 2.0 or a digital co-axial/tosslink.

I would like to suggest you hear your speaker or a Paradigm from the same series with amps ranging from low budget to substantially beyond your present budget just to get an idea of the sound at various price points.

@Jeanpher

PM me and come home to take a look at my jig
I have AVR and IA with external amp and DAC and BS speakers

You can audition and see if you are missing anything; if so what and how to address it

Cheers,
Raghu

When I set out to get my setup, I have visited many FM homes to listen to various rigs. It was an eye (and ear) opening experience to say the least.
Can I ever forget the welcome I received at ALL these FM homes :clapping:

Last edited:
Let me assume this is your chain
SW player on Laptop (HDMI out) --> AVR (HDMI in) --> Speakers (Left/Right)
No sub-woofer
In SW player, keep Volume at max and equalizer disabled.
Use a FLAC file as reference.

On AVR
Volume level at 30%
source level to 0dB (pg 144)
channel level to 0dB (pg 158)
tone levels to 0dB (pg 131)

Start playback. Increase source level. Increase L/R levels. Increase tone levels. Perceived loudness will differ with each level increase or combination.
Get the levels comfortable listening levels with a volume range of 30-40%

Or use AudesseyXT to auto configure.

Cheers,
Raghu

After applying your above idea, i felt some improvement, thank a lot.:)

@Jeanpher
It was a pleasure having you at home and experiment with my rig. Hope you had a good time and heard a difference on a dedicated stereo setup.
For your reference (and to other members looking for something similar) this is chain you heard:

ASUS O! Play Media Player (Opt out) or Laptop (Foobar via USB) --> Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC -->
Marantz PM7001 (in Integreted Amp mode) --> KEF R300 (3-way stand mount speakers)
Marantz PM7001 (in preamp mode) --> Outlaw Audio M2200 (power amps) --> KEF R300

Equipment specs/ratings:
PM7001 is rated 70W; Outlaws are rated 200W; KEFs are rated 25-120W, 88dB SPL
Cables and Interconnects:
OPT/USB (generic stuff), RCAs and Bananas are MX brand, DIY Speaker wire (Finolex 2.5 sq. mm electrical wire)

Cheers,
Raghu

@Jeanpher
It was a pleasure having you at home and experiment with my rig. Hope you had a good time and heard a difference on a dedicated stereo setup.
For your reference (and to other members looking for something similar) this is chain you heard:

ASUS O! Play Media Player (Opt out) or Laptop (Foobar via USB) --> Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC -->
Marantz PM7001 (in Integreted Amp mode) --> KEF R300 (3-way stand mount speakers)
Marantz PM7001 (in preamp mode) --> Outlaw Audio M2200 (power amps) --> KEF R300

Equipment specs/ratings:
OPT/USB (generic stuff), RCAs and Bananas are MX brand, DIY Speaker wire (Finolex 2.5 sq. mm electrical wire)

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you so much for inviting and letting me listen to your rig, I felt much difference, when i listened to Marantz PM70001 & KefR300 combo compared to my Denon AVR and understood always a dedicated stereo system will be better than an compromising AVR, difference felt was vocals in center stage, which can be achieved by placement of speaker, fine details in music, clean and subtle sound, which was overthrown by bass/placement of speakers in my system.

But At last when you played "Mettalica-Nothing else matters" in your pre-power combo (Pre-Marantz & Power Two Outlaw Mono block), that is where i felt how music can sound awesome:yahoo: in an dedicated stereo system.
Here i decided i should make my system sound like same, with IA or pre-power combo and definitely a decent DAC or speaker placement. Continuing my quest in the same

The long discussion we had over a period of three hours, that was very much knowledgeable, thank you so much for that, looking forward to continue our relationship with the same...

Have a nice week ahead.:clapping:

But At last when you played "Mettalica-Nothing else matters" in your pre-power combo (Pre-Marantz & Power Two Outlaw Mono block), that is where i felt how music can sound awesome:yahoo: in an dedicated stereo system.

Yes, Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" is true to its name in my rig/space.
Song and listener connected directly, everything else somehow magically disappears.

Cheers,
Raghu

@Jeanpher

Equipment specs/ratings:

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

In the above setup PM7001 and Outlaw M2200 are connected to the same speaker KEF R300. Can you please detail how did you connect it?
In general 2 amplifiers driving same speaker.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back